“Just ok...nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 51 hotels in Santa Cruz
Cambria, California
“Just ok...nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay last minute and chose this hotel based off previous reviews we read. The only room left was the King Suite with Jacuzzi tub. The room was clean but very old and needs maintenance. The jacuzzi was falling apart and the wallpaper was pealing everywhere. The pillows were so hard I couldn't sleep because I got such a bad headache from them. Literally rocks. Thr air condiotioner blew down and was old a rickedy. Took forever to cool off. The location is good and it clean. But def needs a touch up. Especially for being the King Suite.

• Stayed June 2013

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

$159 got us a modern 2 king suite which was really well set up with a separate bedroom for the second couple and a second basin/dressing area for the girls to get ready in while someone else is in the bathroom PLUS a pool and spa PLUS great personal service and dinner recommendations from reception PLUS a free breakfast! Oh and it was only a five minute walk down to the pier & boardwalk. We are two couples who have been travelling around the USA for a month and I think this is the best value place we've struck so far!

• Stayed May 2013
New York City area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We arrived in Santa Cruz April 25th and drove through, looking at online comments and such and landed at this place. The price was right, and were not expecting much from the room..but were totally surprised that it was bright, modern, clean, comfy beds, looked like recently remodeled..dual shower heads, keurig coffee in the room, better than usual bath products. Had to be the best place we stayed all week. We only had one night, but were really really pleased with it. The jacuzzis were working and hot..the pool was refreshing as well.

Nothing bad to say at all about this place! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Park City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

When checking in the hotel staff were extremely friendly, quick, and accommodating. The room was remodeled, very nice and fit what we were looking for - they even accommodate pets! After enjoying night one (great location) I checked availability for night two and the gentleman on the phone told me "no problem" and they were going to charge the credit card on file and we could stay in the same room. Great! We headed to the beach for the day and on return our key did not work. Hands full, my boyfriend ran to the front desk to get a new key. After waiting about 20 minutes he returned with all of our luggage and belongings on a cart. Apparently they were not aware we had extended our stay with the front desk agent that morning. Luckily they were able to accommodate, however it was frustrating trying to find all of our belongings that had been mixed, repacked, and all our toiletries thrown out. Not a deal breaker, but seems communication on their end could use some work.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were delighted with our one night in this hotel. It's within easy walking distance of the wharf and beach. Considering the price we paid we were surprised by the amenities in the room like dual shower heads, Keurig coffee machine and large wall-mounted flat screen TV. The staff was accomodating and the room immaculate. We weren't able to stay for breakfast, so unable to comment on that.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the bottom floor and there was some noise from the room above (weight lifting...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Half Moon Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Pacific for a quick getaway weekend. Loved the proximity to the boardwalk, very friendly & helpful staff. The room was large and clean. The grounds as a whole were well kept and easy to move around. I like the neighborhood better than many of the other hotels. Obviously the Dream Inn is an amazing hotel but it was out of our budget. This hotel was very affordable and a great choice whether passing through while traveling or vacationing with the family. Clean pool that looked super fun for kids...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at this location once before, and it was satisfactory.
Affordable and walking distance to the famous Santa Cruz beach area.
Location, location, location. 3rd floor Jacuzzi room.
Thought we might repeat.
Booked reservations two months in advance for this weekend. When I called to confirm everything last night, I was told by a young, seemingly clueless worker with attitude, that my reservations were cancelled. I never cancelled them. After some discussion, she said she would "re-instate" them. She sounded incompetent. So....
So I called back 24 hours later and got the owner and manager on the phone. I asked if my reservation was still intact. He replied it was cancelled. I recounted the previous night's discussion with his employee. He said he could not honor my original reservation. What a trip! Heated and nervous, abusive and completely non conciliatory, he became. He even "invited" me to drive the 90 minutes from San Francisco to his dive joint so he could refuse me service.
The property, I give two stars. Dive with good location.
The owner and staff, a negative 10 stars now. The first time all went fine. This time, both the owner, on 4/11/13, and the clueless desk person on 4/10/13, were insulting and clearly, they, or their computer cancelled the reservation because I booked it months in advance at a lower rate than they can get from others booking recently.
No emails were ever sent to me about the booking, or cancellation, though I provided my email address.
I would not book at this location now, as I think they are in "trouble", as indicated by what I just shared. They just need money now? Bad attitudes by both owner and staff, incompetence and I suggest, maybe a little corruption too?

Sincerely.....

Room Tip: Get it all in writing before hand.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Pacific Lodge? Share your experiences!