“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Costa Mesa, California, United States
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Hampton Inn Santa Cruz is the first establishment at the end the Hwy 17 and off the SR 1 on Ocean as you enter the heart of Santa Cruz. This is not a great part of town. But for me it was well located since I needed to be near the Carbonera area. But it was not really near the Natural Bridges State Park as it is advertised. The room is comfortable and well-appointed for my needs. The breakfast was always fresh and varied, and quickly refilled as the guests consumed it. As with most of the Hampton Inns, the facility is relatively new and clean.

Room Tip: south west corner will get you away from the highway and street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thanks very much for writing in and letting us know that the hotel met your needs as far as location and cleanliness.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you had expected the hotel to be closer to Natural Bridges State Park, as we do not make a point of advertising close proximity to that beach (it's about 3 miles away). As you noted, we are very close to the Carbonera area, so hopefully that did work out well for you.

We hope to see you again next time you're in Santa Cruz, please come again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was here for an entire week on a business trip, and the Hampton turned out to be a great choice. It's right off the highway, which makes getting around the Santa Cruz area a snap. The hotel has all of the usual Hampton amenities, including free breakfast in the morning (with quite a few choices) and complimentary internet, which worked nicely. The room was comfortable and clean, but what really sets this hotel apart was the staff. First, the housekeepers were incredibly honest. Somehow I must have knocked a $10 bill on the floor, and when I got back, there it was on the night stand. It would have been very easy to pocket it, and I wouldn't have known the difference. On top of that, they were very prompt about cleaning the room--as soon as my do not disturb sign came off, they were ready. Also, the folks at the front desk--one young man in particular (Jason?)--were very helpful in aiding me in choosing restaurants in the area. Only minor drawbacks: they could use a few more parking spaces, as a couple of times I got the very last spot, and the air freshener the maids use in the rooms can be a tad aggressive if you come back right after they've cleaned. I'd recommend switching to something natural and more gentle. But other than those minor quibbles, this place was a definite win, and if I were back in Santa Cruz, it would be my first choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for such a very nice review! We are delighted that you liked the hotel so much, and especially appreciate the compliments to our staff who do work so hard to keep our guests happy. You've just made all of our days and we thank you, once again, for letting us know. Hope to see you again soon on a return trip to Santa Cruz!
Livermore, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife, a friend and I stayed one night, February 4, 2013, at the Hampton Inn on Ocean Street. I would not hesitate to come here again for a longer stay. Our rooms were large, clean, and well appointed. The breakfast looked very nice but since we were dinning at Aldos, we passed it up. All in all, a very nice experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
What a really nice review - thank you so much for taking the time to let us all know how well your visit with us went! We hope that you'll have the chance to stay with us again sometime soon, and thanks again for your generous comments.
Jackson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel staff goes above & beyond in courtesy & efficiency. A delightful place to stay. The continental breakfast was fresh and satisfying. Easy to find and centrally located for out of towners. I always look for easy internet access the rooms have wireless connection that was easy and reliable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We're so happy that you enjoy the hotel so well! It really makes our day to hear this and special thanks for your compliments to our staff, who really do go above and beyond to help our guests feel welcome. Thanks so much for mentioning that!

We hope that you will come and stay with us again next time you're in Santa Cruz... and thanks again.
Stockton Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was not our first trip to Santa Cruz, but our first stay at a Hampton Inn. We went to Santa Cruz for our youngest daughters 14th birthday. It was me [Mom] and both of my daughters and my niece who is currently staying with us while attending college. This review won't be all about the room which was your standard Hilton family style room. We had to two queen beds. It was clean and tidy which is what you want from your hotel room. This review will be more about the staff, and amenities.

We arrived on Jan 3rd 2013 around 2pm and checked in right away. A young man named Jason or Josh..sorry I know it was a "J" name. He was on duty and was EXTREMELY professional and personable. He told me about the lobby/breakfast area construction going on, and even told me what times they would be ending and starting each morning. Which by the way was a very respectful time of 10am to 6pm. Jason also asked what are plans where for our stay...asked if we would be dining out and gave me several suggestions along with some money saving coupons. He also gave me a list of local places that would deliver to the hotel. He told me our room 107 was DIRECTLY across from the breakfast area and asked if I wanted to switch rooms. I asked how full the hotel was and the percentage of kids and was comfortable in keeping our original room. We actually never heard any loudness at all. The only 'big' problem we had was I literally spent 25 minutes trying to get the tv to work. Felt very stupid...went to Jason and he assured me that MANY folks have difficulty figuring it out. Once he went through all the steps I had no problem for the rest of our stay.

So the staff, room and closeness to the highway deserve 4 stars, But took off half a star for the following reasons. My girls were very thrilled to learn there was an indoor pool...but sadly it was more like a large bathtub. Luke warm, less then 4 feet deep, and very very small. The hotel would be much more suited in turning "bathtub" into a usable spa/hot tub. Secondly the TINY parking lot. We have 5 children and drive a Yukon XL and had MASSIVE problems trying to fit into the very tight spaces. And the breakfast was not that great. We typically always stay at an Embassy Suites and am used to their breakfast, and assumed Hampton would be the same but was not. Hampton's breakfast was more of a continental with eggs one day and sausage links [NOT pork...tasted very odd] the next day. The only fresh fruit was apples. So for a quick no frills breakfast it was so-so.

So all in all I would recommend this hotel, but if there was an Embassy suites nearby we would feel more comfortable staying there...now if only we could find an Embassy Suites with their own Jason THAT would be a winning combination.

Room Tip: If hotel is full then would not stay in the 3 rooms directly across from the breakfast common area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of our hotel.

First of all I'd like to thank you for your glowing review of Jason! I so love it when he gets such a great write-up, as he so deserves it :) I agree, he is unfailingly helpful and professional and we are very, very lucky to have him here. Thank you so much for reinforcing this.

Regarding the parking situation: So often when I am at other locations around northern California I marvel at the amount of space that is available for parking, and I admit to being envious! Unfortunately, in downtown Santa Cruz we simply do not have this luxury. I'm so sorry that you had difficulty parking your Yukon, and hope that it didn't cause you too much trouble.

Finally, breakfast. Every Hilton brand (Embassy Suites being one, Hampton another) adheres to strict standards telling us exactly what we are "allowed" to serve for breakfast. By definition, the ES breakfast and the Hampton breakfast are different, and we are not allowed any leeway in what we serve. Hampton hotels are generally not large enough to support the extensive breakfast preparation area of the ES.

Of course, given the lower pricing of our rooms and the many offerings available at our complimentary breakfast, we feel that the Hampton offers a great value to our guests... but naturally this is up to the individual guest to decide for themselves.

Once again, thanks for your review and we're really happy that so many aspects of your stay were so satisfactory. We hope that you will come and stay with us again next time you're in Santa Cruz.
Modesto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a 2 night reservation starting Jan. 20. It was a clean hotel but... It was soooo noisy from people partying, traffic, screaming during the night and kids running in the halls. The bed was unbelieveably HARD and uncomfortable. Then the continental breakfast began with watered down OJ. Yogurt was good as was the waffle but the fresh fruit mix was not ripe. We checked out and did not stay the 2nd night. The clerk at the front desk said he had to ask parents several times for kids to stop running and stop the noise in the halls. Another guest confirmed our observations with the same complaints. The clerk did help us find another hotel to stay at near by. Oh, and the indoor pool was about the size of a hot tub--very small, maybe 4'x8'.
We could not believe it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We were dismayed to learn of the many issues that you experienced and appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We apologize about the noise in the hotel on the night that you stayed with us. Being a holiday weekend we had a number of vacationing families staying with us, and I'm sure that their children were in high spirits. It is my understanding that our staff addressed this with the parties involved and that all was quiet by about 10pm. Again, we're really sorry for this disruption and inconvenience.

Regarding the mattress in your room, as we have between 50-100 guests stay with us every night I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty in finding a single mattress that will suit every person's preferences. We do, in fact, get letter after letter from guests telling us that this was the most comfortable mattress they've ever slept on! I really am sorry that it did not suit you nearly as well, and wish this had not been the case.

Yes, our pool is quite small, as we have tried to make clear to our future guests via our website and also the Trip Advisor forum. We wish that there had been more room available to build a larger one when the hotel was built, but due to site and zoning limitations this was not possible. We're very sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy the pool, but I would like to point out that 4' x 8' is roughly the size of a full-sized mattress (or a large bathtub). Our pool is small, but hardly that small!!

And finally, as to the cut fruit at breakfast... we adhere to strict requirements which tell us exactly what we are to serve at breakfast, and this is delivered by Hampton's approved supplier. Yours is the first comment that I have ever received complaining that the fruit was not ripe, and unfortunately I'm at a loss as to how to correct this. We will certainly keep an eye on this in the future, however, and we thank you for letting us know about this problem.

Please know that I have discussed your comments with the General Manager of the hotel, and she also appreciates your letting us know about these issues. Thank you once again for your correspondence.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Service, cleanliness, bedding, Amenities everything was top notch. Location to everything in Santa Cruz. I can't say enough about this hotel. One of the best ever.
I have family that live there in Santa Cruz it's a safe place to visit and live.

Room Tip: 218 was very roomy and pretty quiet not a great view but close to stairs and elevator
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
StephanieHilton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Wow, thanks so much for such a great review!! On behalf of the entire staff at the Hampton Inn Santa Cruz a big THANK YOU, we really appreciate your kind words. And we look forward to seeing you again next time you're in Santa Cruz to visit your family!

Been to Hampton Inn Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!