“I expected more from a Hyatt” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California, United States
“I expected more from a Hyatt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here for a convention I was attending. The hotel, the pool, the lobby bar and the rooms were very nicely updated. They need some help from a designer on the look and feel of their elevator banks and hallway though. It is truly disgusting and makes you feel like you're in a two star hotel. Thank goodness the rooms make up for it.

The beds are comfortable and the room very modern. Housekeeping could do a better job though. They have these cool Japanese-style sliding bathroom doors made of glass. Once inside the bathroom looking at the glass doors, they're covered with toothpaste and who knows what sprayed all over them. I mean seriously housecleaning...closing the doors and look at them before you leave the bathroom. You'll notice many more things like peeling wallpaper or hair stuck to walls that you should be taking care of before you leave. Besides that, everything felt very clean in the room.

The hotel elevators, OMG the worst! Right in the middle of a convention (which the hotel is sold out to accommodate) they only had 1 elevator out of 4 working. And the one that did work wouldn't close it's doors all the way until the 6th time. It was like a bad joke. We would all try holding the door closed button, etc. But the doors just wouldn't close until the sixth try. There were no fat people on the elevator, there was no one blocking the door, but those darn elevated doors just would not close! Since I was on the top/14th floor with 2 little kids, taking them wasn't an option unless it was an emergency. At one time I did take them a few flights, and what did I see on the 12th floor? An elevator blocked open so someone could clean/oil the tracks. Really? At 9am when you have hundreds of people trying to use them? Whatever. I don't know anything about elevators so maybe this is mandatory. Don't know the story on the other 2 that never opened.

My last gripe is for the Regency Club or whatever it's called. I booked online and paid extra so I could have the convenience of getting afternoon drinks/snacks, plus breakfast for my family before we had to be downstairs at 7:30a. When I checked in, there was no mention of food even though they had me on that floor. When I asked about it he said it wasn't available and the manager lowered my rate. When I asked for proof of the lower rate and why wasn't I notified of this at time of booking, he couldn't provide or answer either. So I took down his name to make sure I got the lower rate at checkout, and luckily no problems there. So at checkout I asked the gal at front desk why Regency breakfast room was closed, and she said it always is on weekends because typically only weekday business travelers ask/pay for that service. So why can I book it online if its always closed on weekends? She didn't know. She said this is not a Hyatt thing, just their thing, and recommended I call in the future to confirm. Oh brother.

So would I stay here again? For the convenience of being at the convention center, maybe. But literally right across the street is the Hilton Santa Clara which is just as nice if not nicer, and cheaper! I would recommend the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Dearborn, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Well if you are in the area for business, a conference or convention, this is the place to stay. Right next door to the convention center in Santa Clara, it is a lovely hotel with lots of amenities. Hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. Even though there are business people everywhere going to meetings and such, it is still kid friendly. From the restaurant, to the gift shop and pool, they make kids feel welcomed. That is sometimes hard to come by with a more upscale, business like hotel. We felt very welcomed. Room was sparkling clean and food was fantastic in hotel restaurant. Lovely place overall.

• Stayed January 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. I’m pleased that you and your family had a wonderful experience. We welcome all travelers whether on business or leisure. I’m glad that you found your room to be very clean and the food in the hotel restaurant to be very good. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice hotel. Hallways tired - rooms ok. I stayed 2 nights on business travel. Perfect if youre visitng the local large tech firms.

Best part is the breakfast - buffet - nice lay out.

Internet - standard $5/ night and $10 if you want premium.

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this location several times this month - the staff was friendly and very helpful. We used the AAA rate which included a full buffet breakfast both times - a great value. The parking in front of the hotel was free and easily accessible. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The rates were reasonable considering it was a Hyatt. The only 'downside' were the corridors - the floors are a bit dated, but that is strictly cosmetic and had no bearing our our comfort. We will stay there again when we have business in the area.

Room Tip: City view pleasant - suggest the 5th floor or higher.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Santa Clara for your business trips. I’m thrilled that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. It sounds like you enjoyed your room and found it to be well appointed. Your feedback and recommendation are our biggest compliment. We look forward to your return!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Newport Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is really a business/convention hotel, so don't expect too much around without driving. We are used to getting free wifi, so that was a bummer that we had to pay. The restaurant is small compared to the size of the hotel, so we ended up going to a local diner, Country Inn Cafe, for brunch. That turned out to be a really good decision 'cuz my corned beef hash eggs benedict was so awesome. No other compliants or frills....

Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stay here two or three times a year for events my daughter has. The rooms are very clean and inviting. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful. It is right next to Great America, and close to shopping and dining. The price of food at the hotel is a bit extreme. I paid 4.50 for a large cup of hot water and a tea bag to go back to my room and find two of the same tea bags in there for free. The food is just as expensive so we eat outside of the hotel. Great place to stay though.

Room Tip: Facing east was beautiful. I watched the sun rise and could see the beautiful green hills all day.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Merced, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

At check-in they automatically hold 50.00 on your bank/credit card for "incidentals". Room was very modern and beds were comfortable. There was no breakfast offered and I got a knock on the door asking if we could keep the noise level down. I was a little put off by this seeing as how there were just a couple of kids in our room laughing relatively quietly?? Overall I would say take your money elsewhere and at least get a hot breakfast included with your stay someplace else. Not really a hotel for families.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!