“The Good, The Bad, and Whatever” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Pacific Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Chico, California
“The Good, The Bad, and Whatever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Let me first start off with a little about me so that one can make his/her judgement with that:
I do not travel constantly, but I do take 1-2 small vacations a year and have for about 20 years. That makes quite a few motels and hotels in which I have stayed. Most of those that I stay in are cheaper motels because I like to spend my money on the other stuff I do on trips. That said, I have my own list of pros and cons for who I am. This does not mean that this place is great or bad. It is just my own preferences. So, now here is my review.

My boyfriend and I made reservations for this place after reading many reviews on many different sites. Check-in was easy. We were booked for 4 nights and the staff behind the counter seemed quite informed and it was a pleasant experience to both check-in and check out. My boyfriend and I were upgraded to the newly remodeled king room--room 120. What I had read stated that these were the best rooms, so I was excited. But to be honest, that is where my excitement ended.

Unfortunately, there were a few more cons than pros to the lodge. Here is my list:
Pros: It was right across from the pool and spa entrance and just a couple doors down from the breakfast room, the room was easy to find, there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign present which has not always been the case at some places I have stayed, The bathroom was the second cleanest one I have ever seen during my various stays, there was a great deal of lighting everywhere with not a dark corner to be found, the exhaust fan in the bathroom worked and was only lightly noisy, there was no odor neither negative nor positive, the blinds were clean and easy-to-use, the bathroom was huge and included a built-in vanity, a shower head on both ends of the shower stall (two total)--one of which is a removable kind that is adjustable for height, a large screen TV with one's money's worth of cable, a Keurig coffee maker, a strict no-noise-after-10 pm policy, and the AC worked nicely and quietly, the morning breakfast had quite a selection (waffles, oatmeal, granola, cold cereal, yoplait yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate, orange and apple juice, breads for toasting, muffins, danish, etc) and a big room to eat within, free parking, and walking distance to most everything that we went and seen.

Cons: The parking lot was small and difficult to maneuver when it was full (as was the case on the first day), the door to the room was wide open when we arrived and had to find someone to make sure that they were done cleaning it and the door was consistently difficult to close, the box spring sounded busted as soon as someone set on the bed (but they said they had a new one on order!), pillows and bed was quite firm to the point of being uncomfortable, there was no "softness" to the room (no drapes, no shower curtain, no carpet, etc) making it a bit too modern and stark for my taste, privacy seemed lacking because the wooden blinds didn't seem to shut out all the light and because the walls were paper thin, there was no chain nor security latch (but they had the deadbolt), the headboard was dark and made the living area feel dingy, there was some damage to the paint and to the bathroom door and sill which looked bad for a supposed recently remodeled room, the bathroom floor was very, very slippery--even when I tried to wear shoes or slippers, the sheets smelled as if they hadn't been properly dried, there was no decorations or art on the walls, the toilet is located directly in the line sight of the window and the bathroom door did not always stay shut so that was a little difficult to work, baseboards were filthy, the bathroom had a sickly peach-orange color which reminded me of the insane asylum in movies, the alarm clock wasn't set to the proper time and went off at 7 am waking my boyfriend who doesn't wake until 8, not enough areas to hang but one towel, other people's hair was found in the room and the floor was rarely swept leaving my feet or socks black just getting from the bathroom to the bed, there was no phone book or motel guide found anywhere in the room, and there were liquid stains on the TV set.

Finally, I don't know whether this is a pro or a con for me but the toilet flushed so strongly that one felt as if s/he would be sucked down with it. The pro was that it always flushed, but the con was how loudly it flushed. I could hear every toilet flush in the area I was at in the lodge.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Conveniently located near the beach, boardwalk and wharf, within walking distance. Rooms were clean, fridge, microwave and single serve keurig were handy. Several hours after checking in we realized the TV didn't work, turns out it was the direct TV box, so they moved us to an adjacent room, and offered to help us move our luggage. Weekday breakfast consisted of make your own waffles, toast, yogurt, bananas and cold cereal. Juice, coffee, milk, jellies, peanut butter etc. Washer and dryer are $2 each. Didn't use the pool, but noticed others were in tthe mornings, so it must have been warm. I would stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool instead of the street
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Nice little hotel within walking distance of everything you need. Quiet clean rooms with a nice staff. The Manager Peter was hospitable and really went out of his way to make our stay a nice one. Highly recommend...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Get a remodeled room!!

Clean, great double headed shower, pretty quiet. I would definitely stay here again. Perfect for somebody that doesn't want to pay double to stay at The Dream Inn. Minus the ocean view, this hotel is identical in decor and gratification.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at the Ocean Pacific Lodge March 15-16. We brought our small dog. She got a lovely little gift basket with a dish bowel, adorable towels with paw prints and a treat! We loved that.

That was about it. The beds were really hard and lumpy. Very uncomfortable to sleep on. The noise comes right in from the street and into the rooms. The doors do not reach all the way down to the ground, so there's a few inches for noise and wind to breeze right in. We heard people walk by up until 3 am and starting again at 7 am. We couldn't sleep and our dog couldn't either. Probably won't stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Well, they checked me in to my room. So we walk to our room and the house keeper is still cleaning it so we had to wait another 10 min. Then we finally got in. Noticed in the bathroom she left a dirty pair of underwater in the shower . (Pretty disgusting I'd say) the refrigerator was dirty. Wasn't cooling properly. The coffee maker had 1 decaf 1 regular. When they had slots for about 6 . Our coffee mugs were dirty. Beds we're comfy pillows were awesome! Only good thing about this was the walkin distance to the beach! If you want a cheap quick over stay its okay I guess but wouldnt recommend ! And probably won't come back and stay here .

• Stayed March 2014
Southwest Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Found this place randomly while traveling through Santa Cruz. The price was great compared to other hotel/motels in the area (it was a weeknight and I do believe the price increases on the weekend). The room was very clean, shower pressure great, bed comfortable, and the internet was fast. I also loved the Keurig in the room for morning coffee!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Pacific Lodge? Share your experiences!