“Good family vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   175 W. Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly Coast Santa Cruz Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 51 hotels in Santa Cruz
Gilroy, CA
“Good family vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

13 of my family members just returned from 3 nights at the Dream Inn. It was mostly a good experience. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, efficient and helpful. Valet Matthew was terrific...(give that guy a raise). I'd give 4 out of 5 stars for service. I'd give 2 stars for the price. We paid a 5 star price for a 3 star room (room reminded me of a Fairfield Inn or a Hilton Garden Inn type of room). I guess you pay for the ocean view. Room was updated and clean. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to bring your ear plugs. The noise wasn't bad, but I'm a light sleeper so the sound of the seals, waves, people on the beach woke me up. On the weekdays during our stay, there was a summer camp going on all day on the beach right outside the hotel balconies. Not a bad thing, but lots (100 or so) of kids playing games all day. Pool was nice, but gets crowded when the sun comes out. Again, the staff at the pool were great. Pool food was decent, but may I suggest that the hotel invest in a gas BBQ. Each day when the cook light the charcoal for his BBQ, our rooms would fill up with toxic fumes. The pool reminded me of being on a cruise ship. Some folks would go "save" their lounge chairs at 8:00 am by putting their towels on them, and then not show up until 2:00. So for 6 hours, the lounge chairs sat empty when chairs were in short supply. Lots of people with kids, loud music playing, bar and "snack" bar. I'm not complaining, because we were there with kids, but not a quiet spot for a quiet, romantic get-away. I'm sure the hotel is much quieter during the off-season. Location was perfect for the kids...walk to the Boardwalk, Wharf restaurants, downtown Santa Cruz. A great walking/bike path along the coast starts right outside the hotel doors. We took a bike ride all the way to Wilder Ranch State Park and it was a beautiful ride. Check-out gets busy and the valet told us that the hotel only has 4 luggage carts so no one is allowed to bring one up to their room to load up their stuff. You must wait for a valet to do that for you, and with only 4 carts, it took about 20 minutes for someone to show up with a cart. Another suggestion...invest in some more luggage carts so folks can check out on their own. Overall, it was a fun (albeit expensive) place to have our family weekend and we'd return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and feedback. I am happy to hear that our staff did an outstanding job, we really strive to bring the Joie de Vivre spirit to each guest's stay. Its so great that you and your family were able to take in so much during your trip, the beach, biking, the pool, downtown; there really is so much to do here in Santa Cruz. I am sorry however that there were a few downsides, that of the noises, the BBQ smells, and the "saving" of seats by the pool. I hope that by your next trip we are able to wow on every level. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had our wedding at The Dream Inn -- it was the absolute perfect place for our special day. Aurora Smith and her staff were superb - extremely professional and made all the arrangements a breeze. Aurora gave us excellent referrals for our photographer (Terry Way Photography); flowers (Sweeley Design); and makeup (Shawn Calvin). The views of the ocean, were breathtaking and the views of the wharf and boardwalk were spectacular in the evening when everything is lit up. The food was exceptional as was the wine selection. We received many compliments from our guests, so much so that we plan to have our 10th wedding anniversary party at The Dream Inn! We loved the bridal suite - every room at the inn has an ocean view -- so wonderful. We give a standing ovation to The Dream Inn!

• Stayed July 2013
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Congratulations! Thank you for the standing ovation! We are so excited your celebration was a hit and we look forward to many years of memories to come.
Stuart, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Loved this place, great room with a great view. I like to sleep with the windows open, we had a private balcony overlooking the beach and wharf... I can still hear the waves... and I am missing it... Bed was wonderful, large room... everything was perfect.

Room Tip: Room 125 is great, but probably all the rooms in this wing are wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star review! I am so excited to see that you had a fantastic time. There is nothing like falling asleep to the rush of waves and the sounds of the seals. We look forward to recreating that rejuvenating vacation for years to come.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The welcome from Matthew the bellhop is the best we have ever had on our trip down the West coast .
The Hotel needs some TLC it looks and feels very tired in places . I would say it is a three star hotel .The rooms are clean but the decor is faded although very quirky which I like .
Parking is not cheap and there can be a delay when you want your car as the valets collect even if you self park.
The views are spectacular and this saves the day ! The location is what makes this place .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your warm response! I am glad to see that you enjoyed your Santa Cruz adventure and our quirky style. We do our best to share that individuality with each of our guests to create an awesome vacation. We look forward to seeing you for your next adventure!
Fresno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I really like to give most hotels the benefit of the doubt, because they really try generally please so many different kinds of people that it's impossible for them to think of everything. But this place was AWFUL, and I mean like really, really bad. My boyfriend and I went there for our 1st anniversary and this is the summation of our experience:

-bellboys had serious attitude, refused to load our car, and refused to leave the cart in the bedroom. They are obnoxious and frankly don't give a crap about you.
-the food at the restaurant, Aquarius, was terrible. We ordered steak that tasted like burnt carcass. And the food is quite expensive!
-there were ANTS in the bedroom. Several of our neighbors had to be relocated to other rooms. Beware if you are staying with your family and children!!!!
-There is NO private beach. The beach is public. There was a junior lifeguard camp going on during our stay, nixing any romantic sojourns onto the balcony (a slab of dirty concrete).
-The spa had a huge amount of sand and dirt floating in it. It looked like a dirty pond, one you would not want to step your toe in.
-The front desk lady who checked us in laughed (laughed!!!!!!!!!!!) in our face when we arrived at 2pm and asked be checked in...since they told us 2pm was the checkin time. Not so much.

Seriously, there are tons of other hotels in this area that are cheaper and have much, much better accommodations and staff. Don't throw away your money on this place!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. I am sincerely sorry that the experience you had while staying here was so disappointing. Our intentions are to bring about a wonderful memory and adventure when visiting and we certainly fell short, from the first impression to the fond farewell, we did not create the fun getaway that you deserved. I know we can do better, I hope you will give us another opportunity to WOW you.
Warmest regards,
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

3rd year annual summer girls' weekend getaway. Each year consistently meets our expectations-courteous staff, comfortable rooms, gorgeous views. The staff has always been very accommodating and for a hotel so large, they were quick to respond to our needs whenever called upon. The pool staff are fabulous and work incredibly hard to make sure you have whatever you need poolside. We were sitting out as the sun started to set and one nice guy offered to bring the heater, and did, which was so thoughtful! The rooms are retro but nice; all ocean views with balconies. My bed and pillows were better than home and so was the shower. Located right next to the boardwalk and pier and a short walk to downtown. Restaurant has lovely views as well, and a nice menu-food was better than any other place we ate. The Dream Inn is really the best stay in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. Tower has higher floors for better views. Rooms on ground have direct poo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the amazing review. I am so excited that you all had a fabulous time! Ahhhh, there aren't many things better than spending quality time with the best of friends by the beach. We look forward to next year!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family was not happy with me for this booking. Much more like a motel than a hotel. May be the best in the area, but not great. It was okay, clean. But noise from hall, outdated furnishing made it our least favorite hotel on vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write feedback about your stay. It is never our intention to provide you with an experience that did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate you sharing the areas that were less than impressive, that of our decor and noise. I am sorry that we fell short in providing you with a stellar vacation getaway. I hope that you will give us another try, as I know we can do better.

Been to Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!