“Very different” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   611 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, CA CA 95060   |
Ranked #7 of 52 hotels in Santa Cruz
“Very different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Greeted by Adrainne, she wasn't very welcoming, customer service skills need to be developed . But later on I met Nicole at the reception desk and she was awesome! Exuberant, vivacious and she just seemed to genuinely care!
Housekeeping personnel were equally attentive and provided requested items promptly! The room was nice and clean but I sure didn't like the view- county buildings parking lot !
I did have dinner on site, ordered the marinated skirt steak to be prepared " medium" it came practically raw yuck !
Didn't have an opportunity to inform server since I didn't see him again until towards the end, ate the French fries and broccoli , bread and butter wasn't served and I finally received a second cup of coffee as I paid the bill! I won't be eating there again ! But being on Ocean street allows you access to other restaurants within walking distance !
The pool and exercise areas were nice. Landscape was well kept, it's been re- opened 7 months now and the area is kept pretty clean! The price seemed high because the rooms are basic--log for table, old boards on wall...rather rustic for my taste!

• Stayed March 2013
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Chiva51,

Thank you so much for recently staying at the Hotel Paradox in Santa Cruz. We are glad to hear that you liked the service you received from Nicole at the desk, we will follow up with all staff to encourage that we want service to feel warm and welcoming from all team members. I am very sorry that the food and service in Solaire was not exactly how you expected to be. I will follow up with the team and make sure to share your experience and feedback to further improve our Hotel experience for all future guests. Glad you the Housekeeping service and noted that the rooms are very clean. We appreciate the comments and will reward the team for the things they did well for you. Please feel free to reach out, if you plan to return, I would be more than happy to ensure your complete satisfaction with the entire experience.

Thank you!
Andrea Murray, General Manager
831.600.4501

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Would definitely stay here again. About a 20 min walk to the boardwalk. No complaints. Just suggestions. We spent time at the hot tub. We inquired about towels and were told if we saw towels to take them. My suggestion would be to put the towels in a designated wicker basket or something. If I see a towel on a chair I think it's taken. I'm not comfortable taking towels from tree stumps etc. There should be a designated space. I'd hate to take somebody's towel. Also the bathroom situation at the pool and hot tub. You have to go past the restaurant and lobby. Embarrassing in a hotel bath robe. Otherwise, no complaints. Great hotel and would stay again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Staceywalk,

Thanks for staying with the Hotel Paradox, we are so happy to hear that you will be back again with us. We are so happy you like the pool area. We will take a look at how we offer pool towels and try and get something set up outdoors for this purpose. There is a bathroom adjacent to the bar area right by the Fitness Center so you can use the restroom there. However, there is a larger restroom in the Lobby area. Perhaps the one outside is not marked well enough. We will have a look to see if we can add another sign to draw greater attention to it for the future guests. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for a nice review.

Best,
Andrea Murray, General Manager
831.600.4501
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel has only been opened for 7 months. It was really nice. The pool and spa were great. A guy gladly came and moved some chairs for my husband and I so we could be in the sun. A waitress came by and asked if we wanted drinks or something to eat. It was really first class service. The pool has cabanas that can be rented too. At night the fire pit is blazing!

The only thing we were not happy with was the temperature in our room. It wouldn't get cool enough for us. They are an eco-friendly hotel and their system works differently. I mentioned this to the front desk and they said they are working on that problem.

The restaurant was great! The food was fresh and fantastic. We would definitely come back to this hotel. It was great to get out of the fog of San Francisco and enjoy the sunshine.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor. They have lounge chairs outside you can sit on. The other f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Modesto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Paradox for a couple nights in March '13. Wonderful staff, great decor, clean, great pool/hot tub/pool bar. Overall a really special place in Santa Cruz - must stay, we'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: A first or second floor room with pool views - great little patio in front of each room to sit outsi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location for walking to the downtown shopping area. Stylish and modern hotel with high standard of service. Comfortable, well appointed rooms are unique and spaceous. Bar/pool/hot tub area is great for hanging out day and night.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the pool to get the sun
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business just recently. I want to say this hotel is great. Excellent service! Amazing staff. Very clean, and modern. I really like the dining area, my business associates and I enjoyed the food, and drinks along with the atmosphere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Very clean and comfortable... Just love this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am a snob about hotels, having been brought up in the business world with a very generous expense account. Sadly, I am now an academic, with a very small budget for travel. So I have the taste for the finer things without the cash that usually it costs to attain the 5 star hotels I was weaned on.

Enter the Paradox - what a fitting name! Totally chic from the moment you step in with a stylish lobby, wonderful dining - ask for Alex, he is great!- fab staff- I am still raving about Esteffani and Cruz- and extremely comfy and luxurious rooms. I have been coming as a visitor for work to Santa Cruz for over 20 years, and have often bemoaned the fact that there were not any nice, conveniently located hotels. The Paradox is what I have been waiting for. I will return again, and am already counting down until my next trip.

Room Tip: Very reasonable upgrade costs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Paradox? Share your experiences!