“Good Value, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Pacific Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Orange, CA
“Good Value, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

I liked the place. It is clean and in a great location and the price was good. I paid $84 and they had exactly the room I ordered on Expedia. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the beach and the boardwalk. The only negative was the noisy in-room refrigerator. I will stay there again.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — The room a little noisy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

My daughter and I have just returned from a two night stay at Ocean Pacific lodge in Santa Cruz. We had a room with 2 queens, and paid $71. The motel is a small 3 story lodge with exterior corridors. First, the place was CLEAN, which is important in a town like Santa Cruz, which does have substandard motels. The carpet passed the "white sock test". The bedspreads, although flowered polyester, were new, and I didn't mind sitting on them...(usually I get them far, far away from me!) The toilet was loud, and usually took 3 flushes to do the job. The amenites were shampoo, conditioner, 2 kinds of soap, lotion, little sewing kit, makeup remover towelette. There was a nice little fridge, coffeemaker, and microwave. The pool looked nice, and although I sunned myself by it, I didn't go in. There was a basic continenal breakfast in a room ajacent to the pool which got us going in the morning. We arrived after a long drive, at 2pm, and they would not let us check in until 3. Front desk management was not particularly friendly. I had requested an upper floor, as we were 2 women travelling, and they said I would have to be on the ground floor (pet room) for the first night, then move the second night. I wasn't happy, but said okay. My daughter and I then walked to the Farmer's Market to kill an hour before check in time. The location of this lodge is really good. We walked everywhere-- to the wharf to see the sea lions, to the Boardwalk (closed) and to the shopping area on Pacific Ave. My daughter was taking a tour of UCSC and visiting friends who are current students. She could walk to the Metro Station (10 min.), get on a bus up to campus, then take the UCSC shuttle wherever she wanted to go. She said the buses were fast, sometimes standing room only, but efficient ($1.50, no transfers, free for UCSC students). She was confident she could get around without a car. I was left alone for much of the day, and walked all over. Santa Cruz has great local bookstores and casual dining-- and yes, a lot of homeless folks, but in 3 days I was never asked for money. I felt comfortable walking in the area in daylight.
We returned to check in at 3, and found that we were given an upper floor room for both nights, without moving. Yes, the pool gate made a big clang noise! I would happily return to this lodge, but realize I will not get a good rate on weekends or summer. When I looked into reserving for move-in weekend or for summer orientation, the rates were double. Too bad! I would feel comfortable sending my daughter up to Santa Cruz on the Greyhound bus and having her walk from the metro station to this lodge. A nice place.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — Price Hike on weekends and summer, absolutely no early check in
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We just spent a long weekend here and have no complaints. We paid $80, what a bargain. We had a king size room on the second floor, it was big and clean with a very comfortable bed. The area was quiet and yet it was a short walk to the beach and the town centre. Our friends stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and theirs was also very comfortable and clean. To have breakfast included made it more of a bargain, ok, it's basic, but it's enough to start the day. We would definitely come back again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

excellent location and value. Well kept grounds and rooms' Swimming pool protected and clean. Service crew pleasant and helpfull

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Spent Thanksgiving nite here, reserved 2 rooms and arrived a bit early ~ let us check in an hour early. I was concerned about a pet friendly room, but it was great, he also updated one room from one king to two doubles so that was nice too. The breakfast isn't anything to brag about but the price and the stay was great. The bathroom was roomy and we asked for more towels at the office. My duaghters used the hottub. When my dog woke me up at midnite to go outside, I heard the harbor seals!! Our room faced the street which I was a little concerned about, but no problem. For Santa Cruz hotels I will return to this one!! Clean and the price was great!

• Liked — If no one else stole your parking space, you could park right outside your room
  • Disliked — room faced the street,
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lawrenceville, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2007

This hotel was perfect for a short stop on a drive down the coast. It was very reasonable, I'd put it nearing the cost of a Motel 6. If you compare it to Motel 6 you will be very satisfied. We were. It was simple with a simple basic breakfast. Basically the breakfast I would had at home! Toast, cereal, juice. My husband had a frozen waffle. Did the trick and was the cheapest night we had the whole trip. It was in easy walking distance of both the wharf and boardwalk and the downtown shopping area. Santa Cruz downtown is a wonderful freak show at night! We loved it!

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — The parking spaces were very tight.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

We stayed for two nights at the Ocean Pacific Inn the last weekend of October. We had booked two rooms, and when we checked in, much to our delight, one of the rooms was upgraded to a suite at no extra charge. So yes, it's not the fanciest hotel we've ever stayed in. So yes, breakfast is a bit limited. But good heavens, we paid $80 per room per night! How can you beat that? The rooms were clean and large, though a bid threadbare in spots. But again, we paid $80 per room per night! We were within walking distance of the pier and were very happy with everything. There were decent sized refrigerators and microwaves int he rooms, and the closets and dressers were plenty large. The beds were comfortable. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — It's not the Ritz Carlton
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ocean Pacific Lodge? Share your experiences!