“Nice, decent hotel but has some staff with horrible customer service ...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central

You added Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central to your Saves list
Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2151 Laurelwood Rd., Santa Clara, CA 95054   |
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
Bay Area, CA
“Nice, decent hotel but has some staff with horrible customer service ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

My cousin had her wedding ceremony and reception at this hotel. Many of us also booked rooms for the weekend (we easily had 12+ rooms). The rating is for the customer service we (as a group collectively) received. It should really be only 1 star but I know many people will automatically skip over the review assuming I was overly harsh. If it weren't for two individuals, it would have been 5 stars of service 3.5 stars for the actual venue.

As far as the facility goes, the garden used for the ceremony and hall used for the reception were nice. The complementary breakfast was ok for the price (i.e. free) but on the second morning, a few of us decided to go and eat elsewhere off the property for some better food. Our main issues with the food was that the eggs were a bit dry and the bacon soaked in oil (it was the last of the bacon before it was refilled but on my plate, it looked like the bacon was served in a sauce of oil). I will say the food served at the wedding was delicious. The prime rib was juicy and cooked to perfection and the salmon was just perfect. Visually, the hotel appeared to be dated and could use some remodeling in the rooms but the front lobby and main banquet hall areas were modern and stylish.

I will have to say that Emily, the event coordinator who was working with us throughout the event was professional, excellent and was great to work with. She made things run smoothly even though there were many "on-the-fly" schedule changes to throughout the event.

The main problem we had was with the staff, two people in particular. The first was one of the people working at the reception desk. The bride was given a bridal suite as part of the contract for the wedding (this was a standard suite with a connecting 2nd smaller bedroom). On the day of the wedding, the mother of the bride had gone to the reception desk to reserve another room (one of their garden rooms). Once she had paid and room was reserved, it was discovered that the reception clerk had charged her for the 2nd attached bedroom (part of the bridal suite that was already included in the contract) and had given her the keys for that room. When the sister of the bride/main point of contact with the hotel had gone down to resolve this mistake (note: mistake made by the staff), the clerk had given her attitude and had even cut her off as she was trying to explain the problem. It was eventually resolved but it had clearly angered and irritated both the bride and the sister of the bride. This was totally unnecessary and could have easily been avoided had he taken the time to listen rather than interrupting the sister of the bride through her explanation of the problem. I personally did not have any issues with the front desk staff, and they were quite helpful to me but because they cleared caused the bride some anger and frustration on the day of her wedding, I can't give a positive review for them.

The second and more alarming issue we had with a staff member was a particular tall, skinny, darker skinned (can't remember his name) waiter in the banquet hall. Throughout the night, several people had noticed and indicated that this waiter wasn't very polite. I personally observed him speaking to several guests in a condescending and outright rude tone. It wasn't quite what he was saying but a lot more of how he said it. At the end of the night as guests were leaving the banquet hall area, he was observed by several people, including myself to have yelled loudly, "f... you" towards a few of the wedding guests who were also PAYING customers staying in the hotel. I did not see if the waiter was provoked in any way as I was walking the other direction but I find it UNACCEPTABLE for any staff member to speak in such a manner towards any guest of the hotel. There is no need for such language to be used at a wedding event especially by an employee still on the clock working for the venue. This is inexcusable.

Aside from these two individuals, we had a great time at the hotel but overall, I can't give a positive review.

• Stayed June 2010
Puulani, Director of Sales at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are so pleased that you had such a great time at our property and that the event was such a great success. We followed up with the staff member that you described and took appropriate action. We just want to thank you again for taking time to post this

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

The Biltmore is not worth the extra money. If you book on Orbitz they put you in the older section of the hotel. The rooms are tiny. I would compare it to a Ramada.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

Having booked thousands of meetings through out the years through out the Bay Area - NEVER have I had the extreme pleasure of saying there wasn't one thing amiss. KUDOS to the Catering staff from the Manager, Amy to Sayid the Banquet Captain, to Catalina our server to the Front Desk and up to and including the AP/AR Team there wasn't anything they wouldn't or couldn't do for us. Our Seminar was a huge success due to their compentancy. It was a stress free experience all the way....

K.R. Hansen, EA, SuperMedia LLC

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
admin31, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Kudos to you for taking the time out of your day to post this review, and we're glad your seminar went well. We're always pleased when someone takes the time out of their day to commend our staff on a job well done, and I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to them. Thank you again, and we're looking forward to your next successful meeting at the Biltmore.
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

I would really recommend this hotel, front desk extremely friendly, our room
was in the main part of the hotel, and right next to freeway exits. Nice bar and
restraunt also. You can't beat the price, and would stay again!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Overall this hotel is good but getting dated. I was upgraded to a suite which was a nice touch. Room was clean but the furnishings could use updating. Location is central but getting into the hotel from Montague is a challenge due to the traffic.

Not a bad stay but I believe that there are now currently better options in the area

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
SYVM, Manager at Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review the Biltmore Hotel & Suites. We are glad you found our hotel clean, and our suites spacious. Thank you for the note on upgrading our furnishing, I have passed on to the general manager as well. Just a note that our Executive Suites on the 8th & 9th floor have just been upgraded with flat panel LCD TVs. Please visit us again!
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I run small computer software training workshops throughout the US and have exposure to many hotels on both the east and west coasts. I needed to find a hotel that could host my west coast workshop that would have less than 15 attendees. The Biltmore Hotel & Suites is the ideal hotel for this purpose. They offer a Corporate Rate menu from catering that includes breakfasts, coffee breaks (AM and PM), and lunch for each full day of your meeting schedule. Their Corporate Rate choice includes meeting necessities for the room such as electrical, projector screen, and large notepad for capturing lecture notes. They streamline your choices for a business meeting offering you more for less money. They also offer free high speed internet so it was a breeze to keep track of my business emails from other clients who were unable to attend my meeting.

All but one of my clients were housed in the tower of the hotel. The rooms in the tower are huge. They are formatted like suites and have a wet bar, two desk areas, a roomy bathroom, and a separate livingroom area. The garden rooms are not as large, but both style rooms are immaculate. I had read in a previous review that the garden rooms are noisy, but when I asked my one client if she had noticed hearing airplanes or traffic outside and she said that she didn't notice. She has young ears and spent her life living in the countryside so if she said she didn't notice, I believe her. The beds were very comfortable (mine was a queen) and the bathtowels are plush and fluffy. This is a high quality hotel for a very very reasonable price. Especially when you think about where this hotel is located in California.

The staff is also top notch. Courteous, timely, and stealthy. What I always notice at other hotels is that when the staff are changing the food and drinks over for a coffee break or meal that they disturb my meetings coming in and out of the room. The Biltmore staff are so quiet that I never even realized they had changed over the room. When I commented to the manager how impressed I was, she let me know that they have very little turnover of staff; so their catering staff has been here for years and they are professionals. Their catering choices for meals are very diverse and the food was delicious. My clients commented to me on how good the food was.

Another attractive feature for this hotel is that it is only a 13 minute cab ride from the San Jose Airport and it is a stone's throw from the convention center in Santa Clara.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a host for a business meeting or is looking for a inexpensive hotel that feels like an expensive hotel when they are here on business. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
While "stealthy" is not a normal description of our banquet staff, you are right. We pride ourselves on the professionalism and attention to detail our banquet staff provides and are always thankful when clients take notice. We're pleased you're pleased and thank you for the kind and detailed review. We look forward to your next meeting and stay, and will pass your compliments along to our staff.
berkeley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

pros:
clean, buisness like, accomidating, great staff, great breakfast actually (chef cooks eggs for you at buffet on sunday) very comfortable simple rooms. bed was nice. all you need

++ we did the Winchester package. GREAT DEAL. 2 tickets ($52 value) 2 breakfast (which was good) wine, shuttle to the house.

con:
airplanes that fly over head are LOUD in the garden/parking lot rooms. i hear they are less loud in the main hotel. thin walls - can hear other door slam close. bring ear plugs or white noise device. i actually slept fine luckily - and the planes didn;t make noise until about 8 or 9 am.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Biltmore Hotel & Suites, Silicon Valley Central? Share your experiences!