“good hotel, good value, good location, clean rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
REDMOND
“good hotel, good value, good location, clean rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

this might be one of the best values in santa cruz. close to the highway, wifi, free breakfast, safe parking, all for about $100-110. rooms seem to be updated. parking was free and the staff was very friendly and helpful. i would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear EricS,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased to see that your experience was so amazing. We truly appreciate our guests and the feedback they give as it is our number one way that we can continue to improve our team and make sure we are on track to insure superior guest experiences for everybody who stays with us. Thank you for your time and sharing with us and I look forward to having you back in the near future.

Michael Meredith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The rooms are really nice and comfortable. Really clean. Nice view and location. Nice and quiet (optimal for a good nights sleep). Awesome employees. I'm very satisfied. Think everyone should stay here if they want someplace nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear BritniD,

Thank you for such a truly impressive review of us. I personally appreciate you taking the time to share with us about your stay, our staff, and how you recommend any and all Santa Cruz travelers stay with us. I will share with my team your kind and thoughtful words as they will love seeing that our goal of 100% guest satisfaction and creating an inspiring experience was achieved and is on track for all of our guests. We all hope that you get the chance to return again as I have no doubt you will stay impressed with every visit to your home away from home here at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Cruz. Come back soon!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Room was clean and seemed recently remodeled / updated. Parking in the garage was easy and free of charge, unlike many other hotels in SC. Noise level from pool in courtyard was pretty constant and loud, but they have a strict policy about no parties or noise I think after 10pm. Easy access (by car) to downtown SC, highway 1 or 17, restaurants, gas, drug stores, etc. Only complaint is the TV channels were a pathetic selection of bad cable. Premium stations on the room channel card were blocked out or non-existant.

Dear PacSW,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I do have exciting news for you about the only thing you mentioned you would like improved. Santa Cruz is converting to digital cable finally and we are one of the first in the entire area to add a whole new lineup of HD channels and channel listings. We are even looking forward to summer as we will then have the largest channel selection available in the Santa Cruz area. I hope that you will return and see the changes you mentioned as your opinion was so incredibly important to us. Please let us know when you are back in town so we can share these added amenities with you and setup a truly VIP experience.

Osaka, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I experienced same feeling with Mr Greg R who wrote "Decent Hotel... Bad GM".
What I did was that I told front desk water cannot go out from drain after I stopped shower off and I went out for about 3 hours. When I came back to hotel, I got 1,000 dollars bill for extra cleaning pay. GM Michael Meredith 1) said I didn't stop shower so water flood with no evidence. 2) showed me the picture only damaged room and gravel, dirt which cause drain problem. 3) said water flood cause adjacent rooms and setting off alarm system, then fire department respond and hotel evacuation. I explained I stopped shower and I didn't flow such a big amount of gravel, dirt but he didn't understand. What I disappointed was his attitude to me was very high-pressure,disrespectful, and despising.
If you stay this hotel, you need insurance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kintaro23,

I am sorry you feel that way. Let me outline again why you were charged for yourself and our TripAdvisor community.

1) Washing mountain bike gear in your shower and creating a clogged drain with gravel, sand, and excessive dirt as shown to you through multiple photographs of varying angles.

2) Leaving your shower running and flooding your room, the hallway, and the floors below you causing thousands of dollars in property damage again showed to you in photographs of varying angles.

3) Disrupting our guests stays which are so very important to us by having city services dispatched due to your flood setting off building alarms.

We thank you for signing and agreeing to the damage when you were given photo evidence as even your bike tour leader agreed that you must pay. I am sorry you might think the steps we took to protect our property and MOST importantly all other guests that were staying at our hotel that were affected was not to your liking. I can assure you when issues like this arise we take them very seriously. If you have any other questions you may direct them to me and we look forward to your groups return next season as I am sure these issues can be avoided moving forward.

Creating Great Hotels Guests Love,
Wilton, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here with high school daughter as first stop on CA schools visit, particularly to see UC Santa Cruz. Staff was very helpful with directions and dinner recommendations, both downtown and on the pier. Pool is enclosed in center of building - good sun, little wind. Breakfast buffet was standard continental fair, with twist for things like waffles. Be careful pulling into and out-of underground garage - very steep, both ways!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear WiltonOak,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I hope that UCSC is now a top contender for your daughter and we might see you many more times. I was happy to see that our staff was so outgoing and attentive to your needs while visiting and exploring what might become a frequent destination spot for you and your family. We hope that when you come back to Santa Cruz you will always consider us your first choice for staying in our town. We would love to be your home away from home.

van nuys
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

super clean super staff service from the front desk to house keeping what a team breakfast is excellent a staff is surely trained to to give the best service to there gaust I felt right at home this is my second stay and will return for much more highly recomendet

Room Tip: I prefferd 3rd floor
Dear Charlesb,

It is great to hear that our team is making all of your stays feel like your right at home. It means alot to us to earn our guests loyalty and I am so glad that we are your #1 preferred choice for Santa Cruz. Thank you for taking the time to review us and share how great your many visits have been to our hotel. We look forward to making sure everytime your in Santa Cruz you stay impressed with our service and team.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Express in Santa Cruz in July of 2012. The location is ideal, just off the highway but still within walking distance of downtown.

The hotel had very helpful and friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was so-so, but all around the property is clean, new and well maintained. The parking is very tight in the garage.

There really isn't a lot of good clean hotel options that I could see in Santa Cruz, so this is probably one of the best picks overall.

The area is a little rough looking, so I don't know if I'd walk the streets at night - but during the day I didn't have any issues.

Its approx. a 25 minute stroll to downtown; which is very nice with its palmed lined streets, cafes, surfer shops and small artisan boutiques.

From the down town kiosk outside the old theatre you can take a trolley bus to the Santa Cruz beach board walk and pier. Well worth the small toll. Also , its well worth it to go and see the surfing from up top the hillside view "Lighthouse Field State Park" just north of the pier.

I'd also recommend the heritage train ride from the boardwalk which will take you through a Redwoods forest and into Henry Cowell Redwoods State park.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a pool view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you 1Thetimetraveler!

I am glad to see you enjoyed not only our great little town but you experience at the hotel. Thank you for sharing how convienant everything was, how friendly our staff was, and how clean and well maintained we keep the property. Your feedback is our number one tool to continue to improve our guests experiences and let our team know they are doing an amazing job. I appreciate you taking the time to review us and I hope that you consuider us as your number one choice whenever you return to Santa Cruz again.