“Had no issues. Rate was the best value I found too.” 4 of 5 stars

Continental Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   414 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #28 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
La Jolla, California
“Had no issues. Rate was the best value I found too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had a conference to attend and all the other places I checked were much more expensive than this one. The Inn isn't is as trendy of a place, but is still only a few miles from the coast. I didn't have any of the issues with my room that others wrote about. The jacuzzi is out back in the corner of a small lot, but I didn't use it. If there was a 'musty' smell, I didn't notice it as I like the windows open. I stay in hotels 3-4 nights a week for work, and although not a pricey brand, was fine for an 'inexpensive' nights stay. (I have seen a lot dirtier and in need to repair at the big name hotels.) The price I got out the door for a night was $75.20 and most other places I tried wanted over $100 for a room that night. Not in the budget for a 12 hour stay, so I picked the Continental and it was a pleasant stay.
I found the bathroom just fine and room itself was clean too. Laminate flooring replaced the dirty dark colored carpets you find at most chain hotels. There was a fridge & a microwave which was nice as I had leftovers with me. Included are some pix I took of my room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Saco, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is disgusting. The pictures they showed us is completely different from the actual hotel room. We showed up at 3 p.m( check in time), our room wasn't ready until 5. The room smelled of musty air. The bed had a blood stain. It reminded me of a run down Motel 6. My child slept on a towel because she was afraid of getting dirty. The area is gross. We got cornered and chased by a hobo. The hot tub is in the middle of the parking lot.It's dirty too. The pool is across the street with the rest of the hotel. They also have a lot of cats running around. Lastly, we asked for our money back. The owner gave us half of our money back after crying. The owner literly cried giving us back half the money. I would stay away. I would recammend staying down the road at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Go to a differnt hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
meath
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

changed hotels last minute due to terrible reviews of another hotel so we were expecting this one to be much better, how wrong we were. The hotel is extremely noisy with loud banging stomping around over head, next door shower is like a drill through the wall and the neighbourhood is really rough.
Room is fair but small and view was of a wall. If you can avoid this place do so as we made the mistake of booking this place for 2 nights. Santa Cruz is very different from Monterey and other nice towns along the coast so it will come as quite a shock to the system the location, noise and crowd in this area

Room Tip: book anywhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

I'm sitting in my motel room writing this as I felt I had to do this rite away. We r travelling from San Francisco to LA and had no idea where to stay but from the road we thought it looked really nice. Very pleasant man on the desk who was very helpful. We have an upstairs room with queen bed and lovely well equipped room including a fridge and microwave. There is free wifi and breakfast included in the rate. The breakfast was lovely there was cereal porridge toast waffles eggs yoghurt fruit and coffee tea and hit cocoa. Thus was good value all for $58. I'm not sure what the other people r talking about but I would differently stay again. If I had to b picky about anything there is a little bit of road noise in the morning if u have a unit close to the road

• Stayed May 2012
Macae, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed for a month. Good breakfast, clean rooms, and the Internet was ok. Staff guys were very kind anytime. It's worthy. Special weekly price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
stockton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Well...from an avid Santa Cruz visitor, I do believe that this review is honest, and fair...truthful and sad all at the same time.

We stayed here about 15 years ago, and remember a quaint, cute place that was clean and convenient.

We checked into the Continental Inn, because of the weekend being the clam chowder fesitval, and my new found days off...we were able to head up to one of our favorite destinations...all of our favorite hotels were booked.

The check in:
The lady at the desk was nice...we checked the kids in on the side where you first pull in...the room was big, hard wood floors, and mildly clean (GROSS bathroom door, please repaint/touchup the disgusting bathroom doors in this hotel...you will see and read more about this later....)

As well...the nasty person to person bedspreads should be outlawed, I always take them off when they are on hotel beds.

We went to check into our room, on the other side of the same building, by the side fence...walked past MJ smokers and dealers (no joke in room 122)...into our "KING boutique room"....wow....um NO! Its smelled of cigarettes, and old painted furniture...we left and went right to the front desk.

We were moved to a room on the top floor, same side, and when we walked in...we found towels all over the floor and coming out of the refrigerator, so we called downstairs and was apologized to and told that the refrig. was being defrosted.

They came and removed towels.

The bathroom door in this room was also so disgusting, I do not know the substances on the door, however as a nurse, even this disgusted me to imagine what it could be...UH SICKENING!

The room decor, had potential I am sure at one time...the popcorn ceilings, the horrible texture of the walls, and the smell in the room was just wierd and gross...the hardwood floors and the pseudo granite was just ok in the bathroom.

In the morning, I go to get out of bed and step in water, there was water all over the floor...from where else, the refrigerator...that was supposedly just "defrosting".

All night, we heard every single person's voice who was walking along the street, and the showers in the morning sounded like they were IN our room..the walls were as thin as the toilet paper they gave you to well...you know.....

What a gross place...seriously I am so tired of being ripped off, by dirty sub par rooms in Santa Cruz....there is so much potential to just make people feel welcomed and at home away from home....I just do not get it....

Hard earned money spent to worry about filthy bathrooms and shady drug dealers... I mean seriously.

Here are some pics from the room and needless to say, we will never return again, not recommend and for sure share with you all the information so you can make informed choices when you chose to stay somewhere.

Santa Cruz is one of those places that just make your heart happy to be there, I am just sad that most of our trip was tainted by the in-consideration of a disgusting place offering nice pictures on the web that are just plain lies.

Room Tip: Just do not come here at all....until they paint and clean up this place. If you want value and do...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Emsworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We picked the hotel based on a recommendation in The Rough Guide. It was good value for money. The room, although small and dated, was very clean, included a fridge and microwave as well as coffee making facilities. Free parking and breakfast included. A bit of a walk from the town but not a bad location. Staff very friendly. Would recommend for a short stay...although Santa Cruz did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Continental Inn? Share your experiences!