“Horrible stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Limited Santa Cruz

You added Ramada Limited Santa Cruz to your Saves list
Ramada Limited Santa Cruz
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   516 Water Street, Ocean Street and Water Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #41 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
notonetocomplainebut
“Horrible stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We arrived at the Ramada Limited at 516 Water Street in Santa Cruz, California with high expectations and were left feeling as if we stayed in a third world country. Our room was supposed to have 2 beds, non-smoking--instead we were given 1 king bed and told that if we wanted 2 beds, it would be a $25 per night upgrade! When we said that this was what we ordered, they wouldn't budge. Finally they said we could have a king bed with a queen pull out bed in a non smoking room.

As we went into the room, we noticed a couple of things—inadequate amount of towels, a wet dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door and hair and dirt on the bathroom floor. A large patch of drywall was missing above the shower and in its place was mildewed wood—very unappealing indeed.

We went to the main desk to complain and all they did was to take the dirty towel and have us follow the manager to a laundry room to get more towels.

After coming back from a long day at the boardwalk, we opened up the pull out bed to be greeted with a blast of stale cigarette smoke (again, this was to be a non smoking room) and no bedding on the bed. I called the desk but there was no answer so I walked to the office again and told them about the bed. I was told I had to make up the bed myself because there wasn’t anyone to ‘do those things’ So, I again went to the laundry room to get sheets, blankets, pillows and made the bed myself.

Later, my husband went to the pool to swim and when he came back out of the gate, he cut his hand on the sign that was wired to the gate. (the wires were sticking straight out) After we complained, there was not even an apology. My husband is on blood thinners and got blood on the sheets and pillow case. The next day, the sheets were changed, but the pillow case was not. The bathroom floor was still dirty.

We used the coffeemaker in the morning, but it was never emptied or cleaned the next day. A new pack of coffee was simply thrown on top of the coffeemaker.

We also tried their continental breakfast and saw only apples for fruit, watered down orange juice, coffee that looked like tea, and had the worst waffles in the world. everything tasted terrible!

Next to the refrigerator, microwave, nightstand was a bundle of cords linking the appliances, clock and lamp together. It was right in front of the nightstand—both a tripping and fire hazard as these were very light extension cords that were attached. I do have a photo of this.

By the way, my husband, my daughter and I all developed athlete’s foot from the bathroom floor or shower—this is also extremely unpleasant.

This was by far the worst experience of a hotel stay that we ever had. I can’t even begin to tell you how difficult it was to sleep in knowing how dirty the place was, how it reeked of smoke and how non-caring the manager was. It was so bad that I complained to the Ramada headquarters while we were there, but as of yet nothing has been done. I feel that we should be reimbursed the entire stay for what we were put through on this ‘vacation’ --so far there has been no response to my complaints.

I don’t think I can feel comfortable staying at another Ramada again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the filth and uncaring attitude
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

We stayed at the Ramada Inn the two last days of our three weeks visit to California. For all other hotels I checked with the tripadvisor before booking the hotel and were never dissappointed. But unfortunately I did not check this hotel.
The hotel looked nice at the web. We paid almost 140 dollars for the room for two adults and two children which I found too expensive given the standard of the facilities. The room was not clean, especially the chairs which looked extremely dirty. The bathroom was not clean. When we came to the breakfast table they were out of almost everythingl. I asked for some orange juice but they said the machine would be refilled the day after.
So I would not recommend this hotel at least not if you can not get a better price for the room.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sandwich, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I travel quite a bit and am not fussy and I very rarely write a review but this is the worst experience I've ever had. Let me start by saying that I don't trust the owners, even though my room was prepaid, and I was only staying one night they REQUIRE you to fill out a form with all your personel information, name & address ok but they also COPY your LICENSE # and DATE OF BIRTH. Maybe I'm paranoid but in todays world for an $80 room this seems a bit much. This place is a dump!!! I really can't believe that Hotwire does business with them.

All I require for a nice stay is a clean room, comfortable bed, good water pressure, and safe enviroment. We got none of these! This hotel is below a one star, go anywhere else.

We had a couple YELLING all night below us, a couple of doors down people were pounding on the door going in & out and running away, . The smell inside the room was so horrible we woke up with headaches, that was with the windows open. The quality of the sheets and towels was horrible. The bathroom was so small you had to just about stand in the tub lean across the toilet to close the door. If it hadn't been late at night we were exhausted we would have just taken the loss and left. I felt very unsafe , I am used to traveling alone , working and traveling in cities but I actually barricaded the door.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — 1.Check in requirements, too much personal information , a credit card & verified identity should be enough 2. very unsafe enviroment
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Fresno, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

We made our reservations online and the picture that was posted was very misleading. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and it looked ike a duck had made the pool it's home. It even relieved itself poolside, which can't be very sanitary. The motel is either an older motel or a newer one that's rundown. It would be difficult to recommend staying at this motel for the price we paid.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PNW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

I was quite disappointed in the "extensive Continental breakfast" advertised on their web-site. It claimed to have fresh fruit, waffles, etc. In reality the selection was poor - cold cereal, white bread only, watered down orange juice, a few apples, quartered muffins - that's right, not even whole muffins - prepackaged vending machine-type danishes, NO waffles, etc. I walked over to a diner for breakfast. The rooms were comfortable enough, although they were not very clean - table had glass/cup ring from previous guest, dusty, tub not clean (hair, bathtub ring - yuck). The new owners were pleasant enough but they have much work to do. I would not stay in this motel again.

Stayed February 2007
Vacaville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

I made reservations for two hotel rooms on Friday, July 14th by calling the 800# for Ramada Limited Reservations. Shortly after I made the reservations, I realized that I had made reservations for the wrong night, so I called the 800# back to cancel. I was told that it was too late to cancel as you can only cancel for refund if you do so within 4 business days. I was then advised to call the hotel directly as they may be able to cancel for me instead.

So I called the hotel directly and requested cancellation for refund. After being put on hold (long distance) for at least five minutes (while listening to a customer in the lobby complaining about the fact that she was given a room with only 1 bed when she had requested one with 2 and being told by the staff that her daughter could either sleep in the bed with her or that she would have to pay $25 for a rollaway bed), I finally spoke with an employee who identified himself as Robert. He informed me that he would be able to help me. When I gave him my name and reservation confirmation #, he informed me that my reservation had not yet come through to the hotel computer system from the 800# Ramada Reservation Center system. He stated that it usually takes at least 20 minutes. He then went on to say that he would take down my name, reservation #, and phone # and as soon as the reservation popped up on their computer system he would cancel the reservation. He promised to call me back if there were any problems in cancelling. As I did not hear back from him, I assumed that my cancellation was taken care of.

When I received my credit card bill for July, I realized that the cancellation was never processed. I called the hotel back on August 4th to dispute the charges. I spoke first with a woman named Yana and then with a man, Suresh Pattel, whom I assumed to be the hotel manager. I was informed that Robert no longer worked there and that since I did not have a cancellation #, the hotel would not reverse the charges. There was no apology offered me for being given false information from their hotel staff. There was no effort at all to try and make things right for me; only a pathetic, uncaring "too bad, you're out of luck" attitude. It was truly upsetting and very unsettling to be exposed to such poor business practices.

I realize now that it was naive of me to simply take someone's word instead of following up to ensure cancellation and receive a cancellation number, however, I would view the error Robert made to be the hotel's problem (employee training) and not mine and truly believe that I am entitled to receive a full refund. I am now working with my credit card company to follow up with Ramada Limited for reimbursement. Needless to say, it's been quite a nightmare dealing with this hotel!

Concord,Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

I usually don’t complain about bad hotel experiences, but what happened when we arrived to check-in for a 3-day confirmed stay at the Ramada Limited 516 Water St. in Santa Cruz, Ca was so unbelievable I felt the need to communicate it so all families will not be subject to the ridicules policies of this hotel. I researched hotels on Trip Advisor as always and booked our 3-day stay online but not before calling the hotel and asking about another review on Trip Advisor in which I had concerns. In that review they turned away another family of five. I informed them that my wife and I were traveling with my three children, my two sons one 12 years old, one 8 years old and our baby daughter who is 20 months. On the phone call the girl talked with the female owner, I know because I could hear her in the background she said this will not be a problem since I was booking a room with two queen size beds she said the other bad review booked double beds. I received the confirmed booking for our family of five 16 days before our arrival date but I did include my cell phone number in the notes area of the booking just incase there was some problem and I needed to be contacted. I checked my credit card and they had pre-authorized the amount for our stay so and I had a reservation confirmation for our family of five which I printed out so I believed our stay was booked and solid and then started to research attractions to visit during our vacation stay.

When we arrived and I presented the hotel clerk with the printed reservation confirmation they said because of my two boys my wife and our baby girl we were 5 people and they would not honor our reservation confirmation even though the reservation confirmation was for five people. He had said this hotels policy is not to let a family of five occupy a room even if one is a baby and we could not stay here, he said that he had called but that was not the truth. This was unbelievable since I called and it had all been ok’d over the phone. In reflection, I believe this was a ruthless and ridicules attempt to try and up sell a family from one room to two rooms knowing we are in a strange city with nowhere else to stay believing we had no choice but to pay it.
I called Ramada customer service and told them of the experience I was having while I was still at the location and I was told that each hotel is individually owned and operated and they could not and would not do anything. The Ramada name does not represent any kind of quality or polices that you can rely on, you could get a good hotel or a bad one, but this Ramada hotel left a family of five driving around in a strange town for 3 hours searching for somewhere to stay. We did find other accommodations thanks to a recommendation by asking a Santa Cruz Police officer. However, We did lose a day on the beach in the process and almost turned around and drove home in disgust.

We have stayed at Ramada Inn’s during a previous vacation to Disneyland and were very satisfied with the accommodations and service and never had a problem booking our family to one room at any hotel. If you have a family or not a reservation confirmation from this Ramada Hotel isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, do yourself a favor and book elsewhere. Book with a hotel line that stands behind its reservations so you don’t get left in a strange city without somewhere to stay with nothing but a worthless a reservation confirmation print out from Ramada hotels. One thing is for sure this family will never take the chance that this will happen again and will never book a stay with the Ramada hotel line again and we will pass along our recommendation to all to book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ramada Limited Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!