“Over-rated and over-priced!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Diego, California
“Over-rated and over-priced!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Decent location but for heaven's sake turn the Inn at Pasatiempo sign to face the entrance! Comfortable bed. Probably won't stay here again.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We were looking for a place to stay, not far from Carmel. We were happy to find this Inn at a reasonable price. Location is perfect, close to Route 17 and 1. We stayed for 2 nights. The room was clean and service was excellent. Rooms seem to be remodeled. No air conditioning, only a fan. It was fine overnight as we were out all day. The fridge was making noise all night long. Breakfast is continental and nothing much to talk about. They had a dozen wall clocks in the dining room, very interesting stuff. They have a lawn in the back where weddings are held. Overall, an adequate place for a short stay.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011 via mobile

Traditional motel layout and buildings. But atmosphere ,decor and furnishings are clean modern and comfortable.
Rooms-spacious,clean,well furnished and decorated.
Family run place with lovely staff,great atmosphere decor.

Popular Wedding venue. Some rooms show signs of wear. Bed very comfortable.
Lives up to a three star rating.

• Stayed August 2011
Rochelle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a quaint Hotel with all the amenities you need. We enjoyed the free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and good service. Because we were there on a Tuesday we also attended the free Jazz concert at the deck. We woud love to go back there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I was looking for a hotel near Santa Cruz for myself and two kids. Booked this on Priceline for $70 plus tax. Then I read the reviews here and actually wasted 45 minutes on the phone with Priceline trying to get out of the reservation. No luck so we went with some trepidation and were pleasantly surprised.

Why I'd go back: 5 minutes from the beaches and boardwalk, but none of the drunk, sometimes sketchy nighttime crowd. Very comfortable and clean room (we shared a king bed in room 116), large bathroom with all of the toiletries. Wonderful free breakfast: instant oatmeal, pastries, coffee, hard boiled eggs, and assortment of canned 100% juices. Really nice grounds and a larger pool than I expected. The staff were very nice and professional too.

What wasn't so great: Other reviewers mentioned how hot the rooms were. Ours was warm, and didn't have AC but the ceiling fan was helpful. The windows, shower doors, and main hotel room doors were pretty shoddy. When you closed a door (or a neighbor did), it was pretty loud and sort of "shook" the building. That was the only sound that carried though. The hotel was pretty full but we never heard a neighbor - just the front doors.

Overall, I gave this property a very good rating because of the price I paid for the accommodation. Our experience was better than the 2 1/2 stars I expected.

Room Tip: Some of the 200's had a nice view of the gardens.
Colfax, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I mr. millanes showed up on saturday with reservations to check in .I get to front desk they can't find reservation then found and they said.your reservation was for friday we charged you 277.00 for no show .and we have no rooms for tonight at this time its 5 pm. at this mananger showes up in a tank top and said we record all reservations an it could take her up to three hours to listen to conversation .and we should leave go to hilton and if its your mistake you will pay another 366.00 . but the hilton willcharge us directly an we will work it out all said. 10 min later we get call ya sorry are misstake .we get home theres 643.00 charged on card.so now we go through amass getting charged removed from hilton.no compensation for any thing . sugust passing this hotel at this time.8/21/2011

Alameda, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Horrible. Stayed here for one night with my wife and 2 kids and would not stay here again under almost any circumstance. The hotel could be nice but the owners have let it go.

The Facts: I priceline'd the hotel and got it for $60. When I called the hotel to ask for 2 beds I was advised it would be an additional $20. There is a small fridge in the unit. There isn't a hair dryer. There isn't air conditioning. The location is outside of Santa Cruz on Highway 17 and is a 10 minute car ride to get to the boardwalk. There aren't any businesses close to the hotel except for the hotel restaurant and bar (In my opinion the hotel restaurant seemed very overpriced). There is free wireless internet but it was very slow when we tried to use it.

The Good: The front desk and cleaning staff were very nice and helpful. Even though the hotel is about a 10 minute drive to the boardwalk I thought the location is nice. It has alot of trees and was pretty quiet even with its proximity to Highway 17. The beds were comfortable. The shower was a good size.

The Bad: Where do I start?

The room was visibly dirty. The carpets were disgusting and need immediate replacement. I didn't want to walk on it with my bare feet.

The room was very hot and stuffy. After discovering there wasn't A/C I tried to get some fresh air in the room but it wouldn't cool down until about 3am when we had to open the window and hope for the best. Our room was on the first floor and the window faces the parking lot so opening the window wasn't the most secure thing to do but we couldn't take it anymore. It also increased the noise level.

The only fan was a ceiling fan. When it was turned on the highest 2 speeds it made a noise that made it impossible to sleep. There was no exhaust fan/vent in the bathroom.

The wireless internet was extremely slow.

The pool had a rotten egg smell coming from the area. I looked around to see if I could determine what was causing the smell but I couldn't figure it out.

The room had some 2 prong electrical outlets. This is an issue if you're trying to charge modern devices that have 3 prongs.

Noise levels coming from the adjoining rooms and parking lot are pretty high. The maintence crews started working early and were kinda noisy.

Not sure what else I can say about this. It's unfortunate because the hotel really could be nice with a little updating.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Pasatiempo? Share your experiences!