“Charming, luxurious hideaway. Ultimate relaxation.” 5 of 5 stars

San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   900 San Ysidro Lane, Santa Barbara, CA 93108   |
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“Charming, luxurious hideaway. Ultimate relaxation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was the most overall, truly relaxing stay I’ve had anywhere.

It was an unplanned 2 night stop at the end of our weeklong drive down the pacific coast highway. I knew of the place from tripadvisor, but it didn’t fully appeal to me in photos. Photos do not do this place justice.

It’s understated but luxurious beginning with the olive-tree lined pavered drive past the guard station to your own cottage which has every luxury needed. Think outdoor shower and hot tub. From the hot tub I watched hummingbirds frolic in the flowers above me. Very private front and back outdoor space with seating. Radiant heated floors in your HUGE, sunny bathroom, a gas fireplace, canopy bed, small dining table for your room service orders available 24/7. There were several little special surprises left in our cottage as well. My favorite was the fresh herb and rose cuttings they left for us around the room and hot tub. I still have a piece of rosemary I took when I left. Life is just better when things smell good.

We didn’t ask for any room type in particular but were shown to what I think is considered a Jr. suite. We found out after the fact that it was $100 more than the least expensive room type, but included a $100 food credit. And I do believe we had a mid-week price reduction. We stayed in Outlook. They even brought our car from the front desk, after taking us to our room in a golf cart.

Things to know: no actual spa, treatments are done in your cottage. We had a wonderful experience with this. Breakfast and lunch seemed to only be available via room service while we were there. You’re at the base of a mountain, with no panoramic views—but our cottage was covered in, and surrounded by herbs, flowers, and vines and was like a Garden of Eden. There are hiking trails around the property as well. Dogs are welcome and had their own room service menu. (Not being a dog owner, I did not smell or see dog hair anywhere either!) Lovely. I could live here.

Room Tip: Get a cottage with a hot tub. I believe you'll be happier with the overall cottage size too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Savannah, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went to a wedding at SanYsidro Ranch and what a wonderful experience. The ranch is absolutely beautiful, immaculate in every way. The gardens are everywhere and perfectly maintained. The buildings are charming with cottages nestled into the landscape affording a most private stay. The wedding was out on the lawn between gardens and fruit trees. There is even a rather formal vegetable garden. We were shuttled up to the top of the hill to a lavish tent for the reception. The view was spectacular, the food delicious and the staff very accommodating. If you are looking for a once in a lifetime location for a wedding or just a luxurious getaway this is hard to beat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
esher, surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

As part of our California tour we stayed at San Ysidro for 3 nights. We paid a lot of money for a Creek cottage but were definitely not disappointed. The cottage was spacious and had a lovely patio garden with hot tub, loungers and a table and chairs. It was no hardship spending time there! There are complimentary soft drinks and snacks included which are replenished daily along with tea and coffee. The grounds and gardens are beautifully kept and generally staff are really friendly. With the exception of the female greeters at the Stonehouse restaurant that is. I'm not quite sure what their problem is but they definitely have one. Some of the waiting staff were also a bit snotty but every other member of staff that we came into contact with was friendly and helpful. I know that they have their fair share of high profile guests but all guests should be treated the same in my view. Much as we loved the place would we stay there again? Not sure.

Room Tip: Creek cottages are amazing
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I just did 2 nights at the San Ysidro Ranch and had a great time - we really loved the hotel. First, the property is just beautiful - very well maintained and peaceful, such pretty gardens everywhere. The pool is also very beautiful and quite if you are looking for some relaxing. We had one of the normal rooms (not a separate cottage) and we still thought it was great - had a very pretty 4 poster bed, a gas fireplace and a pretty patio to sit out and have drinks or breakfast. The food and restaurants were also great - breakfast is delivered to your room every morning with the newspapers and the restaurants for dinner were perfect too. We ate on the large patio outside of Plough and Hearth and thought it was one of the prettiest dining ambiances we had ever had - you sit underneath trees that are all lit up by white Christmas lights - very gorgeous. Another plus for San Ysidro is that the town of Montecito is adorable - we rented bikes and rode around and went down there for lunch and dinner a few times. Its a really cute town. All in all - you won't be disappointed with San Ysidro Ranch!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Usually I don't bother to write reviews, but our recent stay in the Kennedy Cottage of San Ysidro Ranch was so outstanding, it commands one!

A spectacular yet secluded setting, with overboarding, rich and luscious gardens, as the backdrop for World class yet understated accommodations. Old World charm at its best - we just loved the Kennedy Cottage;)

We experienced such an attentive and flawless, but most of all personal service. Both in our cottage, be it for breakfast on the terrace, or for the spa treatment in the setting of your private room, or for dinner in the excellent Stonehouse Restaurant on the property.

We felt very pampered and the whole experience was very relaxing.

An excellent World leading hotel with understated Old World charm and an impeccable, personal and amicable service made this a stay we will not forget. And we look forward to many more returns!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a property that I have always wanted to visit. I finally made reservations through a 3rd party to stay for 5 nights in one of the less expensive rooms with an upgrade when available and a continental breakfast every morning.

My room had to be the smallest one there. It was not a single cottage, but in a courtyard of 6 rooms connected in one structure. My room was, quite honestly, claustraphobic. There was no reading chair, only two wooden straight chairs that looked like they were from my grandmother's house. There were two very small windows facing the courtyard and another window and door facing the patio. The patio was no bigger than 6 x 10 feet with a 6 foot fence around it, again claustrophobic. The closet was only 12 inches wide and with the bathrobes on hangers there was only about 6 inches to hang my clothes. There were no drawers to put any clothes away, so I had to live out of my suitcase. The bathroom had only one sink and shampoos and conditioner were not replenished every day. The complimentary snacks were also replenished only every other day.

The first morning breakfast arrived on time--orange juice, a basket of pastries and coffee. The second day, the kitchen forgot, and I had to call to have it brought over. One night I put the "do not disturb pillow on the door" to find that housekeeping knocked around 7:30. Apparently someone, probably the neighboring guests, had taken the pillow. I asked for a new one to hang out, since I was on East Coast time. They said they would deliver a new one; they never did.

My fourth evening I was down in the "lobby" reading a newspaper. I kept hearing guests checking in with the greeting, "We are upgrading you to...." Part of the arrangements with my reservation included an upgrade. I went to the desk. They said they would check with the manager. At 8 pm, they said they would upgrade me to a little larger room, but that they could only upgrade me within my "tier." At 8 pm who wants to repack and move their suitcases in the dark? And I had only one more night to stay.

The gardens in this property are lovely and very well taken care of. The flowers are abundant and the scenery stunning, so kudos to the gardeners and landscaping staff. The room, however, that I had for $650 a night was not worth more than $450 and the front desk staff were snobby and unhelpful.

I will never stay here again. It is overpriced and pretentious. If you want to pay $2000 to $5000 a night then you may be pleased. I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world, and I have never had to pay that much for a much more pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The grounds and cottages are amazing. I just wish I had listened to earlier reviewers about the ongoing construction close by during the week (check out the 1 star reviews). It would have been totally worth the cost had there not been jackhammering right next door to the property. The denial and lack of compensation by staff and management for such an obvious disturbance was condescending and left us feeling ripped off. There are palatial estates surrounding the property and I imagine there will be continued noise for years to come. Guest should be informed of the possibility of construction noise during the week. While there are some discounts offered for a midweek stay, I would have gone else where for the many $$$$ it still cost us, had I known this was the case. It is really a shame that this situation has to take away from an otherwise perfect retreat but it should definately be something one should consider before booking. If you don't mind listening to back up beepers or can go on the weekend, it is an exceptional property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanysidroranch, Other at San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
We do indicate on our website that our neighbor is making some changes to their property. We are sorry that you were disturbed as we normally offer a room move to alleviate any concerns. We have made a notation in our Guest History.

San Ysidro Ranch Team

Been to San Ysidro Ranch, a Ty Warner Property? Share your experiences!