“Old hotel, unfriendly staff” 1 of 5 stars

Inn at Pasatiempo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   555 Highway 17, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-1812   |
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Modesto, CA
“Old hotel, unfriendly staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

The staff was not welcoming at all and the room looked like it has not changed in 50 years. The internet connection was awfully slow. The breakfast was just old greasy costco donuts. Yuck! I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
bay area california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I had our wedding reception here in August of 2004 and we were very happy with the impeccable dining room service. We had a small party of about 20 people and we rented a small private dining room that had access to the lovely terrace. Everything for me as a bride was handled properly, timely and professionally. This is an older property but that said, this means they have been doing weddings for a long time and have experience. The food was wonderful and my guests raved. We did a combination of appetizers from the wedding buffet menus along with ordering all entrees off the dinner menu. We even went overtime and told the staff we were willing to pay the additional per hour charge and they were happy to accomodate us. When I was married in 2004 I was 34 years old and this venue was perfect for us. Younger brides in the 20s may think this property is "old" but the service is impeccable - they know how to put on a reception. We also booked a block of rooms and the only complaint I would have is that there was no A/C and in August it was very warm.

• Liked — professional reception service
  • Disliked — no air conditioning in the rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
OAKLEY, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I have been staying at the Inn for about 6 years now, we stay there several nights through out the year. I always try to stay in one of the suite's. It's has much more room and a fireplace, ref., cd player and a big livingroom area.
I have three children and we need the space. I have stayed with big groups of girls on girl trips, I have stayed at the Inn and brought other family's along and they have all really enjoyed there stay. When the kids are out of school, I sometimes come by myself with the kids. I love it there because I feel safe and at home. My little twins call it there other house. I have always been treated great by the staff. The room service and the food is great and I think a decent price. The grounds are very lovely and when everything is in bloom it just looks beautiful.

• Liked — I love the garden area
  • Disliked — Need a Hot Tub in Pool Area
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
los altos, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I discovered this gem years ago. Love the country setting (away from crowded downtown) yet so close and accessible. Unique and tastefully furnished rooms, always clean. Beautiful grounds! ! ! Adore the pool area especially, and it's warm enough to swim late in the evening (bath water!). The restaurant is unusually good, and very reasonable. Entire staff is gracious and friendly. I'll continue to stay here whenever I'm in Santa Cruz...

• Liked — setting
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Napa Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2007

We were totally let down. Not only was the decor just the same as it was 19 years ago. My husband was sitting in a chair that broke and he fell to the ground. Not only did the front desk help not even ask if he was ok, they told me the chairs were custom made for the Inn at the cost of $495.00 each and charged my credit card for it. How can a hotel room rate be $92.00 per night and they have chairs that cost that much? Not likely. This place is in despirate need of a make over including the beds (very uncomfortable.) Families not welcome. The entire staff was waiting in front of the Inn when we arrived and all were looking us over, very uncomfortable. Not welcoming.

• Liked — Nothing like I remember, except the furniture.
  • Disliked — Unfair, Unfriendly, Uncaring, storie maker
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Walnut Creek
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived since I had read the poor reviews. We were greeted by an extremely friendly staff at 11 am on a Sunday morning. Our rooms were not ready (check in is at 3 pm). We were immediately offered an upgrade which we declined as we needed to stay "connected" to our teenage sons. We checked in, left our bags in storage and returned later that evening. The rooms were clean although a bit worn around the edges, the beds were comfortable, and the dough nuts and coffee for breakfast were GREAT! When we checked out, we realized that on top of the very good service, our room was discounted below the price quoted by our travel agent. Would we stay there again...most likely. We would probably ask for a room away from the parking lot and a couple of extra pillows. I would say we got good value for our money spent.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
N. Cali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

We were a little worried after reading the very negative reviews posted here. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the desk gal. Our room was #301. It was in the back part of the building nearest the restaurant. The room was clean. It was samll, but thoughtfully furnished. The bathroom was adequate (shower only) for our needs. The queensize bed was comfortable. Nights were generally quiet, with a 5:30 a.m. garbage truck on Monday. Overall we felt the place was fine for the $80 price through AAA. Location is a bit out of town and you have to go through the very congested Hwy 17/Hwy 1 interchange every time you want to go into town. The morning light breakfast and coffee was fine.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Inn at Pasatiempo? Share your experiences!