“Decent Stay, handy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Decent Stay, handy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel was a standard holiday inn express experience. At least for us teh staff were a little brusque in checking us in but very efficient. We had to find the breakfast room on our own , no description as we checked in. Perhaps we were spoiled by how amazing the Solana Beach HIE staff were. The energy saving no electricity in the room without a room key is just annoying when you want to leave items charging.
The room was large and clean, the hotel was near enough to drive anywhere in Sc within minutes. The hotel had plenty parking which made driving within the city to get to places stress free.
The breakfast area was clean, well looked after and had all the wonderful features which make a great start to the day.
A decent hotel that was very handy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear JaneinMa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share yout stay. I am sorry to hear that we scored high on efficency but might have missed a little on your check in. We will use that as a tool to improve our team each day so that our guests can always be impressed. Additionally I apologize for any confusion about the great new energy efficent feature for each room as it is only for the overhead lighting and a/c-heating unit. Charging for phones and other traveling devices is available at all times. When you visit us again in Santa Cruz we will be more than happy to share in depth each great feature our travel and eco friendly amenties our room has.

Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed staying with us and remember you are like family now so come back and visit us again real soon!

Happy travels,
Michael Meredith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

pretty much your standard Holiday Inn Express and has everything you would expect. We would have stayed again a second night but decided to get a bed and breakfast in Monterey on our way down to Big Sur as a day trip. If you arrive late as we did, none of the restaurants were open after 9 or 10pm but we were recommended the pizza place (sorry cant remember the name) and it was delicious!! The breakfast was good, filled us up and the room was spacious also clean. They had 2 PC's in the lobby which we used before checkout and they let us leave our car underground so we could walk around and get a coffee after we checked out before leaving on our road trip. No complaints! I recommended staying here! If I go back to Santa Cruz this will be my first choice for a stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear drock5280,

Excellence and Simplicty! We love that and may I say you are simply excellent for taking the time to share your feedback. It is awesome to hear that we will be your hands down first choice when coming back to Santa Cruz. So I say to you, come back soon, come back often, and just say hello because we appreciate you so much for making us your number one that you will always be #1 to us. Your loyality, your time, and kind words inspire us as we continue to create Great Hotels Guests Love!

Looking forward to your return,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Santa Cruz Hollday Inn Express is a very competent inn. It is clean, staffed with a pleasant staff and quite comfortable. The rooms are sufficiently spacious and well appointed. The price is reasonable. It is virtually in downtown SC. Near numerous restaurants, it is a good choice for business or pleasure travel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear rossbacher,

You are speaking my language my friend, business and travel... whatever your are in Santa Cruz for we will make you feel swept away with meeting all your needs! Thank you so much for your gracious comments and taking the time to share with our community. Santa Cruz has so many things to see and do that our central location to downtown is definately a great option for corporate or leisure travel.

Our team wants that 5th and final star so come back and visit us soon so we can make another great stay for you and earn that "score of perfection" it would mean alot to us to make your travels that enjoyable.

Wishing great travels,
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way through California on our honeymoon. This hotel was clean, comfortable, and the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly! The location wasn't the greatest, but we only stayed the one night. I think good quality can always be expected at the Holiday Inn Expresses.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Turkette,

CONGRATULATIONS! We love newlyweds and we are so deeply honored you spent such a special time in your lives with us. I am so glad to see you had such an amazing stay with us and that you enjoyed our superstar team at the front desk. We understand that when traveling you want to feel relaxed, yourself, and impressed with your surrondings. Our team knows that while the hotel is beutifully decorated, spacious, and centrally located we are equally invested in your time in Santa Cruz. We love to share everything we know and I hope you got some of that local culture from our teams suggestions. Swing back through one time and let us know when you are back so we can make another inspirational stay for you!

Thanks again for taking the time to share, it means alot to my team and me personally.

Wishing you much married bliss,
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights. I am a loyal HIE customer so I can say with some experience that the property, furnishings, decor, etc. are all very nice and on the upper tier of what Holiday Inn Express offers. However, my travel companion and I both had to resort to wearing earplugs at night. We could easily hear the people talking in the room next to us, we kept hearing a banging sound like a door or drawer opening and closing (and, no, it wasn't THAT), and in the morning we were greeted by lots of getting ready sounds in the rooms near us.

Our second night there, we arrived after dinner at about 10pm to find no available parking spaces that would fit anything other than a motorcycle or a Prius. Thanks to pillars and poor choices of how to stripe the garage, there was a number of largely useless spaces. We were grateful that the manager gave us (and another guest having the same issue) permission to park in spots normally off-limits.

To end on a positive note, the breakfast was fresh, tasty, and had a nice selection of hot items including scrambled eggs, omelettes, and pancakes. My travel companion is also now a huge fan of the cinnamon rolls. I would stay here again but would definitely wear earplugs every night and I'd try to rent a smaller car.

Room Tip: To reduce noise, ask for a room facing NOT facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear ToniPortland_OR,

I greatly appreciate that even with some issues you were able to have a great stay. In Santa Cruz we do have limited space due to our local geography but our team is always there to find creative ways to wow each guest. I am sorry to hear about the noise issue and as a loyal Holiday Inn Express guest I greatly appreciate your loyalty and taking the time to give your feedback. Please do contact me as i would love to discuss your last visit with us and create a VIP experience for you in the future.

We strive to have every guest leave feeling inspired and I would love to create a winning story for you and all your future stays with us here in Santa Cruz.

mmeredith@hiesantacruz.com
831-466-9100
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night while we were passing through Santa Cruz. Upon arrival, we were required to sign a "no party" policy. The person checking us in, Andrew, said it was a bit out of the ordinary that they required this to be signed, but it would ensure us an "absolutely quiet night of rest". Well, that didn't happen.

We returned from dinner to tons of noise outside our window. We opened the curtains to find out the pool was literally 5 feet from our window!!! No wonder the curtains were closed when we first entered the room. There was a high school swimming team at the hotel while we were there and they were incredibly loud in the pool area. That all stopped around 10:30, but then all the other noises started.....slamming doors, toilets flushing, people running in the halls, etc. The walls are really thin, so you hear everything. We tried to turn the fan on for white noise, but there wasn't an option for it to run continuously it kept shutting on and off. It's ironic that they make you sign a noise policy when their own building isn't designed to be quiet. Why on earth would you put a pool that close to the rooms??? When I checked out, I was asked if everything was OK. I complained about the noise level and her response was "Oh, that's because we had a swim team staying here". That shouldn't matter, especially if you had them sign the same policy we had.

The rooms are large with big, modern bathrooms. That was a plus.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room AWAY from the pool. Most rooms face the pool and it's very, very c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Morgan88,

I deeply apologize that this was your experience at out hotel, it is not typical to receive this complaint because we do take our guests satisfaction so seriously and especially wish for anybody staying with us to feel like they can be themselves at all times in a quiet, calm, and relaxing location like guests usually do during their time with us. Your experience is very valuable to me and my team and we will certainly be using it to improve our standard of excellence. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss this with you further and help to correct this experience and offer my personal apologies.

831-295-6001
mmeredith@hiesantacruz.com
San Anselmo, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My two teens and I stayed here while attending a swim meet at UC Santa Cruz. Conveniently located near fwy, but quiet ( we were on the ground floor next to pool). Clean, newish rooms, granite bath counters, excellent heater, nice linens (soft & firm pillows), flat screen tv and roomy enough for 3 of us. Breakfast area was clean, and complimentary breakfast included omelette, biscuits,bacon, yogurt, cereals, muffins, fruit, and automated pancake maker. Not gourmet, but good enough to fill 2 hungry swimming teens and dining area was constantly being refilled with hot food because another swim team was staying here as well. Everyone was well- behaved because 1) they were tired at 6 am 2) they make you sign a no-party policy at the check in.

Hotel employee, Shannon was very helpful with our stay, and I would give her a ten for her kindness.

This is the third Holiday Inn Express that I've stayed at, and I feel that they give you a lot for your $. Improvement? Could use a mini- fridge( prob. not included because they are an Eco-conscious hotel) and a safe in the room.

I did not try them, but they had a small pool, sauna and fitness place.

Room Tip: I stayed on a ground floor next to pool. It was quiet, but it was also February !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer,

We certainly do strive to meet all of our guests needs, and I am glad that we were able to do that for you and your group. I hope that your time with us was memorable and that your family comes and visits us again soon. Thank you for taking the time to share with me your great experience and your suggestions for growth of our hotel. Your feedback is essential and I really appreciate you taking the time to share with us.

Thank you for the great note on our Guest Service team I will be sure to share with them as they will no doubt be super excited to see they made your stay great!

Cheers,
Michael Meredith

Been to Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!