“I had no idea how good I had it” 5 of 5 stars

(408) 296-5982
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 365 Restaurants in Santa Clara
Virginia Beach, VA
“I had no idea how good I had it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As a small child in the early 1960s I used to walk to Stan's Donuts, crossing Homestead Road after attending catechism at St. Justin's Church on Saturday mornings. My mom would give me $2 for a dozen donuts, which I would carry the 1 mile, very carefully, all the way down Homestead Road, the change stuffed into my pocket.

I no longer live in California, but every year when I fly back to visit family, I stop in at Stan's. Last month's trip for donuts was as amazing as it is every year. I had no idea how good I had it when I could get a Stan's Donut whenever I wanted. How do they do it? Their jelly filled is like no other. Large and flaky, slightly crisp on the outside (it's a texture, mouth appeal thing--I haven't found anything close anywhere around the United States), soft and cloudlike on the inside, with just the right amount of red jelly, and copious amounts of mouth-watering powdered sugar that coats the front of your shirt with tell-tale white puffs--the way a jelly donut should. All the other donuts and bars, in all the usual classic variety, are just as memorable.

Stan's is known as a greasy spoon kind of place. One long old counter. Dreary walls. A big deep fryer, a cash register, glaze-drippy donut racks out front and a very focused donut maker in the window wielding huge wads of cream-colored dough. Need I say more? It's been the same for decades. I hope it never changes. Stan's donuts are just that good.

• Visited August 2012

Santa Clara, California, United States
“Fantastic donuts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stan's has been around forever and the inside has been preserved so it's fun to just look at. There is still a lunch counter with old fashioned signage and a glass case for the donuts. The donuts are out of this world! If you go early on the weekends, the line is out the door. Yes, it's that good!

• Visited June 2012
Henderson
“Amazing donuts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I've been going to Stan's since I was a child. Their donuts have stayed as moist and delicious as ever! For an extra treat, try to go first thing in the morning..you won't be sorry!

Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
“Best Donuts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Worth the drive for that big Glaze Donut Fix. We get them and make sure you get a dozen to cure the fix. It will do the job! You will tell everyone how good they are .Thanks Stan's Donuts for all the years and what you have done for the community.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami Beach, Florida
“Still going strong after more than 50 years - THE BEST DONUTS.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have not found a better donut in the world. Stan's are cake-y, moist, sweet, and delicious. Taste one and you will see why donuts are worth eating. They make Krispie Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts, and all of the other so-called "gourmet" donuts seem like sugared cardboard.

The shop hasn't changed much; it's just a long counter and a glass case of donuts. You will probably just order to take out.

Try to just eat one!