“Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
Austin, Texas
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at this property, when the whole area was sold. I was very thankful when I found I room here. The room was clean, granted this isn't the Hilton, but like I said very clean.
Rebecca was the lady at the front desk that checked me in and she was really sweet. She made me key two times because I lost it.
Rosella checked me out, and for being so early in the morning she had a great personality. Definitely coming back to visit my two favorite front desk ladies.
Breakfast was a little on the boring side, but its nice to have something on the way to the office.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Santa Clara
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

For the price, its a good place to stay. Most cheap places have a lot of meth heads, but not this one. Con: the windows suck (single pane) so you can hear everything going on outside. oh, and they don't give lotion, only shampoo, soap, and conditioner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Overall good stay, with some bad conditions beyond control of management. As I checked in, I looked back out over the parking lot to see a guy pull a "slim Jim" out of his pocket and proceed to try to unlock the door of an Acura parked in the lot. Lots of really scruffy people were hanging around in the parking lot. Didn't look safe enough to use the pool. Staff was courteous. Wi-Fi signal was good. I was working on the computer in the morning before my first appointment, and was distracted by pretty loud chatter (apparently in Hindi) among the staff outside on the walkway.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room for better security.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had a nice stay at the Vagabond Inn. The room was clean, cable tv w/ HBO, free strong wifi and awesome service from Rebecca and Rosella checking me in and out. I would recommend this place to anyone staying in the area who needs a quality room for the night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Updated rooms, attentive staff,
Clean and accommodating.
Easy walk to all sorts of great varied dinning choices.
Give it at try, it's my budget go to place in Santa Clara.
Not far from valley fair shopping center close to kaiser and easy commute to many tech centers.

• Stayed May 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

When I checked in, I disclosed that I had four dogs. The clerk at check-in informed me of the per-night pet charge of $20. When I asked her if it was per pet, she assured me that it was not. On my day of checkout, I was called from the front desk and informed that my charge would be $60 instead of the $40 that I had been expecting. I went in person to the desk to talk to the on-duty manager and was told that the clerk that checked us in was "new" and should not have told us what she did. Regardless of the information we were given at check-in time, we would be charged more than we were originally quoted. In addition, the clerk on duty that morning was very uncooperative and complained to me, the guest, that we should never have been put in the room we were in (it apparently was a "VIP room") and that we had more dogs than were "allowed" (apparently, only two pets are allowed per room).

While we had been planning to extend our stay an additional eight nights, the attitude of this clerk ensured that we would definitely not be doing so and would not be staying at the Vagabond Inn, at this location at least, in the future.

In addition, when we checked in, we were given a room on the 2nd floor as no 1st floor rooms were available. The clerk at check-in advised me to call the front desk the next day to inquire about moving to a 1st floor room for the remainder of our stay (my wife recently had knee surgery and the stairs are very difficult for her). When I called the next day, I was told to call back after 4:00 PM. When I called at 4:30 PM, I was told that it was too late to make any changes as the housekeeping staff had already gone home for the day.

Regarding security, the room we were in (room 203) had a non-functioning deadbolt on the door lock. While you could attempt to engage the deadbolt, it would not engage due to an alignment error with the door frame. There was a manual bolt on the door that could be thrown to provide additional security, but doing so constituted a fire hazard as there was no automatic mechanism to release that bolt.

Finally, the ice machine on the 2nd floor had some serious problems. It took well over 20 minutes to fill the provided ice bucket from that machine.

Room Tip: 2nd floor ice machine didn't work too well... go down to the 1st floor if you need ice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had a last minute booking to stay in Bay area and no hotel was available, had to book at Vagabonds without much other choice for 1 night. I read the reviews and was warned that this is not a good place to stay, but I still decided to give it a try.
The front desk staff gave me a smoking room even I requested a non-smoking in the booking. The room was smelling so bad, that after 1 night check-out, all my cloth and luggage had a horrible smell that stayed for days.
The hotel claimed big sign at the front entrance that Continental Breakfast was available, this must be a joke. Next morning I went to lobby to get something to eat. There was nothing, really, just coffee and not fresh juice... I gave up and returned to my room. This is the worst $180 per night hotel I ever paid... will never return and will warn everyone to be cautious in booking at here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDept, Owner at Vagabond Inn Santa Clara, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to first thank you for taking time out of your day to respond to our guest survey. I am very concerned about the review you wrote and, if I may, I would like to clarify the situation as best as I can. When you booked your room online you requested a non-smoking room, however, because you booked online it was explained to you that your request was simply a request and not a guarantee. When you checked in we explained to you that your non-smoking room request was, unfortunately, not available at the time as the hotel was fully booked. We then asked you if you wished to stay in the room we did have available or if you wished for us to cancel your reservation free of charge. You took the room. Our staff also explained to you, since you had booked the room for several nights, that the next day a non-smoking room would come available should you wish to switch and you said yes. The next morning you checked out and wrote this review.
As for our breakfast, we serve two kinds of fresh juice daily: orange and grape, as well as coffee. Varieties of cereal, oatmeal, toast, eggs, hot coco, tea, fresh apples, oranges and bananas and much more are also amongst the many items that we provide for our guests at our continental breakfast. We like to ensure that if you come with your family, with your friends, with your co-workers or even just by yourself that there is something there for you.
As I have already explained to you, we would be more than happy to provide a full refund. You see, we are a reputable company who holds a high standard when it comes to being just and fair with all our guests. That is why we appreciate guests like you who take the time to write these reviews, because they allow for our company and our hotels to grow and improve so we can ensure 100% satisfaction and reach our goal of providing, Great Care, Great Service, With a Smile. I have already left you two voice mails regarding this matter and am eagerly awaiting your response.
Meanwhile, please note we will always be fair and just. To be clear, we did inform you that your non-smoking room request was only a request and not a guarantee, we did offer you a room switch for the very next day when a non-smoking room came available, and we are willing to refund the full amount. Thank you for your time.

With the highest regards,
Bobby Patel
Owner and CEO

Been to Vagabond Inn Santa Clara? Share your experiences!