“Can't get much better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   175 W. Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly Coast Santa Cruz Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Can't get much better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Superb staff. Goes out of their way to make you comfortable. A truly wonderful location ... right on the beach, fall asleep and wake up to ocean waves. Just can't beat it. Walk along the beach sunrise or sunset. Sales staff worked extra hard to be sure our group of 13 were accommodated and comfortable. Went the extra distance to be sure maps for the campus where the meeting was to be held was available for each traveler. Staff is kind, courteous, and efficient. This staff is a perfect example of how customer service should be ... you care about the customer's decision to stay with you.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean .... don't like the ocean, don't stay here :-)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We certainly hope to provide the same level of exceptional service on your next stay. Until then, enjoy the memories of the ocean views!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A wonderful location for a hotel in Santa Cruz. Close to downtown and right by the wharf with a great view. Can't beat the view. The sound of the waves provides a great white noise for a comfortable sleep. Rooms are nice and efficient. They seem to have what you need in a hotel room. Service is great and hotel restaurant is a very nice plus.

Room Tip: Have a cup of coffee in the morning in the room balcony and enjoy the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
I wanted to thank you for your recent 5 star review! I myself can't seem to start the day without a cup of coffee, and there is no better way than watching the sunrise over the Monterey Bay, cup in hand! We hope to have you back again soon to provide the same level of exceptional service. Thank you again!
Malibu, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have no reason not to give this property an excellent review except I liked the property next door better...hence a very good rating.
Rooms are modern and stylish. View and location is outstanding. Sounds of surf to lull you to sleep. Service is professional.
If you can't stay next door...Stay here and you won't be disappointed.
Easy walk to downtown. 15 min walk to steamer. Well above average but not excited about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sean H, Guest Relations Manager at Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback. Certainly the Sea and Sand located next to us is a fine hotel, and we look forward to working with our neighbors to accomadate you (if they can not) on your next trip to Santa Cruz. Cheers!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were at the Dream Inn for three nights the end of February. Our room was very comfortable, well-designed, roomy, and the color scheme and furnishings were interesting - not cookie cutter feeling at all. The sound of the surf through the balcony door was wonderful. Beach views from every room - we were on the seventh floor and the morning gulls whirling around were a treat. The pool and hot tub were nice amenities. All in all a really pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: I imagine the rooms facing the pool and hot tub area would be rather noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review! We hope to have you with us again soon to share that rarified air. On your next stay, ask us about our Cloud Rooms which are reserved on the 8th, 9th or 10th floor-- Don't let the gulls have all the fun!
Kiama, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I travelled all the way from Australia to visit Santa Cruz. It wasn't easy to get there, as i didnt want to drive in the USA, but was well worth the visit. I'm sorry now that i didnt stay longer. The Dream Inn Hotel was an absolute delight to stay at. in all my lifetime of hotel visits, this hotel went above and beyond to make my experience in Santa Cruz a memorable one.

I had excellent and prompt communication on my lead up to departing Australia with Stephanie who is an absolute asset to the hotel, and offered great advice on local attractions - boardwalk etc.

My purpose to visit Santa Cruz was to see the boardwalk also because it's where the 1987 movie, Lost Boys was filmed, and always had a fascination to visit. The hotel is extremely close to the board walk and a nice casual walk to the light house.

I'm visiting the USA in 2014 and will come back to Santa Cruz just to stay here again, it was fantastic.

I ordered a steak from the restaurant (room service) and it was one of the best steaks i have ever had.

Cleaning staff did a top job to make up my room each day..

The only gripe i have that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth was, i was charged for parking even though i didnt drive a car. The hotel were happy to refund the parking however, i was advised that they assume that people drive there and so the charge is automatic. I would recommend mentioning this to them when you check in so you are not charged parking.

Apart from that, i will be back 2014!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
As a world traveler, we wish to give you an extra thank you for your extremely positive review! As Stephanie's manager I will pass on your kudo's and wish to thank you personally for going out of your way to mention her! We hope that we have you back soon to enjoy another stay.
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are Joie de Vivre members which we were told that you are guaranteed a up grade at no additional cost if available. Well not true. Hotel was empty and the front desk clerk was anything but helpful. Im being kind.... He must have been having a really bad day.

But, this will not stop us from coming back again and again. We have stayed hear several times and we love it. The pool is unbeatable and rooms are comfy and super cool. The view is a added plus.

We have also dinned in the restaurant and have ordered room service. They are both not your standard hotel food. Everything we have eaten has been amazing!!!

We only live down the coast in Monterey and The Dream Inn makes us feel like we are far from home and we can't wait to visit again. We're just gonna stay away from that one front desk clerk!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. While we never aim to disappoint, I am sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations on your recent stay. You are absolutely correct that being a Joy of Life member comes with a complimentary upgrade based on availability. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss the issues you experienced if you are comfortable with doing so, as I am hopeful to make a personal apology for the shortfalls you experienced. Warm Regards, Sean Hadley Front Office Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Dream Inn is a great location for a weekend getaway for California locals. I would imagine that it's a good choice for out-of-towners looking for an ocean-front experience in Santa Cruz.
I was looking for a getaway for our busy Silicon Valley lives for the President's Day Weekend but wanted something within driving distance. It was also a re-do of our anniversary trip (see my previous review on our Maui trip) which fell way below our expectations.

I chose the Dream Inn primarily because of the positive TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that there was availability.
I booked the Cloud King room on the company website which guarantees a room in the tower on the 8th, 9th or 10th floors. I also left a message on the website indicating that it was a surprise for my husband and would really appreciate getting the 8th, 9th or 10th floor that I was promised. We arrived on Friday night and were greeted by the smiling valets who immediately asked whether we needed help with our luggage. There was a bellboy waiting to take our luggage if needed. We proceeded to check-in which was a surprisingly quick and pain-free process. As everyone knows, sometimes checking in can be a 15-20 min affair depending upon the hotel.
We were rewarded with a 10th floor room and proceeded upstairs. The room was what I was hoping for in our December trip to Maui. It was clean, modern with an incredible ocean-front view. We had clear visibility across the Santa Cruz coastline which included the Boardwalk and the lighthouse to the right. It felt as though we had the best room in the house. The manager had left a note with chocolate-covered strawberries and some Proseco as a welcome and to celebrate our anniversary. The simple touches go a long way. We were quite hungry and proceeded to the in-house restaurant Aquarius. I have reviewed this establishment separately but as a part of our in-room stay, we did order breakfast room-service which was always tasty.
The housekeepers were courteous and did a great job during our 3 night stay; this incldued turn-down service.
I must note some other comments in previous reviews which referred to disappointment in their room. Let's be clear. If you opt to pay for a pool-side room, you will get a pool-side room which might yield more noise from children who mostly frequent pools. If you opt to pay for one of the lower-level rooms, you will get a lower-level room which might not have the panoramic views you may seek. If you know that you want a panoramic vista or you would like to use your binoculars to look at the sea lions or whales (when in season) or you really want that peace and quiet, opt to pay for one of higher floors. It's worth it.
The only reason, I didn't give the hotel 5 stars is that I found the bed to be a little lumpy and the pillows to be very soft. This is personal preference; my back is used to the Tempuredic that we currently sleep on and my pillows are typically firmer. I alleviated this on the 2nd night by reorganizing some of the throws and duvets that were on the bed to give me a firmer surface When we return to this hotel(which we will), I'll bring my pillows to get the experience that I would like.
Net net: Fantastic hotel and staff

Room Tip: Please pay for the 8th, 9th or 10th floor rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your extensive review! We hope to have you back to try another of our rooms with bedding options that will garner that elusive 5th star! Please let us know on your next stay if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable as we are here to serve!

Been to Dream Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!