“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient, Cost Effective” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient, Cost Effective”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the Hilton a little further out of town may provide a full service property (and frankly, also a pretty good value at some times and a very acceptable on site restaurant), the Holiday Inn Express on Ocean Street is perfect if you want to be closer to the water without paying a premium. It is also very convenient to UCSC, the purpose of my visit, and has a staff that aims to please.
I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to a "larger" room so don't know if the amenities in my room were what you can expect to find in all rooms, but it had a refrigerator, 2 TV's, couch (assume pull out), table/chairs and large bathroom. Very nicely appointed for a mid-tier property.
Parking is convenient but make sure you stop by the office to check in before you park your car - you need your room key to access the elevator from the underground parking area!
Nice sitting area in front of the entrance that we took advantage of. They DO make you sign an agreement stating you will not have a party in your room so don't imagine you will get a lot of excess noise late at night either.
All in all a very pleasant stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
MarkS,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. We were so happy that you enjoyed your upgraded room and that your stay was nice and quiet. Your feedback is essential to us and I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and to see that our team is on track with making all of our guests experiences one they will recommend to friends and family. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Michael Meredith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Muir Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Best moderate priced hotel I've stayed in lately. I usually use Holiday Inns, Best Westerns, etc. for business travel as I pay my own expenses. This particular Holiday Inn Express is the best I've stayed in! It is clean, modern, great beds, terrific lighting in bathroom (I AM a girl) great parking, easy access to freeway, quiet and has a decent breakfast with lots of choices for food. On top of that every employee I encountered was very professional, friendly and helpful. They all had great attitudes so the management must know what they are doing in training his staff. Happy staff make for happy guests!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Delrah,

Wow, I am so glad to see that we are the best Holiday Inn Express you have ever stayed in. We feel that as a destination hotel along the California Coast that we want to bring all of our guests to a new level of experience. We take great pride in our team and making sure that every guest can enjoy their time, their way. I will share your comment with our team as I know they will be excited that they made such a positive impact during your travels. Thank you for making us your preferred hotel when in Santa Cruz and I look forward to your coming back to visit with us very soon.

REDMOND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

this might be one of the best values in santa cruz. close to the highway, wifi, free breakfast, safe parking, all for about $100-110. rooms seem to be updated. parking was free and the staff was very friendly and helpful. i would stay here again.

Dear EricS,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased to see that your experience was so amazing. We truly appreciate our guests and the feedback they give as it is our number one way that we can continue to improve our team and make sure we are on track to insure superior guest experiences for everybody who stays with us. Thank you for your time and sharing with us and I look forward to having you back in the near future.

Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The rooms are really nice and comfortable. Really clean. Nice view and location. Nice and quiet (optimal for a good nights sleep). Awesome employees. I'm very satisfied. Think everyone should stay here if they want someplace nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear BritniD,

Thank you for such a truly impressive review of us. I personally appreciate you taking the time to share with us about your stay, our staff, and how you recommend any and all Santa Cruz travelers stay with us. I will share with my team your kind and thoughtful words as they will love seeing that our goal of 100% guest satisfaction and creating an inspiring experience was achieved and is on track for all of our guests. We all hope that you get the chance to return again as I have no doubt you will stay impressed with every visit to your home away from home here at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Cruz. Come back soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Room was clean and seemed recently remodeled / updated. Parking in the garage was easy and free of charge, unlike many other hotels in SC. Noise level from pool in courtyard was pretty constant and loud, but they have a strict policy about no parties or noise I think after 10pm. Easy access (by car) to downtown SC, highway 1 or 17, restaurants, gas, drug stores, etc. Only complaint is the TV channels were a pathetic selection of bad cable. Premium stations on the room channel card were blocked out or non-existant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear PacSW,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I do have exciting news for you about the only thing you mentioned you would like improved. Santa Cruz is converting to digital cable finally and we are one of the first in the entire area to add a whole new lineup of HD channels and channel listings. We are even looking forward to summer as we will then have the largest channel selection available in the Santa Cruz area. I hope that you will return and see the changes you mentioned as your opinion was so incredibly important to us. Please let us know when you are back in town so we can share these added amenities with you and setup a truly VIP experience.

Osaka, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I experienced same feeling with Mr Greg R who wrote "Decent Hotel... Bad GM".
What I did was that I told front desk water cannot go out from drain after I stopped shower off and I went out for about 3 hours. When I came back to hotel, I got 1,000 dollars bill for extra cleaning pay. GM Michael Meredith 1) said I didn't stop shower so water flood with no evidence. 2) showed me the picture only damaged room and gravel, dirt which cause drain problem. 3) said water flood cause adjacent rooms and setting off alarm system, then fire department respond and hotel evacuation. I explained I stopped shower and I didn't flow such a big amount of gravel, dirt but he didn't understand. What I disappointed was his attitude to me was very high-pressure,disrespectful, and despising.
If you stay this hotel, you need insurance.

Dear Kintaro23,

I am sorry you feel that way. Let me outline again why you were charged for yourself and our TripAdvisor community.

1) Washing mountain bike gear in your shower and creating a clogged drain with gravel, sand, and excessive dirt as shown to you through multiple photographs of varying angles.

2) Leaving your shower running and flooding your room, the hallway, and the floors below you causing thousands of dollars in property damage again showed to you in photographs of varying angles.

3) Disrupting our guests stays which are so very important to us by having city services dispatched due to your flood setting off building alarms.

We thank you for signing and agreeing to the damage when you were given photo evidence as even your bike tour leader agreed that you must pay. I am sorry you might think the steps we took to protect our property and MOST importantly all other guests that were staying at our hotel that were affected was not to your liking. I can assure you when issues like this arise we take them very seriously. If you have any other questions you may direct them to me and we look forward to your groups return next season as I am sure these issues can be avoided moving forward.

Creating Great Hotels Guests Love,
Wilton, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here with high school daughter as first stop on CA schools visit, particularly to see UC Santa Cruz. Staff was very helpful with directions and dinner recommendations, both downtown and on the pier. Pool is enclosed in center of building - good sun, little wind. Breakfast buffet was standard continental fair, with twist for things like waffles. Be careful pulling into and out-of underground garage - very steep, both ways!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear WiltonOak,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I hope that UCSC is now a top contender for your daughter and we might see you many more times. I was happy to see that our staff was so outgoing and attentive to your needs while visiting and exploring what might become a frequent destination spot for you and your family. We hope that when you come back to Santa Cruz you will always consider us your first choice for staying in our town. We would love to be your home away from home.