Visiting LA, I wanted to do a quick trip to Santa Barbara and visit some of the vineyards at Santa Ynez. Agave Inn turned out to be perfect. I knew it was quite a ways out on State St, outside of Old Town SB, which was fine with me, but it turned out to be perfect, because it's that much closer to Santa Ynez.
The location got even better, as being a bit out of the main tourist centre puts you closer to the 'real Santa Barbara', or more specifically a Whole Foods, Macy's, CVS, and other helpful shops like that. It's really just a 10 minute drive down the main drag from 'downtown'.
The Agave Inn looks like a regular, old school motel, and to some extent it is. It's no frills, but it's clean and has been updated really nicely. I paid $69/night (+tax) and felt like I more than got my money's worth.
The decor was simple, but clean and fresh. It was nicer than it had to be for the price. The place was clean. And this is more important at a roadside motel than it is, say, at a Sheraton, let's face it. The owners clearly take pride in the place, and it shows that they care.
The bed was comfortable -- I got a really good night's sleep! I was concerned about the road noise when I checked in, but to be honest, it was fine. If you're a light sleeper, maybe request a room further back from the road -- mine was the second or third in from the road. I think State St just does get really quiet at night. No boy racers!
I also noticed that (with one possible exception) other people staying there looked like they'd prob found Agave on Tripadvisor, and perhaps were not 'standard motel customers.' In the office, they had a card requesting TripAdvisor reviews as well, which signals that the Agave is counting on discerning folks like us on the hunt for high quality value accommodation, as opposed to motel trashers looking for a $69 crashpad. (Apologies to any motel trashers out there, I'm sure you're all lovely people.)
I'm sure there's flasher accom to be had in SB, closer to the beach, with views, etc. But if you're just after a nice clean place to relax and sleep in Santa Barbara at a very good price, this is a great spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Agave Inn-a Shelter Social Club property is a small 13 room Inn. Free WiFi,continental breakfast,and Ipod players in all rooms. Conveniently located close to Earl Warren Showgrounds, Sansum Clinic, Santa Babara Municipal Golf Course and downtown. We look forward to seeing you soon! While visiting please be sure to check out our restaurant- Sama Sama Kitchen -located in beautiful downtown Santa Barbara! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Agave Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agave Hotel Santa Barbara
- Agave Motel Santa Barbara