“Great location & very friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Ayr
“Great location & very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We (wife & 2 sons) spent 4th July here and found it very good. I have to say the room was rather small (from the escape plan map, I think most were bigger) but the location was excellent (just off the main drag) and the staff uniformly friendly and helpful.
Everything was clean and the free breakfast was as good as could be expected.

Room Tip: Better not to be at the front of the hotel - I suspect the rooms could be noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Ashley H,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location for the July 4th holiday! Thank you for the compliments on our service, the staff always appreciates being mentioned in reviews. We hope to see you next time you are in Santa Barbara!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Several of my friends and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, and we had an amazing time. The location is absolutely perfect if you want to go to the beach or hit the bars and restaurants on State St. The rooms were really clean and nice, they have parking, and all of the staff were extremely kind and accommodating. My brother worked with Douglas Anderson at the hotel to book the rooms for our group, and he went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and happy. I will absolutely go back to this hotel, and I encourage anyone else going to Santa Barbara to stay there as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Evan N,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read that we exceeded your expectations. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time to acknowledge our staff. We enjoyed having your group here and invite everyone to stay with us again. Thank you again for your review!
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed one night with two of my children. Their room was fine but my room had a strong urine smell - I would have changed rooms but it was late when we got there and the kids were happy and settled in the room next to me. I don't know if this is a common occurance in this hotel but I had read about it in reviews from other reviewers but had expected that the hotel would have done something about it by the time we got there.
It is well located close to State Street - go there for breakfast as the breakfast at the hotel is very ordinary. And make sure you are happy with the smell of your room before you settle in !

Room Tip: Do the smell test first !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear jeff r,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to State Street. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you that the Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness, and quality of its product. I have spoken to housekeeping about the issue and they will be taking extra measures to assure that it does not happen in the future. We take all reviews positive and negative seriously, and your feedback will help us improve. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Santa Barbara.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara for a Saturday and Sunday night in August. Our experience at this hotel was very disappointing, and we will not be returning. Nor would we recommend this hotel to friends and family.

First, the positives. The hotel's location is amazing. It's right off State Street and easy to get to from the train. We took the train with our two kids (8 and 10) and the walk from the station was easy, even with two rolling suitcases. There are plenty of restaurants around, the beach is several blocks away and easily walkable, and you're right where all the activities are. The room we stayed in was spacious, the beds were comfortable, and everything was clean. Checkin was quick and easy and the staff member that took care of us was friendly, offering us maps and suggestions.

Now the things we didn't like. Our first night's stay was terrible. Exhausted from the day, we were in bed and asleep by 10pm, only to be awoken by a family with several small children directly above us at 11pm. We have kids and we know they' can be loud, so we happily put up with the noise for a good half an hour while the tore around the room and jumped on beds. My wife went out to report the noise at 11:30pm as we needed our sleep. The person at the front desk offered my wife some earplugs and told her he'd take care of it. It wasn't obvious if any action was taken, as the noise continued for another hour. At 12:30pm or so, they finally settled down upstairs.

The next day we were headed to the beach, so we asked at the front desk if they had beach towels to loan out. We were told, no, they don't offer beach towels. Not too big of a surprise as they hotel does not have a pool. When we returned to the hotel in the evening, we asked for extra bath towels (our room was stocked with three, although it was clear there were four of us and we'd asked for towels on our first night). The man at the desk looked around briefly, and said sorry, they only had beach towels available. Either they didn't want to give us beach towels in the morning, or they didn't want to give us two extra towels in the evening – I never could figure that out.

Checkout on Monday was terse, when it finally happened. The front desk was not staffed at 8:30am, displaying a sign saying they'd "be back". A gentleman in front of me had been waiting since we were at breakfast and was helped shortly after I got in line. The person at the desk asked if I needed a receipt and sent me on my way, without asking how our stay was.

For the price we paid for this hotel room, I expected much better service. The staff that bothered to communicate with us was unfriendly and unhelpful. The first night was a terrible experience, with seemingly no action from the hotel staff to notify the family above us. I expect to pay big dollars to stay downtown Santa Barbara, but I also expect a staff that cares enough to help. I certainly won't be returning after the ambivalent attitude of the employees and their unwillingness to help.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear jdboyd777,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that your family was able to take advantage of our downtown location and explore the city.

We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. I will make sure to discuss the noise issues with our security staff and stress the importance of immediate action when responding to complaints. I will also review our amenities with all front desk staff to ensure everyone is aware that we do have beach towels available for guest use. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve.

Again, I'm sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory and we hope that you stay with us again and give us the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and staff. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.
LA, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We take the train to SB a couple of times a year and this has become our favorite place to stay. It's easy walking distance from the train depot even with overnight bags. It's located just far enough off State St to keep out of the noise and traffic. The hotel offers the basics with no pool or other specialties which we never use any ways. They do offer a complimentary breakfast (nothing special but adequate),wine several nights per week, very comfortable beds and functioning windows. The rooms are small but plenty large for my wife and I. There is also a lovely balcony that is not heavily used but nicely appointed. We have sipped wine and enjoyed lunch on the balcony. While we have stayed at several, more upscale hotels in SB this has become our first choice do to price, location and our comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Haley have a better view but rooms above the parking lot are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear mwbohn,
Thank you for your positive review! I'm glad to hear that we are your first choice for accommodation in Santa Barbara. It's wonderful to hear that you were able to take advantage our our newly renovated balcony! Next time you visit the area you should take our complimentary bikes out to explore more of the city.
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel is in a great location just off the main street of Santa Barbara and it has parking. It has a nice feel about it and the rooms and bathroom are a decent size. There is a compliementary breakfast although not as great a variety as other Holiday Inn Express hotels we stayed in as part of our road-trip. The sound-proofing was very disappointing - it felt like our room door was open when anyone walked along the corridor talking at a normal volume. Our room was next to the ice machine which didn't help. Santa Barbara is a great place, very sophisticated with loads of shops, bars and restaurants to entertain you. We would defnitely return to Santa Barbra and would consider staying at this hotel again if we could get a top floor room away from the ice machine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear gftimes2,
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide a positive experience for all guests. I'm happy to hear you took advantage of our location and were able to explore the city. In regards to breakfast we are working on introducing new items to provide even more options to guests. I'm sorry to hear that noise was an issue during your stay. We do have security on property to manage any noise issues as well as a good neighbor policy. We also accept requests from guests for rooms off the street or away from ice and vending machines. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and welcome you to stay with us next time you visit Santa Barbara.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night . The location was amazing ! We were right in the middle of everything, restaurants, bars, and the pier. The room was really comfortable and clean . I would definitely recommend this one to travelers.

• Stayed July 2013
Kim S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Christina569,
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. I agree that our location is ideal for exploring the city! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the room was to your liking. We hope to see you next time you are in the area.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!