“Terrific well priced hotel with great staff - lots of personal attn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Santa Cruz

Special Offer
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Hawaii
“Terrific well priced hotel with great staff - lots of personal attn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Sue & Jonathan were so helpful & kind. Complimentary Breakfast was excellent. Beds comfy, large screen TV, fridge in room, great housekeeping staff. Excellent price - great value. I'll be back as my niece attends UC Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Great family atmosphere- not pretentious
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you thank you! What a nice compliment to our staff, on behalf of Sue and Jonathan thank you so much for your kind words. We're very glad that you enjoyed the hotel and really look forward to seeing you again next time you're in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
elk grove, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

After comparing dozens of reviews and prices of hotels in Santa Cruz, this hotel looked like it was our best bet. And it definitely was! The room/bedding/bathroom was all very clean and fresh. The staff were all very nice and helpful, and the complimentary breakfast is fabulous! The only drawback for me were the questionable people outside the hotel. I felt safe inside the hotel, but felt a bit uncomfortable going to my car. Although, this is Santa Cruz....it's kind of expected. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Wow, it is so great to hear this. Thank you so much for letting us know how well you liked the hotel, we really appreciate it! So glad to hear that everything went well with your stay... and we are really working on the 'outside' experience, as well.

Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon!
alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay at Hampton Inns all the time, they're consistently comfortable. The room was fine, and the staff was friendly, although as another reviewer remarked, the water smelled bad. I had a relatively quiet location in the hotel but the traffic noise was unbelievable, had to sleep with earplugs and pillows over my ears, and still noisy. This hotel was built without proper soundproofing. If noise is a problem for you, I wouldn't stay here. When I remarked upon check-in about the homeless population in the area and asked if my car would be safe, I was told that unfortunately the security camera in the parking lot had been inoperational for over a year but that the hotel regularly called the police for security issues. I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the quiet side and then check it out before moving in.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel! Please accept our apologies. The City of Santa Cruz was performing extensive road work all along Ocean Street in March, and for a few days the road noise was exceptionally disruptive. Although the work has been concluded for about a month now, unfortunately there was nothing that we could do to control this at the time. We really do apologize for the disturbance.

Regarding the back parking area, we are currently installing new security cameras and working with the Denny's next door to try to mitigate the problem. Again, we really apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have made good progress toward resolving this issue soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

As soon as we arrived I was a little surprised by the location, right by the highway, with lots of homeless looking people wandering around. The desk guy the night we arrived was super nice and friendly. When we got to the rooms I was pretty unimpressed, just average but it didn't seem dirty or anything, just nothing special. Then I took a shower in what may or may not have been sewer water...it smelled terrible. The next day, lots of harassment by crazies on the 5 second walk to Denny's. Also, the day front desk guy, Johnathon, has taken the prize for rudest person I've met in California. Very argumentative, gives you a very welcoming smirk and glare as you walk in. He argued with my husband over a late check out, we are Diamond Members but he treated us like we were the homeless people outside. When I went to the desk to complain about him, I was helped by the head of housekeeping, Sue, who was a lovely woman who actually understands customer service. We will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I couldn't believe we were treated like dirt by this jerk. I know we aren't the only guests that had a run in with him, I spoke with a very sweet elderly woman in the elevator who said Johnathon was glaring at her the entire time she ate breakfast and that he was very rude. So if you like being treated like an inconvenience, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2013
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow, I am SO very sorry to read this - but we appreciate your letting us know what happened. It is certainly unacceptable to us that anyone at our hotel would feel unwelcome or unvalued, Diamond guest or otherwise, and please know that we take your feedback very seriously. We have addressed this matter amongst our staff, and I would like to let you know that Jonathan is a valued member of our team and I feel that this may have been a misunderstanding. In any case, please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointing experience.

We're sorry that we were unable to accommodate the late checkout that you requested, but as our housekeeping staff leaves the hotel at 3pm and we were expecting another Diamond guest (assigned to your room) to arrive a little early, we did need to have the time to clean your room. I hope that Sue was able to explain this to you while you were here, because we want you to know that we value your patronage and would do whatever we could to help you out.

While we're really sorry to hear that your stay with us was so disappointing, we do appreciate your comments and thank you for writing in.
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was traveling on business and realized wireless wasn't fast enough for the files I needed to upload. They came to the rescue with some cables, sparing me a trip to Staples. Pool was small, but clean, heated and well-maintained. I absolutely intend to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for letting us know that your stay went so well! We are so glad to hear that, and glad that we were able to help out with your internet situation. Please come and stay with us again, we look forward to seeing you!
Rancho Cucmonga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Overall, a nice hotel. The rooms are typical Hampton Inn quality- clean and very spacious. Staff is great! Avoid teh bottom floor. The window faces the street and I had people "hangin out" on the side walk a few feet away until alomost midnight! I finally opened the window and asked them to move the party elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate your positive feedback, it means a lot to us to know that our guests enjoy the hotel.

Our apologies for the situation outside your window... I know that must have been frustrating and really appreciate your graciousness in dealing with that! We are working to bring about a solution to this, again thank you for your patience and for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Santa Cruz!
Albany, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A very clean and well-maintained hotel. It is close to the freeway, but not close to the Boardwalk. Very nice, small indoor that was kept a bit too warm for our taste. Fairly typical complimentary breakfast with some extra features like eggs, sausage and build-your-own waffles.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms and free breakfast. We hope that you will be back to stay with us again next time you're in Santa Cruz!

Been to Hampton Inn Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!