“Overall Great! Avoid bottom floor rooms...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #13 of 51 hotels in Santa Cruz
Rancho Cucmonga
“Overall Great! Avoid bottom floor rooms...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Overall, a nice hotel. The rooms are typical Hampton Inn quality- clean and very spacious. Staff is great! Avoid teh bottom floor. The window faces the street and I had people "hangin out" on the side walk a few feet away until alomost midnight! I finally opened the window and asked them to move the party elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate your positive feedback, it means a lot to us to know that our guests enjoy the hotel.

Our apologies for the situation outside your window... I know that must have been frustrating and really appreciate your graciousness in dealing with that! We are working to bring about a solution to this, again thank you for your patience and for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Santa Cruz!

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Albany, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A very clean and well-maintained hotel. It is close to the freeway, but not close to the Boardwalk. Very nice, small indoor that was kept a bit too warm for our taste. Fairly typical complimentary breakfast with some extra features like eggs, sausage and build-your-own waffles.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms and free breakfast. We hope that you will be back to stay with us again next time you're in Santa Cruz!
Fernley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for three days during spring break. The hotel service was excellent. The hotel was extremely clean and quiet. The rooms that were well maintained. The only non-positive experience we had concerned seating in the morning food service area. It appears to be designed around servicing single and two party guests vice families with three or more people. Thus, breakfast becomes an extremely tight and very closely shared experience with other hotel guests. Ray and Sue are outstanding managers that have developed a customer oriented staff that is always very accommodating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us, and thank you for your compliments to our staff! Ray and Sue do work tirelessly, thank you for mentioning that. It's so great to hear that their efforts are appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt a bit crowded during breakfast, it had been our intention with our new lobby remodel to create many different seating areas to accommodate all sizes of groups. We hope that when you come stay with us again this won't be an issue.

Thanks again for your wonderful review - we look forward to seeing you again soon.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This Hampton Inn is in a very good location for enjoying downtown Santa Cruz, the Cliff Drive, the Redwoods (Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park), or the university. The beds were comfortable; the room was clean and comfortable; the staff friendly; and the rates were good. However there were several items that combined to make this stay less pleasant than most of Hampton Inns' properties. The Internet was so slow so as to be unusable. The breakfast was not up to Hampton's usual quality. The cheese omelets featured unmelted slices of Velvetta-type cheese. There were no Danish. The bacon taste was unusual. There was deferred maintenance in our room: a creaking bathroom door was very annoying. The last thing was not the hotel's fault: someone hit our car in the parking lot. They did not leave a note and the hotel does not have security cameras in the parking lot.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review - we're glad to hear that the hotel was convenient to all of the places you wanted to visit while you were here and that the hotel met your needs in other respects, as well. At the same time I'm very sorry that there were a few isues with your stay. I will definitely bring these to the attention of our staff and apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced while you were here. Thanks again for your feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I travel for a living, and have stayed all over the US. I have had bullets shot through my car overnight, and this is still my worst experience yet. Stayed here twice, and finally wised up this time. The parking lot is maybe 25 cars for 50 rooms, and 15 of them are compact cars in Hippie-Central Cali. Oh, and 1 handicap spot. The signs everywhere say lock your car, not responsible for damage / theft. A cop out, as last time I stayed here, the truck next to me was stolen. This time, I was the victim. Some dirty bum used a stick to break into my rental car through a barely cracked window, and stole tools and electronics, and just trashed my car. I called the police, they never showed, said no officer was in the area to respond. Had to do the report online.

One of the major problems is that the property has big trees in the center of the back lot, so the whole back lot is covered by trees and not one camera is installed anywhere. Atleast there is one light, so they can see what they are stealing. The only camera back there covers the building entrance. Shows where Hilton's priority is.

The last time I was here, the gas station next door got robbed. Cars parked on the side street are sketchy, tarp covered with 20s sticking out. The hotel is next to a Dennys, and people park anywhere, including the middle of the road. The hotel is close to CA1, so transients love the area. A lot of sketchy, crazy, yell at you bums demanding money and speaking crazy. I am a guy, and I felt like I needed a gun to protect myself. Almost as bad as downtown Detroit. Locals don't even go that way unless leaving town or needing a 'fix'.

The hotel itself is ok, kinda small. The pool is a small indoor kiddie pool tucked away in the back, no jacuzzi. No fitness room. The rooms are ok for a Hampton Inn, somewhat modern. The carpets are filthy and sticky. The breakfast is your typical reheated egg and meat substitute and cereal / granola/ coffee. The server did a decent job keeping up.

I am a Hilton Diamond member, and work for a different type of hospitality market. This is the first time I have ever walked away from a hotel and demanded my money back. I would never treat a customer this way. The Front Desk lady was nice, but would not give me any Manager's numbers to call. She acted like this was just another complaint, like this is routine.

Room Tip: The two suites are not worth the upgrade price.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I am so very sorry to read this, and so sorry that you had this experience while you were staying with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for all of your trouble.

Clearly it was an awful thing to have had your car broken into, and to then not receive a prompt response from the police. I cannot answer as to why that was the case, but certainly regret it. This was by no means a trivial or commonplace occurrence, and I am very sorry if you felt that the situation was not responded to properly or if our front desk staff treated it lightly.

The parking signs in the lot are required by our franchisor, and I believe that you would find similar signs at other Hampton Inns across the country. Yes, our property is small and we also contend with crowded downtown space restrictions, making it necessary to share parking with the Denny's next door. While it may seem as though we did not have enough parking for all of the guests at the hotel, we actually do (and the City would not allow us to operate if we did not). Depending on the night in question and holiday schedule (ie, spring break or summer holidays) the parking situation may be more crowded than at other times. I do apologize that this was a problem while you were with us.

While the City does require certain landscaping standards in the back parking area, perhaps there is something that we could do trim the trees and therefore improve visibility. We will take this into consideration, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

While the issues that you mention seem to be concentrated on the exterior of the property, I am concerned with your statement that 'you would never treat a guest this way.' I'm not sure what you are referring to, as I've checked with staff members who felt that they were as responsive to the situation as they could be. I will review this at an upcoming staff meeting with the goal of keeping any future guests from having this same experience.

Again, our sincere apologies.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just got back from Santa Cruz having visited family as usual and have now can say we have stayed at the Santa Cruz Hampton three times. We have used points from members club as well as cash to stay. Here is what you get...location is extremely easy to get to right off of hwy1 and 17. Easy in and out. 8-10 minutes to any Santa Cruz location. Hotel is smaller with parking in back and some in front. Design is modern styling around central atrium. Rooms are huge and plush. Staff, while smaller than other chains, extremely professional and personable (..they are extremely helpful with any questions...) so make sure you ask! Pool (very large hot tub!?!?!?) is awesome during winter stays but stuffy at times during summer...Extremely quiet interior! Outside very noisy and view is not there....Overall, staff is on par with any hotel you will find at much more expensive setting, interior very clean, modern design, quiet while being smaller....breakfast area very small yet well stocked and kept clean....kinda cold setting though.......food was good and perfect for work/traveling types.........outside parking better than most other SC places , really easy driving access to main arteries but loud setting, wandering locals may make you ponder........My family and I love this place and have never had issues with wanders, never, and we stay here for the staff, rooms and indoor pool................I would give it a 5 yet not for setting..........

Room Tip: All rooms fantastic, very plush, ..if noise problem ask for those on sides facing north or west.....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Oh, I love that you love our pool!! Thank you for telling us that! :)

Yes, the pool is quite small, we wish that was not the case but we've made the best of the space that we had available. And for many people it's just perfect, so thanks again for mentioning this!

Thanks as well for the compliments to our rooms, our Executive Housekeeper and staff work so hard to keep things clean and updated, it is really wonderful to hear that these efforts are noticed.

And finally, THANK YOU! for your kind words regarding our staff, truly our greatest asset at this hotel. It means so much to know that they are appreciated, and on behalf of everyone here thanks so much for taking the time to acknowledge this. We can't wait for your fourth and fifth visits (and even more after that!)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

"Standard" Hampton Inn. Staff was very friendly, especially the front desk person who checked us in on Wed 3/27. Breakfast was as expected and server did a good job of keeping food items stocked and tables clean.
Only issue I had was lack of parking spaces (parked on a side street as all spots behind hotel were taken).
Room was clean.
FWIW, I am a Hilton Diamond member.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the corners of the building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We're very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel met your needs. I'm sorry about the parking situation - being downtown, we unfortunately are limited in space and some nights do get crowded, although I'm surprised to hear that this was a problem mid-week. Thank you for your patience with the situation. We hope that you will come and stay with us again soon!

Been to Hampton Inn Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!