“Funky title, great food.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Vancouver, Canada
“Funky title, great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

On a recent trip to California, we stayed in Santa Clarita. On checking out what was available to eat nearby we came upon Rattler's BBQ. The reviews seemed favourable, so of went, and we are glad we did. Upon entering we discovered an open plan country style interior that was decorated quite imaginatively. All around the restaurant were cowboy boots that were individually decorated, some with cowboys scenes painted on them, others with knives and forks and still others with beads, bedazzled, buttons, flowers etc, you name it someone had decorated a boot with it. They also had cool light fixtures that looked like they were made of wagon wheels and colored bottles, everywhere you looked was something unique to look at. On to the food; we ordered a combination platter. You can choose between two or three meats and choice of sides. We ordered the Tri Tip, the Ribs and Boneless Chicken Breast with the twice baked mashed potatoes and baked beans. We only ordered one combination,and when you factor in the delicious buns that are brought to each table it was plenty between the two of us. All the meat choices were tender, flavorful and had just the right amount of bbq flavor. The service was great, the ambience was fun and a different experience that I would recommend anyone try, especially if you like bbq.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Local Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a local place that has been around for years. The food is good and consistent. The service is also good. Rattlers is part of a family of BBQ joints located in So. Cal under a variety of different names such as Stonefire and more each run (so I am told) by a different family member. The ribs are good as is the brisket. They have a great salad bar for those that would rather stay away from the meats but yet have a family of meat eaters.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pinole, California, United States
“Some of the best ribs I've tasted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

When our family drive south we always try and make a trip here. They have some of the tastiest beef ribs around. I once got a full portion and it was enough to feed me for two days...The roll they serve are the best Ive ever tasted. Everything on the menu is very good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“it's fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was surprised at how many rave reviews. Lucille's at Valencia Town Center is far better. The food was average, the prices average, the service was good, the ambience is good, the parking is great. I would not steer people away from it, but I wouldn't exactly send them there either.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good Stuff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This restaurant started in another location in the SCV. The decor at the old location was more western, the newer location has a few painted boots, but otherwise a more modern look. The salad bar, which used to be much more comprehensive, still has the basics and serves well as a meal accompaniment.

You get butter garlic rolls while you wait, which are slathered in butter, so as long as you don't mind the carb/cholesterol combo they are oh so good.

The attached picture is what I ordered, half a BBQ chicken with a small serving of tri-tip and a side of mashed potatoes. I know the picture isn't great, but that's how it arrived. Not a terribly exciting presentation, with a lot of empty plate space.

I know BBQ taste is a personal preference. That being said, I prefer a sweet BBQ sauce over more spicy versions, and Rattler's serves what I like. The chicken is what you'd expect, and the tri-tip was very tender. Slopping it up with the sweet BBQ sauce is what makes it (for me) better than your average BBQ joint.

The specials at Rattler's mean they have a meal at a great price, not like other places where it is an expensive out of the ordinary selection.

I've been here on numerous occasions and will surely return, as the food is predictably good and the specials at Rattler's have yet to disappoint.

• Visited July 2013