“My favorite weekend get away!” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“My favorite weekend get away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times for business and pleasure. It is right across from Great America, easy access to the freeways, easy access to public transportation, and connected to the Santa Clara Convention Center. Close to The Great Mall, San Jose Airport, and Downtown Mountain View. The pool/patio area is fantastic!! I have been on that patio all night talking with friends before! The rooms are always very comfortable and the staff is friendly and helpful. The lobby is huge with plenty of seating and two restaurants. Parking is free for guests in the front (not sure about the parking deck) and there are plenty of cabs hanging around if you need. Out of all of the hotels in Santa Clara this is certainly my favorite!

Room Tip: You can get a room package that comes with breakfast for two, Great America Tickets, or a Spa treatm...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our room was not a "hyatt level" room... The bathroom, has a sliding glass door... and i think that door it´s not the appropiated for a bathroom. The shower doesn't have water pressure (more than neccesary when you are tired...).
The carpet doesn't smell well.

The good: very comfortable bed and pillows.

Nothing was included on the price... you need to pay for all the things

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I never take vacations during holiday weekends, but I was forced to this year due to schedule changes at work. I decided to travel from Southern to Northern California to visit family and friends.

I was worried that hotel rooms would be priced out of my range due to the holiday weekend, so I decided to use Priceline's blind bidding process. I offered $85-95 for a 3 1/2+ star rated room in Campbell or Saratoga. Not a snowball's chance in heck. Rack rates were in the $175 - 240 range. Priceline warned me that my offer had little chance of being accepted, and they were right. Priceline advised me to branch out to other nearby areas and to raise my offer. So I clicked a box to include San Jose and Santa Clara hotels, but my earlier preliminary search indicated these rooms were less expensive, so I lowered my offer to $75 - and Hyatt Santa Clara accepted! Their normal rate was in the $119 - 131 range, so I was pretty excited.

When I called the hotel to express my room preference (two queens non-smoking) I was told the hotel was sold out and all they could offer was a King non-smoking. (By the way, they do not offer queens, only fulls).

I got a late start from home and didn't arrive until about 7:30pm. I called them at 6:30p to say I was running late and was told by the front desk clerk "Not a problem. See you soon."

When I arrived at the hotel, which is situated between many major Silicon Valley companies like Yahoo, Citrix, and Broadcom, as well as the Great America amusement park, the now-under-construction future stadium home of the San Francisco 49er's football team (they are moving down the peninsula to Santa Clara), and the Santa Clara Convention Center, I found the parking lot full and the premises jammed with attendees of BayCon 2012, a Science Fiction fan convention. There were people wearing robot outfits, large individuals on leashes acting as pets for others, tie-dyed hippies from another century, and all manner of strange creatures acting, well, strangely.

At the front desk, the female clerk was extremely friendly and after taking my ID and asking if I wanted to leave a credit card number for incidentals (I did), she disappeared for 5 minutes. Upon her return I asked her if there was a problem. She replied "No, I'm just trying to find you a room on a high floor away from the convention-goers, because they can be quite loud."

I said "Wow, thanks! Very thoughtful. Thank you for protecting the elderly". I'm only 54, but peace and quiet WAS what I was after, and I was very appreciative.

My wife and I were booked into a small, but very nice room on the 12th floor, near the ice machine and not far from the elevator.

It really was small. There were no doors on the closet. Just a hang-up rack with a bathrobe made available for our use. (We declined).

A handle on the side of a tall mirror next to the door-less closet revealed a hidden compartment with an ironing board inside.

There was a night stand on each side of the bed, each with a few drawers - and in the bottom drawer of the stand nearest the window on the far side of the room was a top-opening safe. It probably would have fit a 15 inch laptop computer in there, but mine is 17 inches so I didn't try. I put keys and a hard drive in there is all. Enter the code of your choice and LOCK or CLOSE and you're good to go.

Along the entire length of the window on the north side of the room is a desktop where you can put your brief case and computer, with the necessary connections and power outlets provided. There is one chair there and one in the opposite corner of the room next to the TV in sort of a chaise lounge style - two detachable components so that you could turn two chairs into three, or use one part of one chair as a foot stool.

At the far left side side of the aforementioned desk - below - is a door that opens to a refrigerator. Turn the dial to MAX and stash your snacks and drinks inside.

The door to the bathroom consists of two translucent glass and wood sliding halves that come together and do NOT lock. The bathroom itself is quite small, with a toilet - BAM - right there between the sink and tub. No room to move around.

The sink consists of a porcelain square that sits above the counter and is flat - nothing drains downhill into the hole. You have to force flotsam and jetsam into the drain. There is a soap dish that collects debris as well and is equally difficult to clean.

A hair dryer and sundries are on shelves below the sink, and complimentary shampoo and toothpaste is provided.

Our room was very quiet. When the elevator to the room stopped on floors below to pick up others I noticed signs on the walls saying "When going to your room, please be considerate of other guests who may be sleeping". There was no such sign on the walls of our floor, and we never heard a sound. Very nice.

As we came and went over the course of 2 /12 days, the free parking lot out front remained very full, but people were leaving all the time, so finding a spot was never more than about a 2 minute wait, if that.

The gift shop is VERY expensive. Gum was $2-4 and a pack of cigs over $10, FYI. They do feature occasional limited time discounts on this or that.

The staff was very friendly and helpful if we had any questions. We didn't eat at the hotel so no comment there.

When we checked out at noon on the last day, the TV "quick check-out" feature wasn't working, so I had to call the front desk.

We had chosen to bill internet access to the room during our stay, opting for the $25.99 deal for three devices for 48 hours. That covered connections for the laptop, iPad, and one cell phone. At check-out the clerk asked if I wanted to sign up for the Hyatt Club card - she said "it's complimentary and right now we are offering our Gold members complimentary internet access as well". I told her "I think I'm a member already, but it probably didn't show on your screen since I booked through Priceline." She said "Right, it would not when you book through a third party, but let me see if I can find you.."

She finally said "Yes. Here you are - associated with a company account." I said "Right". She said "Great. I'll go ahead and take off the internet charges." I said "I love you!" She laughed, and all was right with the world!

So, based on my experience with the Hyatt Santa Clara May 24 - 27, 2012, I have to give them 4.5 stars! Great hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Typical Hyatt, this one is in good shape. Very friendly and helpful staff. Location is convenient to south silicon valley or north san jose, next to SC convention center and near Great America park. Bar food was decent after late arrival on Sunday at 10:30PM. Room with king bed was comfortable. Paper came one day of the week but not the others. My only negative is the bathroom lighting was dim at best, a few too many energy saving bulbs at too low a wattage. Shaving requires moving to the bedroom and opening the window shades or risk damage to your face.
Sam Adams and Stella both on tap!
Breakfast will clip you at $22.50 or more incl tip. I think this is ridiculous but a lot of better hotels do this.

Room Tip: I got an upgrade after relating my (true) storey of sitting in a UA plane for 5.5 hours pre takeoff...
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was here for business and brought my family for a bit of vacation. The service was very good. While I do not typically "require" the service a hotel like this offers, it is nice when needed. My first night there was a wedding with a party at the pool. The music was loud until 10 PM, then stopped. That was about the time I was going to call and ask. It was nice that they have a reasonable curfew on noise. Later that night, around midnight, there were a number of guys on the hall being loud and annoying. A quick call tot he front desk resulted in a prompt response and the guys went into their rooms. The next day we received a nice little gift of yummy plums from the hotel without prompting from us. The biggest improvement I could suggest is a shuttle from the airport. Several other hotels in the area offer it and I would have used it. If I was choosing the hotel, that could have been a deciding factor. The light blue color in the hallway reminds me of my grand mother's house, and that is not what a hotel should remind me of; but whatever. That is not the worst thing a hotel could do. I might try another hotel in the area if I had a choice, but I would not be disappointed to return here.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool and be a bit noisy when there is a party down there.
Selkirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I've stayed three times at the Hyatt in Sanat Clara. The hotel's proximity to the Convention Center makes it an ideal place to use as a base. The rooms are nicely appointed, modern and well kept. The main areas are comfortable and good for gathering.

Why did I give this four out of five? Well, the food was OK, not outstanding, just OK. There was nothing wrong with the food. It was OK. We booked a number of rooms for a conference we were attending and two colleagues had horrible experiences - one because the name on his reservation got mixed up and the other because his three night stay was changed to one night and he ended up at a hotel 2.5 miles away. I admit that the issues could have been picked up by our admin before they stayed, nevertheless, the hotel did not ensure they had accurately noted the changes.

The weekend each year that I have stayed has coincided with a dance competition held in the hotel. This makes it a noisy, boisterous place to be. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that it's worth checking what else is going on during your stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor. There isn't much noise from the roads around the hotel but being high g...
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Room was fantastic. Service very friendly and personal. Unfortunate that Internet isn't free and that the coffere bar in the lobby doesn't open until 6AM (same time as 9AM East Coadt conference calls start....)

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!