“Location, Food, Atmosphere - the perfect UNION” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #217 of 438 restaurants in Santa Barbara
Cuisines: Contemporary
Danville, California
“Location, Food, Atmosphere - the perfect UNION”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had lunch here this week with about 20 friends and family. Lot's of room, food was good, good selection of beers too! Great location to spring out for some wine tasting as it is next to SB Winery and Cork and Bottle tasting rooms. I would definitely put this on my list next time I'm in SB!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

59% Recommend
Solana Beach, California
“Good craft beer selection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Went here to eat lunch and it was ok. Had a burger and an IPA which was local. Went back later in the evening and it was loud and there were drunk people and the bar tender paid no attention to me, seemed he was too busy talking to his drunk friends. I was going to eat dinner but decided to pay for my one beer and go find a more peaceful place to eat!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, cool concept, needs a cashier or a waiter.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

The Union Ale Company is a sort of fast casual style place. I sat at the bar around 6 and ordered a burger and a beer from an overwhelmed bartender. They have a lot of beers on tap (mostly IPA) and solid food. Actually my burger and fries were better than solid, they were top notch. I would have orders another beer, but the bartender was so overwhelmed being the cashier that he totally forgot about me and the rest of the bar. It wasn't his fault.
The whole place orders food and beer from one guy who is also the bartender. he gives you a cone and they bring your food out to you. It's a good idea, but they need another staff member. I overheard other patrons complaining about long waits for food and beer. If he didn't have my credit card I would have made a good guess with some cash and left. I felt for the poor guy. People kept lining up, asking questions and wondering where their food was. With each customer he got a bit more frazzled and short.
Had he had some help I probably would have had another couple beers. The atmosphere is good. It's casual and has a lot of TVs and interesting people. It's a bit pricy for a semi fast burger (25 bucks for a burger and beer) but the food was terrific. If I didn't mind a long wait for service I'd go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thousand Oaks, California
“Pretty good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

On business for a week and I went here for dinner 3 times. Basic bar fare. Sandwiches, burgers and pizza. Sports bar atmosphere. I caught three hockey games. They were very nice to change channel on the TVs for me to watch the games. The only downfall was you had to order everything at the bar. No waiters or waitresses. I think the restaurant would benefit monetarily if you didn't have to get up to order a beer every time. Good choice of local beers on tap. Overall, a good, cheaper place to eat and have a few beers in such an expensive town. Check the hours, because it seemed to close early on weeknights. They literally turned on all the lights right after the games to shoo everyone out.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carlsbad, California
“Great burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice pub in downtown Santa Barbara. We each had a beer and shared a burger. Fun place, good service, good beer and great burger at lunchtime.

Visited October 2012