“Good hotel for conventions” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bangalore, India
“Good hotel for conventions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara is located perfectly for conventions - next to the Santa Clara Convention Center. The hotel has its own banquet halls and rooms that can be used for events etc. - which is exactly what we did.

This was my first stay in a Hyatt of any sort so I did not have any specific expectations. The rooms were nice but I really could have done with a different basin...the design of the one in the room leaves me wondering at its efficiency. Also, the flow of water is a trickle and that doesn't help you when you're getting your morning shave!

The room itself is comfortable and the breakfast is good. The lounge area on the ground floor is well suited to evening conversations over a drink. Friendly and attentive staff, lots of open space and free parking (if you don't need a valet). Overall, it was a good experience and I'd stay here again if work needs me in Santa Clara.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hello Pratish M,

Thank you for staying with us in Santa Clara and for providing feedback regarding the stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, their convention services, the comfort of the rooms and the lounge area. I do hope that another event or a personal trip brings you back our way again.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was in Santa Clara for a business meeting for 3 nights in early November. Overall, it was a very good visit at the Hyatt Regency.

The staff was excellent, almost without exception. Was very impressed with the way I was welcomed to the hotel, from the staff outside, to the clerk who checked me. I had some trouble getting my Gold Passport number onto my reservation ahead of my visit, but the person who checked me was able to help me fix that. He also switched me to a different room on the 11th floor, which I was told was for Gold Passport members. There were some small additional amenities, like cookies in the evening and fresh fruit in the morning. (One of the 3 mornings, however, there were still cookies out when I would have expected the fruit.)

Continuing with the staff - when I got to my room, there were a couple members of the housekeeping staff cleaning adjacent rooms. They stopped what they were doing, said hello, and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I'm more accustomed to housekeeping staff just quietly trying to fade into the background - I was pleasantly surprised at the extra friendliness and focus on customer service. On a different day, I had breakfast in the Tusca restaurant. The person who seated me was courteous and informative, and the hostess came by to make sure I was doing well and chatted for a minute. Again, very professional and impressive. And my first night, I went down to the sushi place in the lobby. The sushi chefs were very helpful in helping me select what I'd like and accommodating when I decided I wanted to get my order to go to take up to my room. The sushi itself was also quite good.

The room itself was fine. I had a room that had 2 double beds. That worked out fine for me, since I was travelling alone. But I have to admit I was surprised at double beds - I would have thought that they would have 2 queens. With that said, the bed and pillows were comfortable and I slept well. I appreciated that they had electrical outlets built into the night stand and on the wall by the workspace. Made it easy to plug in my laptop and phone charger. The workspace had a good chair - that was a plus. I was disappointed, however, that there wasn't a sofa or armchair for relaxing/reading/watching TV, especially since I was led to believe that my room was an upgrade. It didn't feel especially upgraded. In talking with some others who were there for the same meeting, they got additional toiletries that I did not get. I also would agree with some of the others who commented on the décor - it just seemed odd, especially in the halls and by the elevators. The bathroom was also odd. As you can see from some of the photos, the bathroom door was kind of like a barn door - a frosted-glass-sliding-door-on-a-rail -- not a problem, just odd. The sink was also odd - a square ceramic "vessel" sink with the faucet off the left. I needed to rinse out a piece of clothing (spilled on my sweater) and the sink was very awkward for that. From a design perspective it looked good, but was not as functional as I would have liked.

Room Tip: A colleague had a room on the 3rd floor near the exercise room. She said that she could hear the peo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay in Santa Clara. I am happy that you enjoyed the excellent service provided by the staff. I appreciate your feedback regarding the design of the bathroom and some additions you feel we could make to enhance comfort while relaxing in the room. I do hope that you stay with us again.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara is a little lesser than its counterparts, but what it lacks in certain areas it is convenient to a lot of local companies, the new stadium, Great America and the Santa Clara Convention Center.

The property was redone a couple years ago, but it was done in a 60's colored motif that makes it look a little tired. The lobby area is awesome and the bar area has a lot of seating etc. The drinks are pricey though. The food is ok, not the greatest.

Check in was simple, the front desk staff was always plentiful and helpful. I stayed in a room on the 11th floor (If I remember right) and everything is standard. If a convention gets out, like any convention hotel it is going to take awhile at the elevators.

The hallways are in dark pastel colors making it seem dirty and sad, but they were clean. The room is standard, but my first room smelled of spray and smoke. They were clearly trying to cover the smell, so I understand having to do so - but let it air out more.

The rooms decor is simple, but very ikea reminiscent, the colors again are pastels which make it tired and sad to look at - no warm colors or exciting design elements. The carpet seemed clean and while I was there they were cleaning some rooms (A bit loud, but the team always asked people around them if it was okay which I thought was a great gesture)

The bathroom area is standard, nothing great - the shower is standard and good water pressure. The sink is odd as they put the faucet on the left hand side - so it is awkward and gets water everywhere. If you are a fan of Hyatt Regency or Hyatt in general you know a focus is on their bath amenities - I freaking love them. They smell awesome and are plentiful.

The bedroom is standard and the beds are okay, clean sheets and lots of pillows etc. The TV is flat screen, nothing amazing. Standard amenities in the room - except no extra small seating area just a desk chair.

The best touch was a "Happy Hour" through room service from if I remember 3-6PM - the prices where on target and a pitcher of beer (Stella) was only $8 or something! AMAZING While the typical business traveler doesn't get back till later, get back for that special!

The worst part of this stay was the noise from the hallway, you could hear every little detail. At around 2-3AM there was a drunk individual outside in the hallway having a fight with someone in his room and it took security forever to even come up and the fight in the hall went on for at least 30-45 minutes. That was amazing it took security so long - then you could hear people coming in and out of their rooms all night.

Overall, a very standard Hyatt - there are a few other hotels in the area - there is a Hilton across the street - but it is dated. There is a Marriott maybe a mile away that packs in groups and families so it is noisy and it is a Marriott (I am not a fan). Avatar a JDV hotel is across from there and is okay, but very Motel 8esq - Embassy Suites and Plaza are great choices as well.

Staff, good - Hotel, okay - Location, Good

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor towards the ends of hallways to stay away from noise
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I've been on this hotel for a full week, and I loved it, nothing to complain about (except the missed lights switch near the bed. I need to get out from the bed to switch off lights...)
Staff are very professional and cool, food and beverage are amazing. The room is always very clean,...
The location of the hotel is also great, and I can reach out to wherever I want to go easily!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello Helmy T,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. We are so happy to have you stay with us and we definitely hope you join us again. I am thrilled to hear you are enjoying your stay in its entirety and thank you again for your kind words. We will definitely forward them to our executive management team to congratulation there staff on. Thank you for choosing Hyatt for your travels to Santa Clara.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

While my stay at the property was brief, a late 11 pm arrival at SFO, I recognized that their restaurant might be closed. I contacted the property to see if the restaurant was open not wanting to get fast food. I was advised that the restaurant was closed but they would have some sandwiches delivered to my room once I checked in. While I was not crazy about the idea of a sandwich, they offer was outstanding. During check-in (different the one I spoke to) I inquired if I had free breakfast as my Hyatt status has given me breakfast at other properties. While breakfast was not included, the check-in attendant gave me access for the day to the Regency Club the next morning. I wouldn't have been upset if he said no, but again, the fact that they gave me the opportunity to experience this amenity was huge. Once I got to the room, my sandwiches were brought along with 2-bottles of water. The hotel was located in a nice location next to the new San Francisco 49ers, a nice area which allowed for a morning run. There are many great bike / running paths near the hotel which was great for touring the residential area. The breakfast at the Regency Club was outstanding. I indulged in several Southwest Eggs Benedict and other foods of the sort. Everything at this property was spot on. The staff went the extra mile. I wish I was in the area more to patronize the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear BossHog0113,

Thank you for going into such detail about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. It is great to hear how our employees exceeded your expectations with the wonderful service you experienced. Our Regency Club is one of the best amenities we can offer our guests, and I am glad you were able to experience the delicious items available to guests with access to the club. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back, as our guest, on your next visit to Santa Clara. Your referral is greatly appreciated.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Was attending a convention and this hotel was recommended. When I first called they wanted almost 400 dollars to stay there - really? I managed to get a discount by invoking some AAA and other discount rate blather to the person on the reservations line. I would not have stayed there anyway at that rate I could have stayed elsewhere and spent the money on a rental car or cab. So the hotel - well its about like a nice hampton inn but at about 2 to 4 X the price. Hyatt finally got a clue on the wifi - if you are a rewards member you bypass the gouge. Overall its a nice place for what they charge it should be remarkable - its not. The food and beverage are pretty high priced but you would expect that for a conference hotel. Nice that they dont gouge for wifi - I found the place noisy - lots of noises that the HVAC or something makes.

Room Tip: try to see if you can get away from noise makers - HVAC, elevator, ice maker etc
Dexter, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt for the Health 2.0 conference and the location was great. The convention center was convenient and comfortable. The room was clean and comfortable. The best part of my stay though was Priscilla who took my room service order each night. I'm allergic to gluten and dairy and she was extremely helpful and understanding. She helped to make sure my food was prepared perfectly so I was able to truly enjoy my dinner. She was very friendly and helpful, she really made this a great and safe stay for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Good Evening carenlp,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. We often hear how greatly located we are near the convention center and all the business travel we bring in for conferences and conventions. We are thrilled to have you stay with us for your business travel. We will be sure to tell Priscilla of your kind comments and we will definitely thank her and recognize for her amazing service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Santa Clara.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!