“Engagement happened here ” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
Rancho Cordova, California
“Engagement happened here ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I booked this hotel two days in advance since I was in town for business little did I know this would end up as one of the greatest if not the greatest experiences of my life. I chose this hotel passed on location but also because it looked romantic. I planned on proposing to my girlfriend of which she had no idea. When I checked in the lady at the front desk asked me if I was there for a special occasion, I hadn't planned on saying anything but I told her I was going to propose. The manager and her got so excited they asked if the hotel could do anything to make the night any better. They upgraded us to a suite and sent up room service with a bunch of amenities for the night. Overall just an amazing experience at this hotel, great staff, great atmosphere and incredible room. Thank you so much for contributing to a night that I will never forget!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Congratulations on your most exciting and greatest moment ever, your engagment! Thank you for choosing the Santa Clara Marriott for this special time and allowing us to be a part of a wonderful memory. We look forward to your future stays which will now always have a special meaning.

Tim Herrmann, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a company event in Marriot Hotel in Santa Clara and it was great. Rooms were great and clean (they even clean under your bed and leave sheet of paper with information about that there), swimming pool perfect, including food & beverages service there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear that your company event turned out great and that you had a wonderful stay. On property we have a fantastic Fitness Center, refreshing pool and adirondeck chairs surrounding our Courtyard Wing to help you relax and feel refreshed. Join us next time for another new experience.

Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I've stayed at this Marriott many times over the past 25 years. It's always been a decent mainline Marriott, and I've been impressed with the efforts made to improve the rooms and public spaces. The latest remodelings done of the past few years (the check-in lobby area was redone last year) have been outstanding in transforming a building that is going on 40 years old.

However, the most impressive aspect of my latest stay was the service element. In the past, even with Gold and Platinum level Marriott status, I was never treated as well at this Marriott as I am at other Marriotts, including those like the Times Square Marriott that are overrun with elite guests. This time was very different. The front desk check-in was not only efficient, but friendly and accomodating. Immediately after check-in, my foam pillows arrived, which almost never happens when you ask for a different room at check-in than the one preassigned. The hostess in the concierge lounge was similarly outstanding.

I'm not sure if there's a new GM, but there definitely seems to be a different tone to the hospitality of this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms that face towards Highway 101 (pool side) do get some road noise. It's not terrible at...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and welcome back! Being an older property here in the Silicon Valley can certainly be a challenge for any hotel chain. However, as the Marriott brand, we take pride in our building inside and out. Our goal is to not only change the overall feel of the hotel, but to provide an exceptional stay, each and every time. As a frequently traveler, you understand the service piece of being consistant, and that is our goal from check-in to check-out. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we look forward to having you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Santa Clara Marriott

This is not my first stay at Santa Clara Marriott, however it is my first review of the hotel. I will try to reflect on my 10+ previous stays, where appropriate, to provide more relevant information.

Hotel is located in Santa Clara and primarily caters for business visitors, however it is one of several better hotels there that are located close to Great America park (0.7 miles walking distance). Other options of decent quality nearby are Hilton Santa Clara and Hyatt Regency Santa Clara (Hilton being closest). Car is certainly required to go pretty much anywhere else. Note that parking (self-parking option) costs $9/day.

The hotel have 3 separate wings - South Tower, North Tower and Courtyard wing. Executive lounge is located at the top of South Tower, however since not so long ago they started to serve lounge breakfast in the bar at the ground floor. I personally would advise against staying at the Courtyard wing due to potential noise from the swimming pool. Either South or North tower are preferable - high floors highly advisable due to chillers on the roof of the restaurant (noisy). For the similar reasons, if you are light sleepers, avoid rooms close to elevators and to vending areas (they are very noisy, but only when operated - so even if they are quiet at the moment of your check-in, it may change).

Santa Clara Marriott have substantial size swimming pool and the hot tub. It can become quite noisy with the children playing in the pool. Fitness center is substantial with lots of cardio equipment, weights and other amenities.

This time around my stay was for 2 nights. I was allocated the room in North tower. When I went upstairs to have a look, room was the one next door to vending/ice and the elevator lobby. As I am light sleeper, and I know that it can be quite noisy, I immediately went back down to the reception and asked to be moved. They said that unfortunately they no longer have any rooms with king size bed available, but there are some availability with 2 double beds. When facing the choice between 2 evils (smaller bed or noisier room), I chose smaller bed. My room was in North tower on the side facing US-101, however motorway noise was not a problem. What was a (usual for this hotel) problem is air-conditioning. Hotel has window a/c units that are usually noisier than built-in units. This time I did not use a/c as it was not hot, but do note.

Room was of adequate size with 2 double beds, writing table/chair, easy chair with journal table and LCD TV. Room has a "balcony" - not a step out balcony but rather a balcony door with mosquito screen. I am not sure anyone will be willing to sleep with balcony door open so close to US-101 but this is an option. Desk lamp was not working so I called engineering. Engineering apologized that they do not have any more desk lamps and offered to move bed-table lamp to the desk, which was fine with me - in a nice gesture engineering person said that he'll tell reception to give some points for inconvenience - several days later 1000 points appeared on the statement. I like when hotels do this without asking. There was no bathrobe/sleepers in the room but I asked and they send it up.

Bathroom has usual set of toiletries, shower over bath, toilet and sink with the mirror.

Internet was free for gold/platinum members and quite fast/reliable. For guests without status I think price is ~$12/day.

Executive lounge served some hot dishes (this time it was chicken "casserole"), soup, salad, nacho chips with salsa, also there was fruit and cheese platter. There was "honor" bar with wines at $6/glass and spirits $8/glass. I am always skeptical when Marriott tells they sell these drinks at a nominal charge - wines were of $6/bottle quality. After ~7pm food was removed and replaced with sweets. Water, coffee and soft drinks are available throughout the day. Breakfast for gold/platinum elite members is served downstairs in the sports bar. Breakfast has reasonable choice of hot food (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, hash-browns), yoghurts, spreads, tea and coffee (Starbucks). Choice of juices did not include tomato juice, but staff was willing to travel an extra mile, so they fetched me a glass - much appreciated.

Main hotel's restaurant is Parcel 101 which also serves buffet breakfast for hotel guests, and sports bar. Parcel 101 is on expensive side but food quality is decent, sports bar is OK for less casual dining with my favorite being Caesar salad with grilled king prawns and glass of chateau St Michelle Riesling. There is also Starbucks corner in the lobby.

Overall, quite decent hotel, not better or worse than other major chain hotels nearby (e.g. Westin, Hilton) so it essentially comes down to your chain preference.

If anyone has any questions related to this hotel I will be glad to answer (if I know the answer) - just ask.

Room Tip: avoid courtyard wing, lower floors in north/south tower or rooms close to vending if you are light s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, it's truly valued and appreciated. As we have many travelers come through Santa Clara, our goal is give them the best hotel expereince possible. Your feedback is important and I thank you for your continued patronage choosing the Santa Clara Marriott as your hotel in the Silicon Valley. My hope is that we will continue to give you exceptional service as you stay with us in the near future.

South Hadley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last week on business. This is truly an excellent Marriott. The location is great in terms of getting to the hi-tech companies that abound in Santa Clara. The customer service is exceptional. They also have a fantastic lobby. It's homey, yet expansive, with lots of comfortable chairs as well as tables. Although they don't have free internet in the rooms, which is a pet peeve of mine, the lobby totally makes up for it. There is free wifi in the lobby, and it's much nicer to get some work done in a well-appointed lobby than in your hotel room anyway. There's also a Starbucks in the lobby, which is handy. You have to pay for parking, the the self-park option is convenient with a good system. Overall it was a real pleasure to stay here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! It's great to hear how well the hotel is doing while providing a great product with excellent customer service. We continue to strive in serving our guests well and making each stay exceptional while they are away from home. I hope that you continue to chose the Santa Clara Marriott as your destination hotel when traveling to the Bay Area. Thank you again and we'll see you soon!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Approximately 1/2 mile off route 101 you will find this great hotel. It is very convenient if you are planning to visit Santa Clara Convention center which is located less than a mile from the property.
I was greeted by very friendly staff. Lobby appearance was very appealing.
I did not have the opportunity to dine at the hotel's two restaurants, but they were highly ranked by Urban Spoon.
Room hallways gave me the impression the hotel was old, but when I entered the room it was a different story. Carpet was semi-new looking and very clean. Bed were comfortable although they did squeak a bit. The room wasn't too big but it was kept top notch. Bathroom, although being a very tiny one, was impeccable.

Self parking rate was decent compared to other hotels.

This property has a climate controlled outdoor pool, which I guess would be nice for those who like to swim. I also passed by the gym and it looked very nice, machines looked new.

It is located across an IHOP, a bagel place (which by the way is excellent), a pizzeria and very short distance to other restaurants.

In my opinion, in a scale from 1 to 100, I would give this property a 90. Complimentary regular coffee, free self-parking for guests (since they have two big parking lots) and free internet would have put this property close to 100.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your great feedback. We take pride in our product and hospitality, and when that enviornment is created, it translates into having happy guests. The Santa Clara Marriott is in a great location with immediate access to 101 and near the 237 which suits the corportate traveler very well. An AMC 20 Movie complex, TJMaxx and jogging trails are just around the corner when other needs arise. With all of these options around, it makes traveling easy. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting your future stays with us.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

RECOMMENDED: This property has been here for ages, good location, easy access to 101. The layout includes 2 towers and some connected 2 story small buildings. Marriott is on top of any maintenance here and the property has been renovated several times in it's history. It's a popular on the Silicon Valley route and best to book early.

Check-in was friendly quick (thanks to Cathy from Hong Kong!) and they dealt with a special specific room request (as I was staying for several days). Rooms are quite large, well appointed and in good repair. Internet comes in 2 flavors, cheap n' slow, or fast/$$$. Worked well despite hotel operating at peak with load of tech professionals all on the Internet.

Good room lighting and desk area, nice TV. Bedding comfortable and AC/heating worked well (in room unit not too noisy). If there is a downside, the bathroom is quite small and is likely a hold-over from the original design (and difficult thus to change). All nicely appointed, well illuminated.

I did not have any room-to-room noise (but had specifically requested to be in 2 floor bldg on 2nd floor and as well facing the inner courtyard).

The hotel has 2 restaurants (a sports bar). I only had breakfast, nothing over the top in terms of choices but a reasonable selection.

This is a solid choice. The valley sadly has a huge number of disappointing properties considering the worldwide draw and thankfully Marriott works to hold their image here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Tim H, General Manager at Santa Clara Marriott, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your great feedback from your recent stay. The Silicon Valley has serveral hotel brand options to choose from, which is why we are delighted that you chose the Santa Clara Marriott. Although we may be an older hotel compared to some, we've got great bones and definitley put our best foot forward to make your stay exceptional. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Tim Herrmann, General Manager

Been to Santa Clara Marriott? Share your experiences!