“Room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
essex
“Room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel has had a nature makeover. There is a giant tree on its side as the front desk and there are photographs of nature throughout. I think it could just do with a few more details and it is somewhat overpiced. The concept and design details fell short for me.The swimming pool area is lovely. the jacuzzi was very large but why have cabbanas with rope across them. I did not see anyone use them whilst I was there-ditch them its not Miami. The restaurant menu is limited and there are so many good ones around. (Just walk through the park, over the bridge to Paradise Ave)The breakfast menu has individually priced items so can work out expensive and there is no childrens menu for breakfast which is strange when most people staying here are children. .
The room was too small for a family of four. When we put our cases out there was little floorspace to walk. There is a coffee machine in the room.
My main issue was with the shuttle. when we were arrived we were told the complementary shuttle would take us to downtown or the beach if we wanted it to. as we had just arrived we thought this would be a good idea but then the man who drives it was also taking in the guests luggage so having waited for 10 minutes we decided to walk. we were told if we call someone will come and get us within 30 minutes so we called just after 6pm and were told someone would pick us up at 6.30 however by 6.55 no-one had arrived. we were cold and tired and had to walk all the way back along the beachfront. no taxis were in sight and we had to go into a motel to ask them to call one for us. When I got back to the hotel I was livid and the children observed my Amy Duncan impression. Apparently, the shuttle driver was late and they were going to call me but my phone had an international dial tone so they did not leave a message. the manager refused to refund the $10 taxi fare. I was very disappointed by his reaction. The staff around the pool area were very attentive. There were about 4 servers who came to our table at breakfast and the food arrived twice. it seemed very disconnected.

Room Tip: There are 5 floors. ask for the 5th floor and a room with a view of the pool and/or gardens behind.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Your candid review is very much appreciated! Thank you for you many kind comments. I'm very sorry for the challenges you encountered with the complimentary shuttle service schedule. Your honest feedback is very helpful as we evaluate our services, as it allows us to make relevant adjustments. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review. I do hope we will see you again for a future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Internet-pictures suggest a promise the real deal does not keep. Ocean Street is awful, the kind of nomansland you get when driving off a highway, and the hotel is just like that - noisy nomansland. The rooms are okay but you cannot open a window and you hear every sneeze of your next-door neighbour. Staff was friendly when needed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our friendly staff. I'm so sorry that the hotel location on Ocean Street was not as you had envisioned, and very disappointed that your stay was impacted by noise. Please accept my apology for this. We do understand that you have a variety of choices when visiting Santa Cruz, and we do strive to provide a unique experience, something different from the hotel area hotels. I regret that we did not provide what you were looking for. Your feedback will help us in our effort to ensure we are clearly communicating the experience we strive to offer.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We were treated very well by the front desk at check in. They provided a free shuttle to the boardwalk and close locations which has really great. The shuttle driver Alex was very kind and knowledgable.

The room was clean and decorated in a modern way that was very relaxing. And the bed was very comfortable.

The problem I personally had with the hotel was the pool. Don't get me wrong, it is gorgeous. The music was chill and it had an awesome setup. But, at our afternoon arrival it was over run by kids. Of course, it's August and it is to be expected at any hotel pool, so my husband and I decided to return later after 9pm when we assumed most of the kids would have cleared out and we can enjoy a romantic adult couple evening. We were wrong.

The pool still had lots of children running around, but we still thought at least the large hot tub would be kid free. Nope. We honestly counted at least 10 children in the hot tub. And to top it off, there was an entire family enjoying their dinner of burgers & fries, while still standing in the hot tub. We could barely sit and relax without getting splashed by the kids so we had to leave.

Sigh. I really wanted to love this hotel, but unless I was bringing kids or NOT planning to enjoy the pool, I will not be returning again. I discovered they sell day and season passes for the pool. Good idea, but I really think they need to decide if they are going for an adult or family atmosphere.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you stayed with us and happy to hear that overall you enjoyed the service and décor of the hotel. Please accept my apology that the ambiance at the pool was impacted from other guests and their children. I'm very sorry that this had a negative affect on your ability to enjoy this experience. Your feedback is critical as we evaluate our services. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again to enjoy an experience more typical of Hotel Paradox.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at the Paradox. Easy check-in. Clean room even in the hard to get spots. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or pool service area but the area looked clean. We even happened to run into a staff member in the elevator and they asked if everything was going well and if we needed anything!! Above and beyond!! This is what makes a stay all the better!!

• Stayed August 2014
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience! We're so happy to know you enjoyed your visit - please visit again soon!
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

In a town of mostly cheap/depressing motels, this is a very good choice! The rooms are spacious modern and nicely designed, the pool area is nice, and the food was very good in the restaurant. It's also well located and convenient to everything. On the less positive side, I wasn't crazy about the barn door to the bathroom with no lock, the staff did not seem super experienced or helpful and the lobby is a bit dark and somber for my taste. But again, overall it's a good place to stay, and we'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are so glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and glad that you found the hotel to be just a little different than other properties in our city - that is what we strive for! Your comments on how we can improve are taken to heart, and I greatly appreciate your feedback. I hope to welcome you back again soon!
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have to agree with the name as it is fitting. The staff was very pleasant. The pool area was nice and I heard they have a party on Sundays. Yes, this may be the nicest place in Santa Cruz, but walking in some of the neighborhood nearby was sketchy and I grew up on Detroit. Get past a couple of blocks and you have an incredible breakfast place, The Buttery. Or keep walking to the Boardwalk. That was great and only a short walk, 15-20 minutes. This makes the hotel and location worth it. Not sure I would pay $4 bills though. So I feel good we got a deal. The rooms are somewhat nice. I really like the tile in the bathroom. However, the painted plywood access panel in the closet allows your clothes to be snagged. So be careful. We were with a larger group and they did allow us to get a bit loud in the bar. The bartenders were great. I assume other guests would write that a large group was loud. LOL ..... Downside; 1. we could not open our window shades as the heavy set maintenance/cleaning guy would look directly into our room EVERY time he walked by and we were in room 235 right by the maintenance stairwell. CREEPY!!!! 2. I requested a razor on Friday 2 hours before we had to leave for an event. On Sunday during checkout I was still waiting. 3. We wanted room service while we got ready for our event on Saturday. However we had no menu. So we called and requested one. Over an hour went by (the campus is not that by), we called the room service ordered. The food came...and then the menu came. So remember this is NOT San Francisco. I was confused thinking we were closer to SF, so also remember you are not going to get taxis or Uber as easily or quickly. Be patient.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
I enjoyed reading your detailed review, thank you for providing such a candid report. Your observations provide us exactly the type of information we need to guide us toward our goal of total guest satisfaction. We will certainly work on our timeliness and delivery of service. Again, thank you for all your feedback, and please visit us again should your travels bring you our way.

Been to Hotel Paradox? Share your experiences!