“Nikki” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California
“Nikki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I have been trained as an "undercover' shopper in my past and so my perspective of TRUE Customer SERIVCE comes from that point of view. I know what to look for and I know when the service is NOT great.

Nikki, a front desk guest coordinator is one of the most pleasant and affirming guest representatives I have encountered within 15 years of travel.

When you have a request or a complaint, theres no "hhhrrmmmph" or frustration ...she is articulate and doesnt avoid eye contact by looking in her computer and ignoring you standing there. She understood my need for quiet and privacy and applied it to the hotel lay out and room configuration. She listened.

Empathic and kind--she made the stay at this hotel a secure one...one where I knew that I'd be taken care of if I needed to be.

The Manager is very nice and accomodating, His name is Adam..and when you can get though to him, ( the phones are always ringing with no answer--sometimes theres only one person at the desk for everything) --he does help you out. Because theres only one person at times, this highlights the grace and professionalism that Nikki displays in times of stress.

Room Tip: Work with Nikki . Housekeeping needs some help--you have to ask for "more" towels, coffee...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you Linda for this fantastic review. We were all so glad we could have you stay with us for as long as you did. It is always great to hear when one of our guests really enjoy there stay. As you mentioned Nikki we are lucky to have her and her guest relation skills here at the Avatar. We all hope to see you again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The hotel was fine as a place to stay, the room was reasonably comfortable and well maintained... however two things let it down.

First, half of the lights in my room did not work.

Second, I decided to check out a day early as I had some friends in the area and wanted to visit them. Upon checking out, I was told that as I had prepaid, there was nothing to pay and everything was settled.

However upon arriving home, I noticed that they charged $149 to my card for early departure. When I called, they argued about it for a while, but eventually refunded me. Having hidden policies like this is not cool! I won't be staying here again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you Andrew for taking the time to write this review. I am glad you found the room comfortable and well maintained. However I wanted to apologize for the errors on our behalf with the early departure fee when you had already paid for the room in full. We should never charge you directly when you have already paid someone else. I would like to invite you to contact me directly if you are ever in the area again as we would love the chance to redeem ourselves from this mistake. Once again I am truly sorry for this mistake and we do hope to see you again.

afinch@jdvhotels.com
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Many people write about what they wished this (or some other hotel) had or was like, rather than simply acknowledging that the facility is as advertised. This is a good case in point because it is not advertised as 5 stars or particularly quiet and spacious. The description of the facility is accurate and I got just what I expected; and it was a good value for the price. Comfortable, clean, plenty of parking, friendly staff, adjacent to IHOP and several other fast-food casual dining options. I'd stay here again, which is the best recommendation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Barry and Jackie for this fantastic review. I am glad you found everything to your liking and as advertising. It is always great to hear that the staff was friendly and the rooms with comfortable and clean. We strive to create the best experiences possible here at the Avatar, and hope to see you again your next visit to the Santa Clara area.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We needed to be in Santa Clara for an early morning meeting so booked the Avatar Hotel last minute the evening before.

Plenty of parking outside and near the hotel. Check-in was easy and straight forward - we asked the receptionist for the quietest room available. I think the hotel has been recently refurbished and from what I gather used to be a motel. The decor in the room was very quirky and modern. The bathroom was small and basic but the shower was excellent. Bed was firm and we had plenty of pillows.

As we were only passing through Santa Clara on business, I couldn't really find any fault in this hotel as it served our purpose. If you are on business in the neighbourhood and you need a clean and affordable place to rest your weary head for one night, then this place is perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you L K for the review. I glad you found the Avatar perfect for your travelling through business trip! I have to agree with you with the shower the rainfall shower heads are great. I hope you keep us in mind for your next trip to the Santa Clara area, as we hope to see you again.

Lacey, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is really an interesting place. It was clean but quirky. The rooms have all been recently updated and appointed. The staff are on top of things, friendly and professional. But... It is still a motel. All rooms open up to the outside and those on the first floor look out onto parking lots or if one is fortunate, maybe the courtyard with the swimming pool. Several women in our group did not feel comfortable with the inherent lack of security of rooms on the ground floor that faced into isolated parking lots.

I would not stay here again, if only because of the converted motel design issues.

I will admit this place will be THE place to stay once the new football stadium is completed and games are underway. Perfect for the tailgating, partying game goers!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your insightful review Jeff, this is much appreciated. I am happy to hear your found the stay very friendly and professional and that our rooms came across the way we desire with the quirky feeling. I also wanted to take this time to let you know what we are currently completing here on property to decrease the feel that we are a motel. We have enclosed our whole property with key entrance gates and a whole new landscaping design to create a more private exclusive feel. I hope you will return in the future.

Irkutsk, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The rooms are cozy in the hotel. The swimming pool is also very nice. There is only one thing that bothered me a little - when you enter the lobby the artificial scented odor was so strong that it made me feel bad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Natalia for this great five star review! I am glad you found the rooms cozy and you got to enjoy the pool we had a wonderful January and beginning of the year here. Thank you also for your comment on our air freshener scent, I have gone ahead and adjusted this so our other guests do not have the same experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

It's a motel outside doors for all the rooms. Carpets are stained, but otherwise clean. Everything works. Pillows are feathers or foam. Matresses have no box springs and are a bit soft. I slept well, but the experiencw is very basic.

Adam F, Manager at Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you Brandt for your feedback. I am glad that you slept well, but am sorry to hear we didn't stand out of the crowd. We are actually currently going for a very large refresh on the property grounds creating a more private enclosed area to counter the outside doors. We would love to have you back in the future and make your next experience stand out among any others. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any suggestions where we could create a more of a wow experience.

afinch@jdvhotels.com

Been to Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!