“Great experience!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011 via mobile

I read some bad reviews on this place and I'm so glad I didn't let them sway my decision to say here.

We stayed here Friday-Sunday and got a regular room with a queen bed. We were pleasantly surprised by the clean and nice carpets as well as all the other things that the hotel room came with, microwave, fridge with separate freezer. TV was nice too. I was shocked there was an iron in the room and that we didn't have to get it from the front desk. haha!

The boardwalk is within walking distance. I loved it!! We will definitely go back there next time we're in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Pismo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We were there midweek and got a great price directly from the hotel (almost a steal) on our room for 3 nights. The location is perfect, a short walk to both the boardwalk and downtown Santa Cruz. Either walk can be accomplished in sandals. We felt totally comfortable walking even at night though there can be some shady looking characters. There is also a turf soccer field right there, so bring a ball if you like to play on a nice turf field. The pool and hot tubs were fine, complimentary continental breakfast simple but okay for what we paid. OJ, cranberry juice, waffles, cereals, fruit, tea coffee and milk.
The hotel is pet friendly but just on the 1st floor. We stayed on the 2nd and were fine walking barefoot on the carpet, no problems. Little things like peeling wallpaper at the edges or a broken shower title might have bugged me if I was paying more, but at such a great price I actually expect minor imperfections. Beds were comfy.
There was some construction of a new roundabout out front, so the noise level in the morning was higher than we wanted, and the walls are pretty thin so on a weekend it might be a bit tougher to sleep. Earplugs and 3rd floor rooms for light sleepers might be wise.
Wifi reception was excellent, had 3 laptops working perfectly in our room. Staff was very nice. Room had mini fridge, closet, okay tv, could have had better coffee (Maxwell House).
I love saving money on a hotel, so will definitely check here first next time visiting Santa Cruz, which we really enjoyed.

Room Tip: Went through hotel's website for low $
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gilroy, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We took the family for a weekend getaway and stayed here. The rooms were clean and the bed felt great to sleep in. The price was competative and we had no issues to complain about.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised by this place. We paid a rate that was about as low as I have ever paid for a hotel room and expected a motel to match. It's not that there was anything particularly impressive about this place, but that it really had nothing wrong with it despite the low rate. Perhaps January in Santa Cruz is just a tough time the hotels there?

The hotel has a complimentary breakfast starting at 7am in a very nice breakfast room. It must have been renovated/refreshed because it looked far newer than the rest of the property. Made our early morning departure a lot easier!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Don't go here for the holidays. The website says $159 for the King Jacuzzi suite, upon calling and giving my credit card number for reservation.

the lady at the desk says "that'll be $169."

I respond, "the website says $159, why am i being charge and extra $10?"

She says,"well that's if you do it on the website."

So i respond, "so are you saying i should hang up and save me $10 because i'm looking at the website right now."

she says "you could…."

remembering i just gave this woman my card number i just sacrifice $10

Getting there right at check in time, figuring i better arrive early and get my money's worth. Two guys are at the front desk dressed like homeboys they tell me I have to pay up front before i get my key. I felt like this is unusual I usually pay upon check out. but no I get charge 169 on the spot.

I take my ton of bags up to the third floor: door is open, bottles and trash, un-made bed. leaving my girlfriend up there with all the bags i go back to the front desk.

i tell him what is up there and he says, "Oh there is no other rooms ready so you can just WAIT for the maid to come by." I say, "all my bags are already up there." he says, "you can put them in the closet."

I get back up there and after feeling grossed out, realized the room stinks of cigarette smoke, which sucks because i wanted a non smoking room and my girlfriend is a cancer survivor.

finally after going back down there he gives me another room that was ready the whole time.

I will never recommend this hotel who likes to give people the run-around.

oh and the hot tub turned on but didn't shut off for hours the timer wasn't working and only goes up to 30 mins.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Kerrville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

We picked this place mainly because it was close to where we needed to be. But, for $59 on a Thursday, we were pleasantly surprised that it included everything we needed. It came with free wireless internet, clean comfortable room, small frig, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & ironing board, etc. and wonderful continental breakfast (make-your-own-Belgium Waffles, etc.), fresh OJ, pool & hot tub, etc. It's amazing, we can usually find something wrong with the rooms we have stayed in, but not this time. It was truly a pleasure. Stayed two nights. Friday night was $69 plus tax. What a bargain. Walked 2 blocks to the Warf.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

This hotel met all my expectations for a 2 star hotel and more. An easy walk into downtown or to the pier/boardwalk area. Stayed on 2nd floor and did not hear outside noise. Plumbing in building rattles some. Very adequate continental breakfast! Room was spacious, clean and with lots of toiletries. A very good value for the money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Ocean Pacific Lodge? Share your experiences!