“Great location and impeccably clean!” 4 of 5 stars

Seaway Inn
176 West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Alameda, California
“Great location and impeccably clean!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I found a room online called "Queen Annex," and called to inquire. The guy working the phone was remarkably professional, warm, and welcoming. He was juggling another caller and a check-in at the time, but always conveyed how important MY time was - and went out of his way to accurately describe the room and all of the amenities available to guests. I was laughing and smiling before I even hung up the phone.

My friend and I stayed in the "Queen Annex," a sweet little studio apartment offsite from the hotel - and we LOVED it!! The location on Front Street is less than a block from the pier. Free parking in this area is rare, but included in the hotel rate, and right outside of the apartment!!! Location, location, location is everything to me in Santa Cruz. I want to be able to park the car until it's time to leave - and this place was absolutely perfect for that.

The room itself wasn't fancy, but it was impeccably clean and certainly had its charms. Queen bed, nightstands, a tv and desk in the main room. Full kitchen with full-size fridge, stove/oven, sink, microwave, and cute little bistro dining set was lovely, and CLEAN (aside from a few pans - which are the responsibility of the guests to wash, I believe). My only complaint about the kitchen set-up is that it wasn't really equipped for much more than very basic cooking, but that was okay. They might want to consider leaving guests more than one fork, one spoon, and one knife - although that might be fun for those on a romantic getaway . . . ?

I was also disappointed that we didn't get a chance to meet the charming man who booked our room. The woman who checked me out seemed rather preoccupied, and didn't even ask if we had enjoyed our stay. All I got was, "Do you want to keep that on the same card?," and "Would you like a receipt?" Okay. But it was a shame, because I was prepared to tell her how much we loved it (and to suggest at least one more set of utensils), if only she had asked. Oh well.

All in all, though, from someone who travels A LOT, this was a really nice experience. If you prefer newer furnishings, and don't care about a kitchen, their main, onsite rooms look lovely. This sweet little studio was perfect for our stay, and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, of our property, on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you only had 1 set of utensils, as we usually have at least a couple of sets since those particular rooms can sleep two people, and you should not have had to wash dirty dishes that were not dirtied by you, that is our staff's responsibility. I will make sure to take care of those issues immediately!
I was sorry to also hear that you were not asked how your stay was, as we usually make a habit out of asking, so we can take care of any issues that may have disturbed your stay or made your stay better; our guest input is the most important input that we get, as you are the ones that stay in those rooms. I will make sure to reiterate with my staff that that question is a very important one, when a guest is checking out, and should be the first question asked.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reykjavik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

First time ever we have stayed at a motel and we were not dissapointed with Seaway Inn. The staff is very friendly and everything clean and the bed was comfortable. Isn't that all you really need? Breakfast was fine but coffee not good, everything else great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of our property! We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the coffee, but luckily, I checking into more options as far as coffee goes. We look forward to seeing you again, should you ever be in our area.
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just stayed here Jan 3rd and 4th and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Had unexpectedly driven my daughter back to UCSC after winter break instead of flying and booked the room the night before traveling after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. The room contrary to the latest review was immaculate and very cute, and the beds very comfortable. The room looked like it was recently renovated and the shower was great! I also asked for dinner suggestions from the very nice girl working the front desk and she gave some great advice. Great location, walking distance to the pier. I will definitely be staying here again next time I go up to visit my daughter at college.

Room Tip: Love the upstairs rooms, good view from the common balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review, of our property, on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you were treated well, that our rooms met your standards and I am also happy to hear that you received good advice, as far as places to eat. We look forward to seeing you when you happen to be in Santa Cruz again!
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this motel months before i arrived. I was given a room down the road in a couple of apartments directly across the room from the pier. The location was great. perfect walking distance to the pier where lots of restaurants are situated and the pier fair is just around the corner.

However, the room we were given could only be describes as dark, dingy and unclean. I was very uncomfortable getting into bed, as the sheets felt greasy and old. The fridge had previous guests food still inside and rubbish still in the rubbish bin. The towels for showering were stained with old makeup and unknown stains.

I would not stay here again, I would rather stay further away and walk further to the pier than stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property on Trip Advisor. I am distressed to hear that you did not care for the room that you were assigned to and am completely appalled to hear of all of the issues that you had. Had we been made aware of the situation, we could have rectified the issue immediately, either by moving you to a different room and/or allowing you to check out at no charge, rather than having you stay in a room that you were not satisfied with.
I am completely embarrassed by this particular review and just wish that we were made aware of your situation in August so we could have possibly redeemed ourselves. We are sorry to hear that you will not be back again, but I hope that you enjoyed Santa Cruz overall.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I searched on Trip Advisor for a good hotel in Santa Cruz and all the positive reviews for this place were very accurate. Excellent value for the very reasonable rates, very short walk to the Santa Cruz board walk, and clean, bright rooms. But what impressed me most was the service-everyone was friendly and helpful and accommodating. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our property on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that all was what you expected. We hope to see you the next time that you happen to be in our area.
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

If possible, we would give Seaway Inn 3 1/2. Because of the great price and location, we've bumped it up to 4.

This old style motel sits right across the street from the Pier, boardwalk and the walking/bike path that runs along the coast. No fancy amenities like a pool or spa, but recently remodeled rooms that were clean and comfortable. A huge plus for us is that they allow dogs. The free breakfast is the usual make-your-own-waffle, cereal, muffins, juices and coffee that are found in most US motels these days. Nothing special, but perfectly adequate. Staff were all very friendly and the free wifi was fast and reliable. We should also mention the free parking available at the Inn. Most of Santa Cruz has parking meters.

We stayed in room 221. The 2 queen beds were very comfy and the water pressure in the new feeling shower was great. There was a futon sofabed that needs some extra padding, but having the extra space to watch TV was nice. This good sized room is at the front of the motel and has a fantastic view.

The cons: Room 221 is the closest to the street and does have a bit of traffic noise, mainly noticed in the mornings. DO NOT stay in this room on a Sunday night. Monday morning is trash day, and pick up is right around dawn, right at the curb below the window. There is nothing the Inn can do to change this huge racket, but it is something to take into consideration.

Room Tip: Pick an upstairs room at the back of the hotel. Room 221 has traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our property on Trip Advisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, but sorry to hear that the garbage truck woke you up, in the morning, and that the futon could use some extra padding. I will make sure to address the futon issue a.s.a.p. This particular room is our most popular and happy that you have suggested it as well. We hope to see you in the future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very decent motel-style inn, with complimentary breakfast, wifi and parking. Staff is friendly and willing to help with any questions we had. Location is good, right across the Pier and about a 10/15-minute walk to downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our property on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you were happy with the location of our property and the fact that we accept pets. I have found that being pet friendly give us a head up on our competition as most properties in our area do not accept pets. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Been to Seaway Inn? Share your experiences!