“Truly fresh Italian from a really cute and friendly crew” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 365 Restaurants in Santa Clara
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Denver, CO
“Truly fresh Italian from a really cute and friendly crew”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a large party of 12, which was tough for this small restaurant to accomodate, but they did a great job with our demanding group.
Calimari - very fresh, crispy with just the right amount of breading - served with slightly spicy and freshly made marinara (and tartar); bruschetta with tomatoes garlic and cheese. Both were excellent, with large portions.
At our table, we enjoyed eggplant parmesan which was huge, with perfectly melted cheese and firm noodles, artichoke raviolis in a cream sauce that was extremely rich and tasty, portobello and veggie fusilli.
Another person had a pasta with grilled chicken ...they raved about the chicken...the noodles looked a little overcooked to me.
We were there on Friday during Lent, but look forward to going back for more! Particularly the appetizers and the draft Moretti.
Furnishings are very simple... the staff makes you feel right at home, immediately.....if you want fancy: skip this place; if you want really delicious homemade Italian at reasonable prices - go here!

Visited February 2013

Chamberlain
“Nice dinner, accomodating staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Had dinner there a couple of nights ago. Very busy place, sat at counter. Food was excellant. Waitress was accomodating. House red wasn't wonderful.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California, United States
“Local fav”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I work nearby, so I have had many lunches here. Salads are great, I like the Caesar version, and the pastas are excellent. I usually get the penne with chicken and broccoli. Love it. The pizzas are los good!

Visited December 2012
Santa Rosa
“Probably the best or second-best place in Santa Clara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

In a town where even sophisticated TripAdvisor folks rate a donut shop near the top, you can't expect much, can you? But Mio Vecino is really very good. I had the misfortune to spend last night in Santa Clara. There truly is no there there. They seemed to have destroyed their historic downtown and replaced it with crap. I don't think I'll ever go back. But if I do go, I'll happily eat at Mio Vecino. The atmosphere per se is nothing. But the food is surprisingly good. I had the special of the day, a seafood risotto.It was very good, and the portions were very generous (lots of mussels and shrimp, and a good flavor). The wine selections were good and moderately priced. And it was clear to me that the locals (many of them, I suspected, professors at the University) really thought of this place as a second home.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Jose
“Excellent Food and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The food is actually fresh cooked. Not pre done sauces. The staff are all excellent. If you have to eat alone often like I do because of business travel, the small bar faces an open kitchen where you can watch the chefs work their magic. The pasta dishes are plentiful, flavorful and worthy of a to go bag if you have some left over! I've eaten here numerous times over the last six months since I got to town and after I move here in Jan, this will be one of our regulars!

Visited November 2012