As many others have said, this motel (NOT a hotel) is a pretty good place to stay if you're looking for basics and don't want to pay extremely high prices for hotels in the bay area.
- Clean, and the maids came daily around the same time to freshen things up
- Comfortable beds
- Cozy space -- we did a lot of chilling out in the room and it was comfortable
- Decent internet
- Price! This was cheaper than the chain budget hotels in the area and gave us many good options like 2 queen sized beds (ACTUAL queens, not those crappy ones that look more like fulls), a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a good-sized TV. The more expensive hotels did not have those options. Paid less, got way more for the money at this hotel.
- Pretty good sound-proofing. We were on edge when we arrived because there was an extremely loud and noisy family in the room next to ours. You could hear them outside in the parking lot just through their door. But we could hardly hear them in the room, nor did upstairs noise really get through a lot.
- Bright lights outside the room at night and the shutters don't keep it out. I slept with a sleep mask the entire time.
- If you get a room on the bottom floor, be prepared to be woken up every morning from 7-9 am as the normal hotel patrons get up and start moving about and starting up their cars to leave for the day. We were also unfortunately there on garbage truck day, which was I think Tuesday or Wednesday, and that was very annoying.
- When we got there and checked in (a Thursday night) the hotel staff wouldn't give us a room upstairs even though it wasn't fully booked at that point, as most weekenders don't arrive til Friday morning for check-in, and we were going to be staying for a full week.
- Upstairs noise if you get a downstairs room, though I will say this wasn't really a huge problem. It wasn't any worse than living downstairs in an apartment, certainly not so bad you could hear everything your neighbors were doing
The breakfast is nothing to write home about but available, and we never used the business center computers. Wifi worked every time we tried it and the cable was decent as well. Location was great, since we were ~1 hr or less away from basically everything to do in the bay area, from San Fran to Monterey Bay. We even made a day trip of seeing the sequoias. Within San Jose, it's pretty close to the expressways/freeways, too, and there are a crapton of restaurants and stores within easy walking distance.
I definitely recommend this motel. I'll be booking there again if I have reason to be out in that area.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Stratford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Santa Clara
- Santa Clara Howard Johnson