“Mouse in the House” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Santa Clarita
Melbourne, Australia
“Mouse in the House”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We decided to go a more economic route, having read pretty good reviews on this motel.

Pluses - great price, very comfortable, evidence that they have upgraded and microwave and fridge, complimentary (if a little slow) internet

Minuses - There was a MOUSE in our room - ewwww. But the worse part that when I mentioned to the manager, he didn't even say one word about it. Just looked at me. No "sorry" or "oh my goodness" an acknowledgement would have been appreciated. You could hear the train, which is fine (Railroad road)

I said to my husband (pre mouse) we could stay here again, great price, not bad location - even with the train. Post Mouse and attitude, I probably woudn't stay again :(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in early May 2013 in that I could visit my Dad and celebrate his 81rst birthday. I avoided Lancaster-Palmdale because it has become horribly overpriced. Since I am familiar with SoCal and know this area close to "Magic Mountain" and since it is 40 minutes from my Dad's place, I decided to give it a try. Plus the recent Trip Advisor reviews were strong. It is in the middleof nowhere, the closest convenience store is the AM/PM located just before the railroad tracks and about a 7 minute drive away from the 138 Freeway exit. The hotel is located about 5 more miles away and it stands virtually by itself.

Now about my experience.......I travel late and a Southwest Airline delayed flight pushed my arrival time to early in the morning. The young man that checked me in did not immediately rush to greet me at the counter in fact, he appeared to be on some kind of delayed response regimine...it took several bell rings to get his attention. He eventually checked me in moving as if I had just woken him up. After a hiccup with the first room key, He reluctantly issued a second key and I was able to check into my room.

It is very much what people describe here, fairly clean, not well appointed, a decent bed for a motel, a little noisy (get a room far away from the street and the railroad tracks). Basic cable with a dated TV and old furnitire with chipped edges and plenty of wear. Odd colored orangish carpet....a little weird actually. The air conditioner worked wonderfully, not a small thing in Santa Clarita 90 degree weather. The refrigerator didn't work so well and had broken parts; a fact that the daytime desk clerk did not seem too enthused about either fixing or addressing in any way. This irked me because I was going to be there for two more nights. Upon checkout, there were two more front desk clerks and both of these young men were attentive and really helpful especially to my complaints over the incidents described above. Overall, two ambivalent front desk clerks and two attentive clerks...I call that a "draw."

I rate this as an "ok" stay and may return when I visit my father without my wife......this is not the kind of place I would subject my sweetie to on a vacation. It is better than most EZ-8, Motel 6 or Rodeway Inns, but that said it is a bit over priced considering the decidedly lo-fi accomodations. Still, compared to much of SoCal it is a pretty good deal on a functional hotel room for a songle, male traveler.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sparks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This motel appears to have been built when Railroad Ave. (originally San Fernando Rd.) was the highway from Newhall to San Fernando. When approaching from Lyon Ave. it looks like you are leaving town and there will not be any motel. Go in, you will be rewarded. The owner is very friendly. He makes an effort to upgrade the rooms. We had an upstairs newly renovated room. It had tile floors, 3D wall furnishings. The faucet in the sink in the bathroom glows when one turns on the water. I have never seen such a thing. There is a small refrigerator in the room. The only thing negative I can think is there is some noise from the train. I have stayed where the noise is much worse. The noise is very temporary.

Room Tip: Upstairs north side has some newly renovated rooms. They are SUPER.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Turlock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stay here whenever I want to be out of the LA basin but not go all the way home. Nicely appointed, comfortable beds, and clean. Bring earplugs if train noise bothers you. It isn't that intrusive and I've slept fine without earplugs. Friendly staff - small check-in area. Recommend for value and location. Parking is tight. If you have an oversized vehicle, you'll be asked to move it to the street if the hotel is full.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

They call this a motel but the rooms are adorable!
Very clean rooms and property. The person checking us in was pleasant and quick.
The room was decorated in a contemporary boutique hotel style. Our room was orange and brown and kind of funky.

Bathroom did not have much counter space but had an awesome shower head.

Beds were comfy too.

When the fan was not on, there was some traffic noise that could be heard from road.

For the price, this place is a total gem. I would stay here in a heartbeat again over any of the chain hotels

Try the Egg Plantation for breakfast too. They had awesome omelettes and excellent service too.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the road as possible to reduce noise from traffic
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is great, the rooms are clean and nice. The only problem is the location: the close railroad and the very noisy traffic coming from the street are not very helpful if you want to get a good night of sleep.

• Stayed February 2013
Newport Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is a small motel which I found on line and just needed on a Saturday night. It was the best deal I have ever had and the least expensive hotel I have stayed in. If you need to stay in this area this is the real deal. The bed was a great it was super clean and colorful. Wonderful breakfast at the Egg Plantation close by. No pool but didn't need one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Santa Clarita Motel? Share your experiences!