“Surprisingly modern” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Fairfield, CA
“Surprisingly modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Paradox Santa Cruz a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is clean and very modern. The pool side is warm and inviting and the restaurant is quite lovely. The food was delicious. Our room was a small regular queen room. It was very comfortable, however, the bath room was very small, with room for just one person. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
San Francisco Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The place has been completely updated and nicely done. However, all the elevators were out of order. The could have warned us as they had given us a fifth floor room. The room A/C just could not cool down the room and there were no opening windows to allow fresh air in to the room. I complained to the front desk and they said we were stuck with it as they had "gone green". I don't think so! Guest comfort should come first.

We can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat there.

The room we had was in motel style building so you had to keep the drapes closed for privacy what with everybody walking by. At $225 a night, I think we should be able to do better. Next time we are in Santa Cruz, we will try another place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, your observations will only help us become a better hotel. Please accept my apologies for the elevators being out of order and the AC that would not cool down your room properly. we are diligently working on immediate repair and a solution for the problem. I will work closely with the staff regarding customer interaction and appropriate responses.
You can contact me directly for further feedback and I would be delighted to offer you VIP services upon your next trip to Santa Cruz.
Warm regards,
Tony
Malibu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We are staying here this weekend for a tennis tournament that my daughter is playing in and this hotel is a really wonderful surprise! Located in a long line of Motel 8's and Holiday Inn's, this hotel is surprisingly modern, new and clean. The interiors are forest themed in a very hip, modern way! The rooms are great. The shower is large with a pebble floor. The beds are very comfortable. The only downsides were that the elevators are not working, but we need the exercise and the restaurant did not open until 9 on Saturday. The fitness center has new treadmills, ellipticals and bikes, but no free weights. There is room for them, so I expect they are on order. This hotel has only been open for about 3 months. It is a fantastic value and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs, ask for a first floor room.
Folsom, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Very nice place. Elevators were down and we got upgraded to fifth floor but nothing wrong with a little exercise! Would definitely stay here again. Really nice bar/restaurant/pool area. Employees friendly and very helpful. Room did not have iron/board but they brought one up right away. Bed was very comfortable!!

• Stayed November 2011
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for two nights with my sons so we could visit my daughter at UCSC. The service - in all areas of the hotel - was superb! The beds were extremely comfortable with quality linens. The bath towels are also of great quality and the robes in the rooms are divine.

Heated pool, jacuzzi, fire pit, covered cabanas with sofa seating, and poolside bar service added to the quality of our stay. The restaurant serves local and seasonal dishes - very very good food!

Have already booked a room for my next stay.

Room Tip: While the rooms are not tiny, the floor space is a bit limited which worked fine for myself and my t...
Campbell, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Paradox hotel in Santa Cruz has only been open a few months, so I thought I should write a review after staying there this last weekend. This property was previously called the UCSD Hotel. I never stayed there, so can’t compare. But I think a huge amount of changes have been put in place. I was really stunned, since most if not all of the hotels in Santa Cruz tend to be dated and a bit moldy around the edges.

On the plus side, the lobby, restaurant, bar, and pool area are great. The pool is especially wonderful – cabanas, fire pits, a large spa, large pool, an outdoor bar, and snack/beverage service at the pool and spa! You had me right there, when I get someone to bring me munchies and wine while I loll in the hot tub.

The rooms are spotless, modern, with a large shower (I liked the pebbly shower floor, my sister didn’t), guest fridge, etc. The beds were comfortable. The rooms, though standard size, were fine for 2-4 people, I thought. There is free wi-fi. Parking isn’t free, but is only $5.

Overall, I loved having such a modern, attractive hotel to plan to visit for future overnights in Santa Cruz, esp. when the weather allows lounging by the pool.

But, a few downsides. The location isn’t great, meaning mainly you won't be walking to the beach. On the other side of the river from the Pacific Garden Mall (downtown Santa Cruz), it’s next to government buildings, which is fine, though there’s a tattoo/piercing parlor across the street. (But this IS Santa Cruz.) It's a short drive to the beach and boardwalk (but then you have to deal with parking). You'll probably also drive to downtown, though that’s more walkable.

One big problem for my sister and me was the hot tub full of little kids. At one point I think there were just my sister and me, and 9 kids unrelated to us, playing Marco Polo, tossing a beach ball, and splashing chlorinated spa water into my glass of wine. There were fully clothed adults letting their three-year-old go into the spa! It was a noisy and inappropriate setting. Other parents may have been at the bar, I don’t know. The kids needed to be in the pool, not the spa, and the parents of small children need to be in with them or at least in bathing suits. I didn’t see any spa rules posted. The hotel staff saw all this because they were around serving drinks. I’ve taken a child into a spa but I always insist on “spa behavior.”

The layout of the hotel is a little odd. After you check in, you exit the lobby/restaurant building and then the rooms are in the building next door. If you have a room overlooking the pool, nice. The other side overlooks the parking lot and government building. The first floor porches are nice on the pool side, but pretty pointless on the parking lot side (see photo).

The front desk is presumably inexperienced because they didn’t seem to know how to print a receipt for our expenses while there, showing the $20 Groupon meal credit. They just provided individual receipts for meals, drinks, etc. But that might be just the one person who checked us out. And they were all very pleasant.

We ate dinner at the onsite restaurant, right next to (in the same building as) the lobby. It was very attractive, had a fireplace, and open cooking area. But the menu was fairly limited, and seemed pretty pretentious. LOTS of words that we had no clue about, and we eat out quite a bit, both in this country and internationally. The risotto I had wasn’t particularly memorable. But again, they are very new and no doubt things will improve. And the atmosphere was nice.

All that said (quibble quibble) I definitely plan to return. The outdoor/pool area alone (esp. with the food and drink service) would be enough to bring me back, and the hotel’s attractive décor, new rooms, and overall luxuriousness compared to most other Santa Cruz hotels (along with a reasonable room rate) makes it a standout, in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you want an outside sitting area, ask for first floor poolside, though you may get some foot traf...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

No luxury hotel, but then again, it's not trying to be. And frankly, I don't think such thing exists in this town. Staff was clearly trying very hard to be helpful & friendly (and succeeded). The restaurant has a small menu, but food was good, fresh, and reasonably priced. Pool & bar area were great! Would be a cool place for out of town wedding guest to gather & visit.

Convenient, location to downtown. Easily walkable. Just be aware that you are walking through a local park and its homeless residents. They didn't seem to bother anyone, as it seems the homeless are unavoidable in Santa Cruz.

My only real complaint was that we could never get the AC to cool the room down enough. I suspect it may have had something to do with being a "green" hotel. May be more energy efficient than powerful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Paradox? Share your experiences!