“Can't Wait to Go Back!!!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   900 San Ysidro Lane, Santa Barbara, CA 93108   |
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“Can't Wait to Go Back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing getaway this is definitely the place to stay. I went with my boyfriend to Santa Barbara wine country and we stayed here for one night. We stayed in one of the smaller villas and were extremely impressed. The room was immaculate from the canopy bed to the private backyard.

I would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

This was our second stay at the Ranch, and we would definitely return in future. If your getaway goals are relaxation and privacy, I would highly recommend a stay here. We stayed in one of the newly renovated cottages (stayed in a ranch room the first time), and loved it. The cottage was spacious, with a separate bedroom, living area, and expansive bathroom. The private patio area was nice, with lounge chairs, rain shower and spa. All of the amenities were top-notch. The housekeeping services were good; we especially liked the turndown service, where the staff left the room with the fireplace on (gas, not wood), soft music playing, and dim lights --- very romantic. Having a personal parking space right next to the cottage was convenient, and added to the "non-hotel/resort" feel, which was great.

The activity we enjoyed the most on the grounds was the beautiful garden area. In the late afternoon, we just walked out there and enjoyed the peace of sitting amidst the flowers and listening to the birds. The cool breeze from the distant ocean was refreshing.

We went to the Stonehouse restaurant and the bistro downstairs. The food was very good; in fact, the best meal I had during our stay in the Santa Barbara area was at the Stonehouse (halibut). My husband liked the casual vibe of the bistro more than the slightly more formal setting of the Stonehouse.

A couple of negatives: the fitness room is very small, with only two treadmills, one elliptical machine and one stationary bike, all placed in a small room. However, with the beautiful hiking trails in the area, you don't really need to use the fitness room anyway. Also, the only on-site option for breakfast is calling room service --- it would have been nice if there was a small cafe on-site.

Stayed May 2007
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I spent this past weekend at San Ysidro Ranch. We decided to go with a junior suite, and it was perfect for us. The room was nice with a comfortable bed and pillows, a fireplace, a flat screen TV which was inset into the wall, and a DVD player. It also had a refrigerator with complimentary drinks and snacks. On day 2, we asked for more drinks, which they brought us immediately. My husband thought the drinks/snacks should be replenished without us having to ask, considering the daily rate of the room, but I didn't mind.

The best part was the bathroom and patio. There was a glass enclosed shower in the bathroom, with a door that led to an outside shower. My husband loved the outside rain shower . And on the patio, there was a hot tub with jets, which we used quite a lot. Of course, there was a bathtub in the bathroom as well, but we didn't use it. I only wished the room had a chest of drawers somewhere. I like to unpack my clothes, and though there was a closet with some shelf space, it wasn't the same as having a dresser.

The grounds are beautiful. I loved the vegetable and herb garden (what they call the chef's garden) and the flower garden. The terraced effect is quite nice. We used their fitness center one day. It's not much. The equipment could stand to be updated. The pool looked nice and inviting. You could see the steam rising off of it, but we used our hot tub instead. One day, we went on a hike, and they provided us with a backpack, waters and a trail map. That was nice. The cookies by the front desk are good. And we enjoyed the wine and cheese reception they had. We didn't eat at either of the restaurants, so I can't comment on that.

We asked to take a look at a cottage for future reference, but they said that they were all booked. We agreed that if we were going to go again, we would probably save some money and stay in the junior suite again. We're the type of people who are out and about during the day, so we don't really need extra living space. But the pictures of the cottage did look nice.

We also liked the fact that everyone has their own parking space. Getting your car in and out of valet is kind of a pain, so it's nice not to have to bother with that. There was one night when we came back and our spot had been taken by another car. Guest Services took care of it immediately. They had us park at the reception area, drove us to our room in a golf cart, had us leave our car keys with them, and then returned our keys once it was sorted out. It was an inconvenience, but they handled it well.

Now, for some negatives. These things didn't lessen our enjoyment, but I thought I should mention them. The hot tub light and the light on the back patio didn't work. That was fine because there was enough light from the room to light the patio. Also, the heated floors in the bathroom never worked. They brag about that a bit, so it was kind of funny that they didn't work. We told them these things when we checked out. We told them that we weren't complaining, but that we thought they should know. It wasn't important enough for us to have them fixed when we were there. We did have someone come and fix our AC. It was blowing out air but not cooling the room. We called them as we were leaving for dinner. By the time, we came back, it had been fixed.

The other thing that we didn't mention but did strike us as inconsistent with the level of the resort was the housekeeping. On our first day, we came back from dinner at about 8:30 pm. They hadn't done the turn down. The front desk called us at 8:45 pm asking us if we wanted it, but we were settled in, watching a movie by that time, so we said forget it. The next day, they came by at 5:30 pm. We were getting ready to leave for dinner, so they said they would come back in an hour. We came back from dinner at 9 pm, and housekeeping hadn't been there. We called and asked for turn down service and for more drinks. They came then. I just thought it was odd for a hotel of this level to be inconsistent about it - maybe they were short-staffed? It wasn't a big deal, but we definitely noticed it.

Oh, and one other change I would make. There is a door from the back patio of the suite to the outside. There's no lock on that door. That made me a bit nervous because I was a bit concerned that someone would walk in when I was using the outside shower which faced the door. All the doors on the outside look the same, so it wasn't inconceivable. It wasn't a big deal, but it would be nice for peace of mind. Plus, we often used that door to go to reception, which was recommended by the guy who showed us our room because it is a shorter route. However, that means that we have to leave the bathroom doors leading to the patio unlocked because we can't lock them from the outside. I guess I'm just paranoid, but I didn't like that idea, especially since there is a public path that goes through the resort.

As some other reviewer said, we thought the whole guard by the gate was kind of funny. The funny thing is that by the restaurant is a street where there is no gate. And in fact, there's a sign saying it's a public trail. So anyone can enter from the other side of the resort, which makes the front guard thing a bit unnecessary, in my opinion.

Unlike some of the other reviewers, we didn't have any problems with the staff. Everyone was quite nice and friendly. We also didn't have any problems with construction noise. We did see that up by the pool they were doing construction, but because we were at the bottom of the resort, we weren't affected at all.

All in all, we had a great, relaxing time. We would definitely go again. It's pricey, but it's a nice getaway, and close enough to Santa Barbara to be convenient.

• Liked — The grounds, remote but accessible, the private hot tub and outside shower
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

My husband and I loved SYR so much during our honeymoon that we went back for our first anniversary. While the renovations were gorgeous, the service was lacking. Because of that, I think we vastly enjoyed our stay more during the construction than afterwards.

The first night we got there, the hot water was not working in the shower. That actually didn't bother me at all. It happens. What bothered me was the way we were treated by the front desk. After dinner, we stopped by the front desk to report the problem. The person helping us didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. Instead she talked to us like either we had broken it ourselves or we were just idiots who didn't know how to turn on the hot water. Given that we were paying about $900 per night, I don't think that was an appropriate reaction. Had we provoked this women by being overly demanding or upset, I would be more inclined to understand her tone. However, we were quite the opposite of upset. In fact, we told the maintenance man to come back the next morning because we didn't feel that it was urgent.

We were both a little shocked by the way we were treated. The last time we were there, everyone was so nice and accommodating. It's one of the main reasons why we thought it was worth the money to come back.

The incident colored the rest of the weekend. The place was full and there was always someone around. Last time we were there, we saw maybe one other couple once a day.

I would not recommend going on the weekend and paying full price. I would probably also wait until the new staff became more seasoned.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

An incredibly beautiful property, location, cottages, service, and food !

The San Ysidro Ranch delivers everything that their website offers and more.

Genuine luxury, taste, elegance and comfort in every well-thought out detail.

What a pleasure it is to stay here -- and to eat here !

Worth every penny.

If there was such a thing as a six star rating, they would have earned it...

Can't wait to come back...

• Liked — Incredibly high quality and attention to detail. Everything is pristine and luxurious !
  • Stayed April 2007
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

I love the remodeled San Ysidro Ranch. Construction and the noise that goes with it should be done by June.

The property and its gardens are utterly lovely. Cottage accomodations are exquisite, with every possible amenity provided.

I happen to like the gas fireplaces with the large stone hearths flanked by comfortable easy chairs, and actually prefer them over wood.

In agreement with the other guests who have commented about this, I do strongly recommend that they open the Stonehouse restaurant for breakfast and lunch as soon as possible.

Currently it is only open for dinner.

If Ty Warner/Rosewood wants to consider themselves a stellar property in every way, this expensive Relais & Chateaux needs to have breakfast and lunch at the Stonehouse for their guests.

Room service for breakfast isn't enough, no matter how beautifully served.

• Liked — The luxurious cottages, and amenities, and excellent customer service
  • Disliked — Only room service for breakfast !
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

This was my second stay, the previous visit taking place while the property was part of Relais et Chateaux. What a difference a change in management - in this case to Rosewood - makes.

The good stuff: it continues to be tucked high in the hills and comprised entirely of cottages, a setting that would seem to be ideal for privacy and discreet service. The restaurant has been rebuilt and (at last!) reopened. The gardens are as spectacular as ever, as are the walks, the view to the ocean, and the hilltop pool and fitness centre. Guest accommodations are gorgeous: cottages are either brand new or newly renovated with a high fence and both a front and back stone deck, the latter having a hot tub and limestone outdoor shower. The bedroom had hardwood floors, a peaked wooden ceiling, sumptuous bed, flat screen television, DVD, fireplace. The bathroom was huge and had a twin sinks, a claw foot tub, glass enclosed shower with its own glass door to the outdoor shower, and heated floors.

And yet … my first clue that something might be amiss was an email shortly after making the reservation from a “Revenue Manager” concerning dinner and spa treatments. That seemed like an odd public title for someone who presumably works in guest relations. After clearing the security checkpoint (which seemed like an odd cross between L.A. and the Third World) to enter the hotel, we were met on the driveway by what seemed like a veritable honor guard of front desk staff. They had obviously been through this drill before based on the positions they assumed on the front steps. The room contained a complimentary tray of snacks and water; very nice, except that it wasn't replenished, not even the coffee! The room itself was gorgeous but, despite its size, didn’t have a comfortable chair. The fireplace was gas rather than wood. Gas is, of course, popular because it is convenient and efficient; a hotel that purports to offer a vision of rural luxury might keep that in mind and use wood fireplaces along with availability of staff to make a fire. The bathroom looked a lot like something out of a Restoration Hardware fantasy. I like Restoration Hardware, but where is the originality in putting that look in a property where the starting room rate hovers close to $800?

The big letdown of the place is that it has an endless buzz, both literal and figurative. There was no warning that construction would begin early in the morning. A hotel that purports to be of this calibre is well advised to remain closed during construction rather than subject its guests to that level of disturbance or, at least not book guests into the cottages closes to the construction. That was followed by the surprise that the restaurant is not open for breakfast. Room service was available but, at this price level, guests deserve an option; this guest prefers to eat in a restaurant. The dining room looked much as I remembered it and, although the food at dinner was good, it was nothing close to the level it previously attained. The service was ruinously buzzy. I wondered if we should give in and include the phalanx of service staff in the dinner conversation.

Security was annoyingly and highly visible. There were frequent visitors on golf carts asking if we wanted turndown, more towels, etc. My experience of properties at this point on the price spectrum is that those things happen unbidden, silently and unseen. The evidence of the undoubtedly impressive staff/guest ratio was memorialized by clear garbage bags left in front of cottages containing yet more towels, more robes etc. The low point came when my partner, who is an early riser, saw the morning newspapers dropped at the gate to the cottage, which was immediately followed by the sprinkler system being turned on thereby ruining the newspapers.

Bottom line: if you are going to spend big money, go elsewhere, at least until they get the construction finished and the service in order. Until then, I'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property? Share your experiences!