“Rooms in Back the best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
San Jose, California
“Rooms in Back the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This property is fine as long as you request the rooms in the very back away from the pool. (rooms whose back portion face a residential street) These rooms have nice southern exposure, are clean and well -maintained. On our stay there in April, we were put in a different area, the "overflow" section and we found the room to be dark, musty and a bit spooky. We had called in late in the day and I had forgotten to say I had my dog with me. I was told they had to switch us to a different room . The gal at the front desk seemed perturbed by my not mentioning the dog(we stayed 5 times before with my dog and I thought they would remember, my mistake) I just knew by the way she acted she was sending us to the worst room there and she did. They put us in a smoking room behind a stairwell and it was one of the scariest motel rooms I have ever seen. Dark, small, stained carpet, reeked of cigarettes. My sister went to the front desk and begged to get another room. The manager handled it well and showed us the overflow room which we then took. It worked out fine but next time we would only stay in the back portion of the motel with the rooms that face the residential street. Breakfast here is terrific, staff can be moody but they are ok.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms at the back whose back portion face a residential street.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Took a recent trip to Santa Clara for my daughters tumbling meet. We made the mistake of not booking a hotel before we got there and somehow came up with this gem on Expedia. The pictures LIE!!! This hotel is a complete tear down. The beds are horrible, the decor is from the 1980's, it was dirty, it was stinky, the shower/tub leaked, the area was sketchy, the service was not great. We tried to cancel the reservation when we got there but all of the other hotels in the area were booked. PLAN AHEAD AND STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Of course Mariani’s is old – it is a historic hotel. That’s its appeal. Mariani’s is like a time capsule that transports its guests back into the past, to the birth of the Silicon Valley in the early 1960s. The facility is well maintained and clean. A good value for guests who stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for pet friendly, non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Close to the intersection of El Camino and San Tomas, the location is great, you can walk to many restaurants, starbucks, and bank.
What this hotel needs is remodeling, and it needs it NOW! I am sure residents of the area have good memories of this hotel, but everything is sooo old. Rooms are spacious, especially the "suites". The suites have kitches, fridge, microwave, dishes, a small dining table.

Most carpets are old and smelly, beds are old and have bed bugs, bathroom fittings are old and you have the problem of hot/cold water from the shower. Plenty of free parking. Their free breakfast is probably the best in the area - very good variety.

Their Sunday brunch is popular and they have a decent bar with friendly staff. They also have poker nights on Mondays/Tuesdays.

It's definitely value for money. Much cheaper compared to other hotels in the area, but as they say "you get what you pay for".

Room Tip: Suites rooms are at the back. If you get disturbed easily, avoid rooms near the BBQ area (in summer...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The good: breakfast buffet, extra towels/pillows promptly delivered, overall friendly front desk people.

The ok: rooms were decent though the walls are a bit thin.

The BIZARRE: after finding out that this hotel has a very reasonable monthly rate, i inquired with the manager who asked me (with some attitude, in front of FOUR other employees) "so what's going on with you that you want to stay in a hotel for a month?" I requested that perhaps she needs to ask me that question in private. She was accommodating in that regard but did not apologize for the absurdity of asking about my personal situation in front of a team of gawking employees..oh but it gets better: AFTER hearing that I'm needing a bit of space from my current living situation & extracting a level of detail i wasn't entirely comfortable with, the manager THEN informed me that they allow dogs on a day by day but not month by month basis & also accused me of not registering my dog with front desk. (when i see a pet friendly hotel, i assume i can bring my pet, but that's not the problem)

THE PROBLEM: instead of asking whether my dog would be staying for the month & advising me that this is against policy, the manager first got the 411 on my personal life & living situation and only after satisfying her curiosity (?) decided to ask whether my dog would need to stay with me.

No lady, i bring my dog in with me to stay for 2 days but for the rest of the month I'm going to put him in a kennel (please note sarcasm)

• Stayed August 2013
Hillsboro, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

There were no hotels available at all and my friend found this place. I was greeted by some very nice reservation desk people who made me feel welcome.

Virginia is so nice (and very attractive!)

Would stay here again if my regular hotel wasn't available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bhubaneswar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice location and good buffet. Coffee in room is great. Wi-fi was reliable.

Probably needs some maintenance as rooms are not sound proof ( hard wood floors of first floor rooms ) and nullifies the advantage of less sound from vehicles plying on the road outside.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mariani's Inn? Share your experiences!