“Really Liked This Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   175 W. Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly Coast Santa Cruz Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Exploration Vacation
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maryland
“Really Liked This Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Dream while touring the SF bay area. I really like the vibe of this place. It is a 60's modern hotel, but the renovations were done perfectly. The designers/decorators were able to fully update the facilities, but keep a 60's SoCal/Surfer feel that is very inviting and relaxing. The rooms and baths look brand-new, but at the same time, feel very casual and well done. The first thing I did on arrival was to pop the iPod in the in-room player and put on a Beach Boys album!

The pool and deck look brand new. Good pool furniture layout including sofa and chair groupings. The hotel may be one of the few in Santa Cruz with direct access to the beach. Free in-room WiFi. The hotel is right next to the pier which has a lot of good restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel was also very good. We had one breakfast and a dinner there and enjoyed it both times.

A NOTE TO SMOKERS: The City of Santa Cruz apparently hates you and does not want you there. I was told it is one of the few cities in the world that has actually banned all outdoor smoking in the downtown area. You cannot walk down the street with a lit cig. Just a heads up. While I loved the Dream Inn, I will not be returning to Santa Cruz, CA.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your awesome 5 Star review! I am so sorry to see you wont return to SC! I am happy to hear that you loved your stay with us and that you had a great time with our updated yet backdated look. It does make you want to play surf music from the 60's. I hope that your love of the Dream Inn will prevail and we will see again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Winters, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of all I want to say the staff, the girls at the front desk, and anyone we dealt with were fabulous. We booked a Queen Ste with a view for my granddaughters 21st birthday a month in advance. When we walked into the room 111 we were so disappointed. Our view was of the back of the pool bar:( I called the front desk and asked to be moved. They did not have any upgrades, which we would be happy to pay for, but they did have a reg Queen room with a much better view. We did scale down. We just hated the view of Queen ste. As far as both rooms go I do feel the rooms were dated, certainly not 4-5 star. The view is. We had trouble with the heat and air, the refrigerator in the room is for snacks, not cold for drinks or left overs. However, they would bring you a better frig. They have limited supply of those on hand. The rooms have a very nice balcony and we did enjoy sitting out in the evening. Like I said the view 4-5 star the room 3 star, the staff 6 star!! Also we ate at the onsite restaurant, breakfast only, the waitress was very nice and are food very good

Room Tip: Dont book room 111 if you want a view. Its a view of the back of the Pool Bar horrible. I would bo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I do hope the remainder of the 21st birthday celebration was fantastic! I am sorry that the initial room was not what you had hoped for but I am happy to hear you were pleased with the move. Thank you as well for sharing where we could make some improvements, that of our fridges and A/C-Heating. I am so glad that our staff exhibited 6 Star service! We look forward to many more birthday vacation celebrations!
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of four and were visiting fri-sun therefore we were stuck paying a premium. It was very cool to be so close to the Wharf & Boardwalk for our kids. The pool was very family friendly and they kept the temp up so you can enjoy a night swim without freezing. The food at the restaurant was great for breakfast, where you pay more because of the view. The staff was very pleasant, especially the hard working Valet/bellmen! Overall, a great spot for our family. We could see ourselves returning in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
I am so glad you had an awesome trip! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Santa Cruz really does have a little bit of everything and being so close to it all your trip is guaranteed to be packed full of fun. We look forward to your next getaway.
Burlingame, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Let me begin by saying, the Dream Inn is a fabulous property with all of the amenities including attentive service! As we were planning our wedding, we did a lot of research and looked at Carmel, Monterey and Half Moon Bay venues. When we met with Aurora Smith, Sales & Catering Manager & Wedding Coordinator, we knew that we had found our perfect spot! With the Santa Cruz Boardwalk on one side and the beach on the back side of the hotel, we couldn't have been happier with the location. Aurora met us with a smile from the first meeting all the way through our wedding day. She was very detail oriented and was very throrough in communicating with us throughout the year of our planning. We made several trips to the Dream Inn and stayed the night as often as we could. Aurora and the hotel staff made us feel special & welcome each and every visit. We enjoyed breakfast and lunches at the Aquarius and they have delicious specialty drinks! The nights we stayed at the hotel, Aurora and the team recognized us and always had a special welcome for us in our room. With all of the rooms facing the water, there isn't a bad view anywhere! We made sure that we took time to enjoy the pool deck and hot tub and the pool side service was always spot on. All of the details to our wedding we met by Aurora and her team. We worked with the preferred vendors for our DJ service, flowers and cake. No regrets! We arrived on the Wednesday prior to our Saturday wedding with our family and friends and of course everyone was prepared for our arrival. We were fortunate to stay in the Dream Suite, it was PERFECT for our long stay and wedding festivities. My hair & make-up artists took care of us in our suite and we awoke to breakfast in the room and later lunch was sent up as we continued to get ready for the wedding. Aurora checked in several times throughout the day making sure that I/we had everything we needed and came up with last minute items for the ceremony & reception. She managed a mishap on the beach without falter and made sure that we were not stressing at any point. Aurora was the one who sent me on my way down the aisle and she couldn't have done anything more for us on our special day! The Dream Inn has a phenomenal team at the Front Desk, Valet Service and the catering team. We have since visited and spent the night at the Dream Inn since our wedding on May 4, 2013 and we are continually met with the same welcoming service and smiles throughout the property. We truly found a gem when we met Aurora and we thank her from the bottoms of our hearts for helping make our wedding day so special and as stress-free as possible! We had an enjoyable time at our reception & dance and still are being told by friends and family how much fun they had at our wedding and that it was the most fun wedding they have attended. While we think some of it has to do with us and the guests in attendance, we know that a lot of it is due to the perfect venue on the beach with the most attentive and caring staff you could ask for! We will continue to return to the Dream Inn to enjoy more special memories in Santa Cruz! Cheers and thanks to all of the staff at the Dream Inn for taking such great care of us! Angela & Tony Van Ginekl

Room Tip: If you can stay in one of the suites, it's well worth it! But, there isn't a bad room to be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CONGRATULATIONS! I think the staff had as much fun with assisting in all the wedding festivities as everyone going to the wedding! Thank you for mentioning Aurora and her team, as well as, the entire hotel staff, they really do an incredible job and it was a pleasure to make your special occasion perfect. We look forward to all of your future visits and celebrations!
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great hotel. Comfortable rooms that all face the ocean at one of the best locations in Santa Cruz. This is one of those places where the value is in the whole property that comes with the room. Big hot tub and pool area right on the beach with easy access to the ocean. I would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad to see you had a fantastic 5 Star stay! I cant say I disagree, I love being so close to everything and every time I turn around the beach and ocean views are staring back at me. We look forward to your future stays and many more summers of fun.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

In SC, this is definitely the best place to stay for something luxurious. If you've actually traveled and visited other countries or big cities than you'll know this place IS NOT worth its cost. Views aside, this cannot be called a 4 star property. It is however a very good 3 star property with a high cost.

Rooms in the tower are newer, but are still very low quality compared to JDV's other properties like Hotel Vitale. Sheets, towels, mats, carpet - low thread count. Poor quality. Doesn't feel good on your skin. It definitely gets the job done, but its not what you expect for the price you pay. Bed is decent, but its not a heavenly bed. However, views from the 7th floor up are great. You can hear the ocean, see the Friday night music festival at the boardwalk (and hear!) and generally people watch while sipping a mimosa. Views are spectacular and the only redeeming point of the hotel.

Room Service/Aquarius: I never ate at the restaurant because I have little patience and all the reviews said service was horrible. However room service (from the same place) was always quick and the food was hot. Was it amazing? No,but I ordered pupus and drinks. You can't mess those up so I'd say opt for room service and have your meals...

On the boardwalk. Literally 5 minutes from the hotel is a GREAT, easy, fast place to grab a bite. The Picnic Basket has really good food. Great service and its SOOOOO much cheaper. TRUST ME. Don't eat at Aquarius, but if you're really hungry at 11pm, know that room service is definitely an option. Just remember the fees they add on to your bill can add up!

Pool is heated. Super plus. Hot tub is warm, not too hot. The pool gets crowded immediately. People camp out on chairs. What do you do? Go early or go late. Most families go right in the middle of the day. Sure you'll miss out on the pool bar, but its fine. Your hotel is right on the beach. Just take the beach access stairs and lay out in the sand. Bring your own drinks from the corner store. LOL. Pool opens at 7am and doesn't even have a soul in it until at least 9am. It's heated so just go early. Swim all by yourself. Or go after 6pm and while you'll still have teenagers, it wont be nearly as crowded.

Massage service offered by the pool or in your room. Skip it. Masseuse is not experienced enough. SC has too many other options for spa services downtown to pay for this expensive and lower quality massage.

Speaking of which, GETTING TO DOWNTOWN IS A BREEZE.

1. You can walk if you like. Takes about 20 min., regular pace. Don't do this past 7pm though. The route to downtown goes past a popular drug spot.

2. Take the 25 CENT trolley. Yes, 25 cents, per person, per way. Just walk right down the street and there is a stop in the median right before you hit the loud, reggae bar heading towards the boardwalk.This is a slow, but fun, scenic way to get to downtown.

I was here for the 4th of July weekend and it was crowded, but lots of fun. I definitely think Dream Inn is a good property. I liked the staff (parking is a bit of a pain, especially if you valet - wait can be a bit and price is $$) and I liked the location. I loved the view and I enjoyed room service. This place is probably the best option in SC if you want a beach front property, but its not luxury by any standard.

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask for a room above the 7th floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us feedback about your stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Thank you for sharing with us the areas where we can make improvements, such as the bedding, dining, and amenities. We want everyone to enjoy the feel of Santa Cruz and I am glad to see that you did have a wonderful trip, the trolley, the beach access, and the best time to enjoy the pool all to yourself. I hope you will continue to visit us as we look forward to wowing you in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you're going to take a trip to Santa Cruz, you might as stay right on the beach. The Dream Inn fit the bill without being crazy expensive. The hotel is right on the beach; you can walk down the stairs from the pool to the sand. And the nice part is it's south of the wharf, which means it was much less crowded then the part right in front of the boardwalk. But if you want to be in that, it's a 5 minute walk. Speaking of walk, the location was great in terms of being able to walk to the boardwalk and downtown (10-15 mins). Downtown has plenty of restaurants, stores, and bars, which is a nice change of pace from the tourist traps along the wharf & boardwalk.

As for the room, it was quite spacious. All of them have ocean views, and we had a private balcony. It had a modern, colorful, beachy feel to it with high ceilings. The bathroom wasn't huge, but that's not a problem for us. I would, however, follow the suggestion of another reviewer and make sure you get a room above the first floor, as the noise from the pool is significant (and the pool stays open until 11pm). There were plenty of families there, and even a wedding right on the beach.

Bottom line: I'd definitely stay here again, as long as I got the room for under $200.

Room Tip: Rooms by the first floor will be noisy due to the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your stellar review! I am so glad to hear you had an amazing stay. I quite agree with you about our 'Nice spot right on the beach"! Its great that you were able to experience so much of Santa Cruz, the crowds (or not), the tourist spots (or local favorites), the shopping and dining of downtown or enjoying the quiet ocean view from your balcony. Thank you for sharing your trip, we look forward to your next visit!

Been to Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!