“A delightful inn with spectacular views” 5 of 5 stars

Sea and Sand Inn
201 W Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Northern California
“A delightful inn with spectacular views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

After reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor, we zeroed in on a stay at the Sea & Sand Inn. We were not disappointed! A darling inn, right on the cliff, with absolutely spectacular views! We were lucky enough to have landed in the deluxe spa room (king bed, spa, & fireplace!) and it was worth every penny. We opened up the windows at night and listened to the waves crashing on the shore below us. The seals barking in the morning were a delight. We were pleasantly surprised to find that wine & cheese were served in the late afternoon and that a continental breakfast was included as well. A real value. Enjoying wine & cheese on our patio, and then breakfast the next morning . . . it just couldn't have been any better. The office staff was friendly and helpful and we can't wait to return to this gem in Santa Cruz!!!

Room Tip: Room 111 - king deluxe with spa & fireplace was well worth the extra $$$.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

All I can say is the rave reviews that convinced us to choose this delightful retreat from ordinary reality were amply justified. The location is spectacular, nestled on a cliff between the funky and historic Santa Cruz Boardwalk/Beach and a gorgeous walk along the ocean, featuring numerous dolphin sightings. The rooms are smallish but beautifully appointed. A nice breakfast buffet is included in a cozy room complete with ocean view and fireplace. The staff is helpful and friendly. A great home away from home and we will be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife & I have been coming to Santa Cruz for many years, always thinking the Dream Inn was the bomb. Well, to our pleasant surprise, the bomb is next door...the Sea & Sand Inn is the awesome (and half the price of the Dream Inn). The rooms are clean and spacious, each has a spectacular view of the ocean, and the staff is wonderful. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Santa Cruz, in fact, we're coming back for our anniversary in June!

NYS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Guess I'm a trusting soul, but the suite we rented for a night was exquisitely remodeled. Spacious, clean and a short walk to the Wharf (boardwalk in New Jersey). Since weather was not 'Sunny CA, wish I could have spent more time at the patio on the beach side.

Woodside, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I have stayed here single, as a romantic couple, and with my 3 kids as a family. Each time it suits me perfectly. Check in is easy and parking is great. It is a small boutique hotel on the cliff overlooking the ocean and boardwalk on west cliff drive. Easy to get everywhere..walk to several beaches, natural bridges, biking, lighthouse, boardwalk, downtown, everything! We love taking our breakfast and going down to the eating area down a path directly on the ciiff over the ocean. Cons is that one side of our hotel room is directly next to parking, literally i could open curtain and be directly looking into my car and that is next to busy street so it can be a bit noisy. Also the soundproofing is poor. I have stayed here in the past where i could here the people next to me having very loud "relations" and this time the people above us sounded like they were having a dance party-but luckily shut it down at 10 as we were getting ready to go to bed and it was quiet. Service is polite and friendly. Continental breakfast is very good with lots of choices including great santa cruz roasting company coffee.
This place is a huge win each time I stay here. They dont have direct beach access like the dream inn next store where they have towels and a pool, but you get a much cozier, friendly, boutique hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I loved this place! When planning our San Francisco trip, my wife and I discovered the Elephant Seal walks at Ano Nuevo State Park, and decided to stay our first night in Santa Cruz so as to be close to that (it ended up being an easy and scenic 30 minute drive... perfect)! TripAdvisor had this place rated really high, and we've rarely been steered wrong by TA before, so we decided to book it.

We were really impressed! We stayed in one of their Executive King Suites. Besides the phenomenal views of the ocean (I've never seen so many surfers in my life!), wharf, and boardwalk, the room had a super comfortable bed, and an awesome 2 person Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom. Our only recommendation on the Jacuzzi tub was that the hot water ran out kind of fast, so next time I would probably run it a little bit hotter at first and see if that helped... but that's a small thing.

Some reviews have commented about road noise. We could hear the road if some hot-rod occasionally drove by and revved his engine real loud, but other then that, nothing. It didn't bother us at all, and we both had a great night sleep (which is a lot to say for me, being a really light sleeper). The continental breakfast was pretty standard... hard-boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, and a few pastries. But for the $159 we paid, this hotel was a great value. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay, and would highly recommend this place. We will be back whenever we are in the Santa Cruz Area again.

ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Husband and I stayed at the Sea and Sand Inn for our anniversary in early Dec. We booked the cottage studio room. I had thoroughly researched the place and read reviews before taking the leap. I thought I was prepared. OMG! We walked in, and my eye went right toward the HUGE private patio!! It was even better than I was expecting. You have your own private 4 person hot tub (hot, too!), and a patio set, and two lounge chairs, with a view to die for. I then realized I hadn't even looked at the room yet. It was very comfortable, not fancy, but clean and well apportioned. The absolutely only negative is the hotel and this room is on a main road/walkway, and you will hear a lot of people talking as they walk by, because the sidewalk is right outside the bedroom window, and the front door seriously needs weatherstripping to prevent noise and draft, but fortunately the roar from the sea drowned a lot of noise out, yes, you are that close, and the sea lions barking was wonderful. As I sat in the jacuzzi, I could watch sea lions swim and play, watch the paddle boarders, beautiful pelicans, you name it. Continental breakfast was very nice, and staff our wonderful. We went whale watching and saw killer whales!! Great trip, and we plan on going back many more times. Lots of great restaurants on Pacific street! Enjoy!! We did.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea and Sand Inn? Share your experiences!