“I am embarrassed that I even stayed here..” 1 of 5 stars

Seaway Inn
176 West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Capitola, California
“I am embarrassed that I even stayed here..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you want a closet size room, like sleeping inside a closet ok. If you have any luggage you can't even walk by the luggage , this room was dirty, small and icky.
I was here in business and all rooms were booked due too some convention or something. I have a feeling they are writing their own reviews, lol. Because this place was just ICK.

Parking horrible. Clerk was well no eye contact and not interested. Just rude and horrible. Please don't even respond with your B.S. robotic "WE are so sorry we are so upset you had issues", because I never in my life will be in the position again, I will plan ahead from now on. ICK!!!

Room Tip: Avoid , really gross..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Guest did ask us not to respond; privately emailed guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the seaway inn Santa Cruz. The motel had a really laid back/surfer vibe with floral bedspreads and loungers on the balcony. We had a lovely view over the boardwalk from the room, and everything was easy stroll from the hotel. The bed was also huge and super comfortable! I think the nicest thing about the seaway overall was the laid back atmosphere - best experiences you can have are when the feeling is just "right"!

• Stayed March 2013
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property on Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the "laid back atmosphere." We very much hope to see you again, should you ever be in our area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to this motel as the one across the road was full. Best decision we made as half the price and superb value for money. Staff extremely helpful and informative. Room was very spacious. TV not working so upgraded us without charge. Very clean. Close to pier and all local spots.

Highly recommended

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. That TV issue was taken care of a.s.a.p. and was happy to hear that you were immediately taken care of. We look forward to seeing you the next time you happen to visit Santa Cruz!
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I found a room online called "Queen Annex," and called to inquire. The guy working the phone was remarkably professional, warm, and welcoming. He was juggling another caller and a check-in at the time, but always conveyed how important MY time was - and went out of his way to accurately describe the room and all of the amenities available to guests. I was laughing and smiling before I even hung up the phone.

My friend and I stayed in the "Queen Annex," a sweet little studio apartment offsite from the hotel - and we LOVED it!! The location on Front Street is less than a block from the pier. Free parking in this area is rare, but included in the hotel rate, and right outside of the apartment!!! Location, location, location is everything to me in Santa Cruz. I want to be able to park the car until it's time to leave - and this place was absolutely perfect for that.

The room itself wasn't fancy, but it was impeccably clean and certainly had its charms. Queen bed, nightstands, a tv and desk in the main room. Full kitchen with full-size fridge, stove/oven, sink, microwave, and cute little bistro dining set was lovely, and CLEAN (aside from a few pans - which are the responsibility of the guests to wash, I believe). My only complaint about the kitchen set-up is that it wasn't really equipped for much more than very basic cooking, but that was okay. They might want to consider leaving guests more than one fork, one spoon, and one knife - although that might be fun for those on a romantic getaway . . . ?

I was also disappointed that we didn't get a chance to meet the charming man who booked our room. The woman who checked me out seemed rather preoccupied, and didn't even ask if we had enjoyed our stay. All I got was, "Do you want to keep that on the same card?," and "Would you like a receipt?" Okay. But it was a shame, because I was prepared to tell her how much we loved it (and to suggest at least one more set of utensils), if only she had asked. Oh well.

All in all, though, from someone who travels A LOT, this was a really nice experience. If you prefer newer furnishings, and don't care about a kitchen, their main, onsite rooms look lovely. This sweet little studio was perfect for our stay, and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, of our property, on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you only had 1 set of utensils, as we usually have at least a couple of sets since those particular rooms can sleep two people, and you should not have had to wash dirty dishes that were not dirtied by you, that is our staff's responsibility. I will make sure to take care of those issues immediately!
I was sorry to also hear that you were not asked how your stay was, as we usually make a habit out of asking, so we can take care of any issues that may have disturbed your stay or made your stay better; our guest input is the most important input that we get, as you are the ones that stay in those rooms. I will make sure to reiterate with my staff that that question is a very important one, when a guest is checking out, and should be the first question asked.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our area.
Reykjavik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

First time ever we have stayed at a motel and we were not dissapointed with Seaway Inn. The staff is very friendly and everything clean and the bed was comfortable. Isn't that all you really need? Breakfast was fine but coffee not good, everything else great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property! We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the coffee, but luckily, I checking into more options as far as coffee goes. We look forward to seeing you again, should you ever be in our area.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just stayed here Jan 3rd and 4th and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Had unexpectedly driven my daughter back to UCSC after winter break instead of flying and booked the room the night before traveling after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. The room contrary to the latest review was immaculate and very cute, and the beds very comfortable. The room looked like it was recently renovated and the shower was great! I also asked for dinner suggestions from the very nice girl working the front desk and she gave some great advice. Great location, walking distance to the pier. I will definitely be staying here again next time I go up to visit my daughter at college.

Room Tip: Love the upstairs rooms, good view from the common balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review, of our property, on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you were treated well, that our rooms met your standards and I am also happy to hear that you received good advice, as far as places to eat. We look forward to seeing you when you happen to be in Santa Cruz again!
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this motel months before i arrived. I was given a room down the road in a couple of apartments directly across the room from the pier. The location was great. perfect walking distance to the pier where lots of restaurants are situated and the pier fair is just around the corner.

However, the room we were given could only be describes as dark, dingy and unclean. I was very uncomfortable getting into bed, as the sheets felt greasy and old. The fridge had previous guests food still inside and rubbish still in the rubbish bin. The towels for showering were stained with old makeup and unknown stains.

I would not stay here again, I would rather stay further away and walk further to the pier than stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property on Trip Advisor. I am distressed to hear that you did not care for the room that you were assigned to and am completely appalled to hear of all of the issues that you had. Had we been made aware of the situation, we could have rectified the issue immediately, either by moving you to a different room and/or allowing you to check out at no charge, rather than having you stay in a room that you were not satisfied with.
I am completely embarrassed by this particular review and just wish that we were made aware of your situation in August so we could have possibly redeemed ourselves. We are sorry to hear that you will not be back again, but I hope that you enjoyed Santa Cruz overall.

Been to Seaway Inn? Share your experiences!