“Not impressed by Hyatt” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Not impressed by Hyatt”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed 3 nights in the Hyatt on business travel. The staff was very friendly and the hotel entrance looked nice enough. The breakfast buffet was included in my corporate rate and was excellent. The halls and rooms were very dated, looked like about 10 layers of paint. Tried two different rooms due to strong odors; the first room reeked of cleaning products, and I couldn't decide if the second room smelled more like a wet dog or a used toilet. Carpet in the second room was dirty, and both rooms had old & -worn furniture. Showers were moldy, the toilet wasn't clean, and the bathroom floor was sticky. The parking garage was quite a hike (particularly when raining since the walk isn't covered), and the garage filled up with visitors to the adjacent convention center. I found it odd that I couldn't find any restaurants or grocery stores within about a 10 mile radius of the hotel, but I guess that's Silicon Valley.

Room Tip: Give it the "sniff" test.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
price6405, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
We appreciate you sharing these details about your stay. We are glad to hear that our staff was very friendly and breakfast was excellent. We regret that your experience was outside of our normal standards and that our guestrooms did not meet your expectations. We greatly value your feedback as we strive to continuously implement corrective measures where necessary. I can assure you the specified concerns will be addressed in an appropriate manner with the respective departments of the hotel for resolution and follow-up.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you would like to further discuss and hope you will consider another stay at Hyatt.

Peter Rice General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I am writing this at 2 am from the San Jose Airport Garden Hotel (yup!), which is where my friends at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara offered to put me up because they gave my room away as the hotel was fully booked. My flight from London was four hours late, so I got to the hotel close to midnight. I did have my Gold Passport number in the booking, which was also part of a very large group booking to attend a two day board meeting. Upon arrival, I was told that there were no rooms in the hotel and that nearby hotels were fully booked. So I am about five miles down the road at this hotel, which used to be a Hyatt property but is no longer (from the standard, it is definitely below Hyatt). They have offered to pay the room and 'make it up to me', but having been delayed four hours, flown 11 hours from London, etc, I frankly don't want anything to do with them. I have also written to Hyatt HQ Customer Service. Be warned!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
price6405, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience. Our sincere apologies for this unforeseen circumstance and that we were not able to accommodate your stay. We strive to ensure that we exceed our guests expectations and this was certainly not the case in this instance.

I believe you have been in touch with our team and I hope you can forgive us and restore your faith in our brand.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

5 of us stayed here 18 Nov and had dinner at Tusca restaurant in the hotel. Everything from the entree to main and dessert was sooo delicious.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hacienda Heights, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife and I are both are hyatt platinum and always stayed at Hyatt Regency on every we travel. During Dec 2 - Dec 4 stay at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara on 13 floor, our room temp was always warm in the 75-76 and we called front desk regarding the issues. After each call complaint to front desk, we waited for about 30 min before a serviceman was sent to come and check the thermostat and he always said there is nothing wrong. Just wait for 30 min later and temperature should drop back down cooler. And every time we waited and waited the room remained to feel so warm and had to call again for service. Finally we couldn't take it any more and called to request for a room change around midnight and got move downgrade to a worse noisier room in 10 floor. Due to so late at night, we have to repack all of our personal belongings to move to another room and ended up left behind my wife Nordstrom $25 hair clip and $45 slipper in room. We called house keeping next day when we found out the left behind items and they claimed nothing was found in the room. We are extremely disappointed at service at this hotel to let us suffer through the hot aircon all night and lost our personal belongings after a requested room change. We know we would never come back to this Santa Clara Hyatt again and debating whether we should continue staying with Hyatt in future trip again or not.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
price6405, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. We're very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Getting a good night’s sleep, free of any facility related concern is a basic expectation and the temperature, room change and noise intrusion are not representative of our rooms here at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara. We also acknowledge your extreme loyalty to Hyatt as evidenced in your Platinum status and we very much appreciate your business.
I understand that our Executive Housekeeping Manager has been in contact with you to resolve the concerns you specified to ensure your complete satisfaction.
We hope this experience doesn't deter you from joining us at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara again, and we hope you'll give us another opportunity to be your host the next time your travels bring you to Silicon Valley.

Warm Regards,
Peter Rice
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed 3 nights during a conference. No show outside airport by limo booked through hotel website, but after phoning hotel, the manager immediately sorted the problem by saying he would pay the taxi I would have to get! (Luckily I had quarters with me for the phone!)
On arrival I was personally met by the manager, who paid the taxi, & allocated me a large room with balcony.
Exceptional manager and wonderfully friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt for a conference in the adjacent convention center. I was pleasantly surprised with the excellent level of service I received at this hotel. Upon returning from my morning jog (there is a great trail nearby for jogging without having to worry about traffic), the valet greeted me with a towel and cold bottle of water. This has never happened at any other hotel. I also received outstanding service at the bar for dinner; the staff seemed to anticipate my every need. Finally, since I had a video conference call, I signed up for the business wifi. However, the wifi dropped during my call. When I reported this to April at the front desk she was genuinely concerned about the impact this had to my call and immediately removed the Internet charge from my bill. The room itself was large and comfortable. My only complaint was the layout of the bathroom. I felt like I was standing on the toilet when using the sink. Otherwise, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room to get away from the A/C and road noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Had a random three-night pre-Thanksgiving stay here with my girlfriend, and we made our hotel selection almost entirely on price. Our rate was $79/night. Having just come from the Four Seasons San Francisco we were not expecting much.

For the price we were very surprised at how wonderful this hotel was.

Rooms: Comfortable and spacious and recently updated. Very attractive overall. The bathroom was nothing special, but it was fine. We spent almost all day every day in the room and were quite happy. Too bad the Wifi cost $15.00/day.

Common areas: Somewhat hit and miss - the lobby is very attractive. The hallways on the upper floors, though, have this ugly pale blue carpet and wallpaper and desperately need to be updated.

Food: We got a AAA rate which included free breakfast. This entitled us to eat at the attached restaurant (called TusCA) which had a hot buffet in the morning. It was delicious and extensive. Potatoes, eggs, pancakes, fruit, toast, cheese, bacon, sausage, quiche, omelettes, bagels, muffins... the whole spread. The normal price of the buffet is about $18.00 and it is worth approximately that much. Great value for an included hotel breakfast.

Staff: This is where the hotel really distinguishes itself and earns the 5 star review from me. Every person we encountered was super friendly and helpful, and not in a creepy way. I had interactions with two bellhops/doorguys, one front desk woman, a cleaning woman, and a woman who was working maintenance near the pool. Everyone seemed genuinely concerned with wanting to make my stay better. Even the cleaning woman gave a friendly "Thank you for staying with us!" in broken english and sounded like she really meant it.

I want to give a particular shout out to one of the bellhops. Unfortunately I didn't get his name (cool asian dude?). He was the first person we interacted with upon arrival and set the tone for the rest of the staff. I went out for a run on my second day. He saw me leaving, and when I returned he had a cold bottle of water and a towel waiting for me at the front door. I was incredibly impressed.

Speaking of running/fitness, this is a pretty good hotel for that. There is a multi-use trail that runs behind the property and can be picked up about 50 yards from the front door. The pool is quite nice and is big enough for lap swimming, and is heated so was perfectly useable for me in November.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
price6405, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for sharing such a kind review about us regarding your recent experience! We are delighted to hear that you found us to be a wonderful and distinguished hotel but most importantly, that you enjoyed our customer service. I am happy to know that our staff was so helpful in your accommodations and that the food and beverage, sleeping rooms and overall experience were to your liking. It will be our pleasure to share your kind words with our Front Office, Culinary and Restaurant teams and our beloved bellman, Jack. We truly look forward to welcoming you again upon your next visit to Silicon Valley.
Kindly,

The Plaza Suites
The Plaza Suites
#9 of 33 in Santa Clara
4.0 of 5 stars 358 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency Santa Clara? Share your experiences!