“Best sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
California
“Best sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is my favorite sushi place. I got engaged here as well in 2005. Highly recommend the Macrandy Roll to those who like the ingredients (Unagi, smoked salmon, mac nuts and cream cheese) and the Sushi Rage roll (Hamachi, tobiko and shizo). Never disappoints me and I have been going since it was just a hole in the wall of a small U shaped sushi bar prior to it's expansion. The essentially free sake bombs on Fri and Sat night were a fun, generous surprise to customers as well.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Corralitos, California
“Once Good, Now DO NO GO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've gone to Mobo dozens of times over last decade, but tonight was the last. Was served barely edible, anemic, dried out "fresh" salmon. On arrival, told the waitress the salmon looked kind of odd -- she said, "oh, that's what we got from our supplier, but we're going to change." Ate a piece, got someone else @ my table to try one - both agreed it was bad. Complained. Waitress brought over manager, said name is "Jun" -- I was prepared to overlook the mediocrity, but he made it SO bad.
Manager arrived all hot and confrontational -- like we'd done something wrong... "Well, if you hadn't eaten half of it, maybe I could do something..." What does that matter, was he going to serve it to someone else??
Please don't go here. There are tons of great restaurants in the area that actually want your business, including several just around the corner or down the street.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sunnyvale, California
“Worst service ever, mediocre sushi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

For starters the reason I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1 is because I've really liked Mobo in the past. Enough to plan my birthday dinner to be there last night.

That was a horrible idea, we got the worst service I've ever had. ANYWHERE.

Origionally we told the hostess we were a group of six. About 5 mintues later I told her the other two people weren't able to make it so it will just be the 4 of us. She replied with they are working on the table and walked away, never changed 6 to 4 on their wait list.

We then proceeded to watch them sit two tables of four (all of which showed up AFTER us). My fiance again mentioned to all 3 hostesses that we are a table of 4 not six. A few minutes later (it's already been over 30 minutes) a hostess says teh table is almost ready. About 10 minutes later she realizes the table she just offered us was for 6 so we had to wait another 15-20 minutes to finally get seated (my stupid stubborness for needing Mobo for my birthday).

We already knew what we wanted but the waitress didn't show up for 10 minutes to take our order.

We then waited ANOTHER 30 minutes for our food.

During that time I went and found the owner to complain, he apologized and said he would check on it. Eventually we got our food (minus our fiancee's). His food didn't show up until everyone else was done eating. I told this again to the owner and how I normally really like the place.

We finish eating and ask for the check. He never offered to comp anything or do anything to make it up to us (oh and by the way, they were told it was my bday and did nothing).

Needless to say, we left no tip at all and will never be back.

Well maybe I'll try to slip in for a free sake bomb one friday or saturday night but they will never get a penny from me.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“Fun surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went there because our GPS showed it was close to where we were, it was late and we were hungry. We were seated next to a huge fishtank that provided endless entertainment for our 8 & 9 year olds. The food was great - we got a "Banana Slug" - it was very creative in looks as well as tasting great.

Visited July 2013
Santa Cruz, California
“Horrible service, uncaring manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The restaurant was not very crowded, but the waitress was unfriendly and the service was very slow. We waited very long to order, our waitress no where to be seen. Our food took very long once we did order. We only ordered a few sushi rolls, an appetizer of Tempura and a Soba dish. The food tasted good but it took way too long to get our food.
Then to make matters worse, the waitress added an 18% gratuity to the bill! We had a party of 5 and they added gratuity!!! When I asked to speak to the manager about the issue, he pulled open a menu to show where it stated that gratuity is added to a party of 5 or more. Unbelievable! I told him we had horrible service, and we did not think our waitress should be getting an 18% tip. He did not care and was equally rude and uncaring.

• Visited July 2013