“Noisy hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Phoenix, Arizona
“Noisy hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night while we were passing through Santa Cruz. Upon arrival, we were required to sign a "no party" policy. The person checking us in, Andrew, said it was a bit out of the ordinary that they required this to be signed, but it would ensure us an "absolutely quiet night of rest". Well, that didn't happen.

We returned from dinner to tons of noise outside our window. We opened the curtains to find out the pool was literally 5 feet from our window!!! No wonder the curtains were closed when we first entered the room. There was a high school swimming team at the hotel while we were there and they were incredibly loud in the pool area. That all stopped around 10:30, but then all the other noises started.....slamming doors, toilets flushing, people running in the halls, etc. The walls are really thin, so you hear everything. We tried to turn the fan on for white noise, but there wasn't an option for it to run continuously it kept shutting on and off. It's ironic that they make you sign a noise policy when their own building isn't designed to be quiet. Why on earth would you put a pool that close to the rooms??? When I checked out, I was asked if everything was OK. I complained about the noise level and her response was "Oh, that's because we had a swim team staying here". That shouldn't matter, especially if you had them sign the same policy we had.

The rooms are large with big, modern bathrooms. That was a plus.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room AWAY from the pool. Most rooms face the pool and it's very, very c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Morgan88,

I deeply apologize that this was your experience at out hotel, it is not typical to receive this complaint because we do take our guests satisfaction so seriously and especially wish for anybody staying with us to feel like they can be themselves at all times in a quiet, calm, and relaxing location like guests usually do during their time with us. Your experience is very valuable to me and my team and we will certainly be using it to improve our standard of excellence. Please contact me directly as I would like to discuss this with you further and help to correct this experience and offer my personal apologies.

831-295-6001
mmeredith@hiesantacruz.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Anselmo, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My two teens and I stayed here while attending a swim meet at UC Santa Cruz. Conveniently located near fwy, but quiet ( we were on the ground floor next to pool). Clean, newish rooms, granite bath counters, excellent heater, nice linens (soft & firm pillows), flat screen tv and roomy enough for 3 of us. Breakfast area was clean, and complimentary breakfast included omelette, biscuits,bacon, yogurt, cereals, muffins, fruit, and automated pancake maker. Not gourmet, but good enough to fill 2 hungry swimming teens and dining area was constantly being refilled with hot food because another swim team was staying here as well. Everyone was well- behaved because 1) they were tired at 6 am 2) they make you sign a no-party policy at the check in.

Hotel employee, Shannon was very helpful with our stay, and I would give her a ten for her kindness.

This is the third Holiday Inn Express that I've stayed at, and I feel that they give you a lot for your $. Improvement? Could use a mini- fridge( prob. not included because they are an Eco-conscious hotel) and a safe in the room.

I did not try them, but they had a small pool, sauna and fitness place.

Room Tip: I stayed on a ground floor next to pool. It was quiet, but it was also February !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jennifer,

We certainly do strive to meet all of our guests needs, and I am glad that we were able to do that for you and your group. I hope that your time with us was memorable and that your family comes and visits us again soon. Thank you for taking the time to share with me your great experience and your suggestions for growth of our hotel. Your feedback is essential and I really appreciate you taking the time to share with us.

Thank you for the great note on our Guest Service team I will be sure to share with them as they will no doubt be super excited to see they made your stay great!

Cheers,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while visiting family in Santa Cruz. This is a relatively new hotel in the area and we wanted to see how it compared to the other places we have stayed in town. Skipping to the conclusion, we loved it. Very friendly staff at check in. You will need to use their luggage trolley and get your own bags to your room yourself but there is an elevator in the parking area that goes directly to your floor to make this super convenient. Parking under the hotel is plentiful. Our room was clean, comfortable and in a quiet area. There were queen sized beds with fresh covers and linens and plenty of room for the two of us. Bathroom was nice and bright with good water pressure in the shower. The hotel offers a buffet style breakfast in the lobby each morning with standard choices plus a very unique pancake machine. The room rates vary greatly depending on what time of year you are looking at and this hotel can get really expensive in the high season. we have stayed in a lot of places in Santa Cruz over the years and this is our new favorite.

Room Tip: Book the high season way way way in advance for the best possible rate.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Jack,

Can I just say you are my new favorite too! wow, I really appreciate you taking the time to not only give your experience at our hotel but share with everybody how we are your new "fav" in town. I used your review today with my team training and I can tell you everybody was just so excited to see we not only meet your needs but made you come back time and time again. We put alot into our hotel and our guest experience is very important to our team. Our guests are truely amazing and I thank you so much for sharing the Holiday Inn Express Love here with us.

Come back soon... Santa Cruz is calling you!
Elk Grove
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

As a platinum member I stay in Holiday Inn's 50+ nights a year. My most recent stay at this hotel was riddled with billing errors and worst of all I was accused and charged for taking a remote from my room. When I discussed this issue, with the GM Michael Meredith, I explained what is more likely the remote fell behind the bed, in a couch cushion, etc or that after 100's of stays at HI's I took chose this night to steal a remote to a tv I didn't own he replied "check your suitcase and if you send it back I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and reverse the charges". A very disrespectful way to treat your elite travelers in my opinion. Overall, the majority of staff is friendly and the hotel is an average Holiday Inn but I will never return here due to the attitude of GM Michael Meredith.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Greg R,

Thank you for being a Platinum Member and leaving feedback of our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry about the issues you encountered with our staff service. I have taken note of your feedback and this will be relayed to our management to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Once again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your stay with us.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location is a little dicey,but that's where the complaints end. Nice hotel,fairly new,very pleasant staff and quite helpful. Breakfast was nice and the D/R was pleasant. A nice touch was the bottle os water at check in and check out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Appleation,

Thank you for your amazing review. I was glad to read that our team had exceeded your expectations in making your stay so great. We enjoy being proactive and knowing what our guests need to make their time here well spent. As a traveler myself I know the importance of feeling like I can be myself wherever I am and counting on my surrondings being upbeat and friendly to make a busy day smooth and problem free. I am glad to hear that we succeeded in making you love your new Santa Cruz home away from home. My team looks forward to your return and sharing with you some new amazing things about our hotel and team.

Yours,
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel three times and always had a great night's sleep. Queen beds are comfy and inviting. Room and bathroom not oversized but just right for a night or two - and in Santa Cruz, you'll probably spend more time in the city than the hotel! Front desk staff always cheerful and helpful. Workout room is decent with TV, towels and water. Hot breakfast each morning...not gourmet but very adequate. Eggs, biscuits, sausage (alternates with bacon), juices, oatmeal, cereals, yogurts, breads. Hotel is right off Hwy 1 as you enter Santa Cruz, careful or you'll miss it. Parking underground requires a little agility but is well light, camera-monitored, and access via elevator to the hotel is safeguarded - requires your hotel key. Walking distance to the SC diner, featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, is a "must visit". Has a little of everything, fast service and very reasonable prices. In sum, you can find cheaper places to stay in SC but they are not as clean and comfortable. You can also stay at much more expensive hotels. This HI is a great value, and I place to stay here when I return to SC again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear 1_Polo_mom_,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Your loyalty means so much to us and confirms that we are creating Great Hotels Guests Love! Let me know how my team can earn that perfect score from you the next time you are in town. We strive for perfection, and for guests as wondeful as ours are we want them to leave feeling inspired. I look forward to your return back to your Santa Cruz home.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were attending a wedding in the area and decided to stay at this hotel as it was very convenient to the Pasatiempo wedding reception location. The greeting from the hotel clerk was pleasant and welcoming. We were able to check in just a little bit early which was helpful. Rooms were clean and adequate size. Breakfast had a wide variety of items. Will keep this one on the list should we return to the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HIE_Santa_Cruz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Ksr1011,

CONGRATULATIONS on the family/friends wedding! I hope it was an amazing experience for you and yours. Thank you for taking the time to say so many nice things about our staff and our hotel. One of our favorite things we hear is the great appreciation for our central location and our dedicated guest experience champions at the front desk. When you decide to return to Santa Cruz as I am sure you will sometime soon please do always consider us for lodging needs as we would take great joy in your continued loyalty!

Looking forward to your return,
Michael Meredith

Been to Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!