“Didn't feel safe” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Santa Clara
Oroville, California
“Didn't feel safe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here on October 17 and chose it for price and location. We checked jn and went immediatelt went to a concert at the SAP center and on arrival back at the hotel we realized that the door to our room was broken in and the lock on the door wouldn't work am the safety lock was completely gone. The shower nob was broken and my sister almost cut her hand trying to take a shower. Breakfast was coffee, juice and mini bagels with jelly. We had other plans for breakfast so that didn't bother us but for other clients I am sure they were disappointed. On check out I told the desk clerk about the door and he acted surprised... Uh really?? It was very noticeable and I am sure that they had complaints before... :(

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Columbia, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked this hotel three weeks before my arrival. I was very excited going to California that I was thinking how great this place was going to be. But upon my arrival, I saw beds lining up along the walls, linen piled up outside the door of the rooms, it appeared as there was some major cleaning up going on. The aspect of the hotel was very third world. When I went to check in, the front desk woman was very rude, she upfront told me I had to paid for the night before because my reservation was for the night before. I explained that my plane was late arriving to my connecting point that I missed my plane to San Jose. Moreover, I had called to explain the situation the night before. She insisted I had to pay for the missed night. I argued my case but she would not have it; she went to call the manager, who proved to lack customer service and social skills. The man started raising his voice and telling me I had to paid! Not knowing what to do, I said fine, booked me in, but the man continued raising his voice and acting as if his hotel was the only hotel in town. After raising his voice and telling me that I must paid, over and over again, I told him that I would not recommend his hotel to anyone if he continue with his tone. The man got even more belligerent an immediately told the front desk woman, "cancel his reservation; I don't want him here!" He then bolted out of the room. My dear people, that was the best thing that happened to me. This Econo Lodge is not worth your dust, let alone your money. Add extra 20 to 30 dollars and you can have a better choice. By God, what a nasty people and unkempt looking place. I love California, hate this place.

Room Tip: Cannot say; did not stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Mariposa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Upon reading reviews for this hotel I was getting a little worried for booking it. However when we arrived it was quite pleasant. The room was clean and the staff was very helpful. We had arrived in early evening and wanted a good place for dinner. We had located a Hometown Buffet near by but missed it on the road. The front desk was able to give direction to it where we had a nice dinner. Upon coming back to the motel I noticed that we had forgotten our keys in the room. The manager was only happy to give us another key to the room and also get a couple more towels that were needed for our party. Had a good nights sleep compared to the night before. Breakfast was not much the juice machine was out of juice and there was no coffee in the lobby. However there was coffee in the room I was happy...The only thing that was in the lobby was some bagels and cream cheese but to be honest that was plenty for me. If i am in the area again I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Gervais
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am a District Manager and travel quite a bit. I am a Diamond member of the Choice Hotel chain, the highest you can achieve. I frequently book rooms for my employees. I booked a room at this hotel on 12.11.12. My employee arrived at the hotel and they said they could not find the reservation despite my having a reservation confirmation that was emailed to me before my employee arrived. My employee tried all available name and methods to try to get them to find the reservation. He tried to call me but I was unavailable. He reported to me the next day that the desk help would not even make a search for the reservation but simply said it didn't exist. They had one room left and charged him full price for a king suite. I thought it was a simple mistake that could be cleared up and he was staying there the next night. I called Choice Hotels customer service. They contacted the manager to discuss what happened and the manager told customer service that they charged me for a no-show. I was billed for two rooms that night. My employee tried to resolve the matter the next day upon checking out of his second night there and the manager told him to go pound sand (meaning they would do nothing, the charges would stand and that it was our fault). I am disputing the charge with our credit card company. I have stayed at enough different hotels to know how to be treated and what to expect. This place takes the cake for the worst place to date. I can't imagine they are earning customers with this kind of treatment. I wanted to voice my experience to try to help others avoid the pitfalls of this deplorable hotel. I guess there is a reason they are cheaper than the others in the area.

Room Tip: Try to avoid this hotel if at all possible. Nobody needs to experience their bottomless pit of poor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

What a pity; the desk people are 'kind of nice' although the clientele here are drivers of pickup trucks who like to drink beer in the parking lot. This place has no maintenance at all; they don't care. It probably defies some laws and codes. The shower kind of worked.. the handle has almost come off the wall. We left with the shower still running, can't shut off.The first room we were given was permeated with the smell of cigarette smoke although it was called a nonsmoking room. The door was in need of repair; it took major effort to open and then could not close properly. We were shifted to another room, which was cleaner. But was this really worth a $50 gas certificate? The other reviews that were positive must have stayed in slumdog millionaire type digs in the past. The chain needs to shut this place down.

Room Tip: for $20 more you get a good chain; read Consumer Reports
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carson, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We (my husband & I and family members) stayed here this past weekend for two nights. Staff was accomadating, but not very friendly. The rooms are very old and need alot of work. The bathroom was not very inviting as the shower had black stuff around the top and it was missing tiles around the edges of the door to the bathroom. The doors only worked when they wanted to ... you had to put in your key at least 5 - 10 times before the door would open and the doors wouldn't close tight unless you tugged at them. They only have VHS which is very outdated. I will definitely pay more to stay in a better place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Santa Clara? Share your experiences!