“Great value and location” 5 of 5 stars

West Beach Inn
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   306 West Cabrillo Blvd, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in Santa Barbara
New Jersey
“Great value and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

We booked this hotel after reading the other positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Stayed two nights with two teenage daughters and we all loved it. The bathrooms were nicely appointed and clean. A tad small but fine. Rooms were very spacious and beds were awesome. Pool and jacuzzi a hit with all of us. Very nice continental breakfast for something quick. Convenient location if you want to walk to State St. with all the shops. Would definately stay again.

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
la
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

For a more reasonable price, it would've been average, or even a bit above, but at the price we paid, it did not deliver so I have to say it was below average. We paid extra for a balcony, but the view was mostly of a parking lot and there was a lot of street noise, so it didn't work out to be much of a benefit. Also, there were "safety" lights that lit up the patio and stayed on all night, which meant we could not keep the curtains open to enjoy any ocean breezes that might reach the room. The breakfast was nice but the breakfast room was...well, there was no breakfast room, just a few tables crammed together in the lobby. The food was ok but served with small plastic plates and forks, which I think is tacky when you're paying upwards of $300 a night and shows utter disregard for the environment. I see all these good reviews and I wonder why. It annoys me again at how cheated I felt. I did write a letter to voice my concerns and got a snippy answer that they felt justified in charging their prices because they thought they were cheaper than most SB hotels. I guess they believe that, but I don't know if it's true. I am annoyed that I paid luxury prices for a nicely appointed motel room. I am envious if you have a better experience at a more reasonable price.

• Liked — The room was nicely furnished, good bed
  • Disliked — Luxury prices for motel experience
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Stockton, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I picked this hotel based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed! We had booked two single queen rooms (2 nights); one room for I and my boyfriend and another for his father who is wheelchair bound. The customer service was wonderful. They even offered the handicapped room, when they noticed our father was in a wheelchair. (However that room is more expensive and with a kitchen, etc. We decided not to take it, due to the extra expense and extra space we didn’t need.) The gals at the desk were very nice and accommodating. They even called our taxi’s for us. We were pleasantly surprised by our hotel rooms. Our room was updated with modern decor, which was quite impressive. The bathroom sink area had granite countertops and upgraded faucets. Plus, each room had flat screen tv's! Very classy looking, very clean. We stayed in room numbers 204 and 210. Both rooms on the second floor and both garden suites. (They have a small elevator, also.) The garden grounds were beautiful! Beautiful palm trees, shrubs and flowers....lot's of birds singing...it was very relaxing! There’s even a lounging area on the second floor outside of the rooms where you could sunbathe or just read a book, while enjoying the great view of the gardens and ocean too. (We could see the ocean from outside the door of the 204 room.) The beds were very comfortable and the pillows were perfect! We slept wonderfully! After housekeeping they even leave little chocolate squares at your bedside, which was a nice little touch!! Both rooms are small, but the modern decor really made up for it in my opinion. They did a great job on decorating the rooms, from the modern lamps to the modern artwork on the walls, (which were nicely framed), even to the bedspread. It was like looking at a magazine. Each room came with two complimentary bottles of water. (Additional bottles cost $3/each, so just walk to the 7/11 close by and stock up, because there's also a small fridge in each room.) They have a heated pool and spa, with extra pool towels near the pool area for convenience. (So don’t bother bringing your hotel towels.) The pool and spa area was very clean and a lot of fun! They do offer a generous continental breakfast every morning, which included wonderful assortment of pastries (croissants, fruit danishes, muffins, coffee cake), yogurt, fruit, bagels, coffee, juices, etc. Much better assortment than any hotel we’ve been to. Plus, they offer fresh fruit and coffee throughout the entire day. The hotel is not far from State Street, which is where all the exciting stuff is! (Don’t miss seeing the Dog, Cat, and mouse all sleeping on each other!) If I were to give any advice to this hotel, I would recommend replacing the floor tile in the bathrooms. The tile is such that it looks dirty, due to the texture on it—it’s probably hard to clean. Only other recommendation is to include at lease 1 or 2 folding luggage stands, since there’s not a lot of space in the room, we had to place our luggage on the two guest chairs. I would have loved the extra room to sit down and make calls to future destinations, etc. Overall, I suggest staying at this hotel! It was a really great stay, definitely worth it! I would stay there again!

• Liked — Modern decor, beds, pillows
  • Disliked — dirty looking bathroom tile floor
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

We used the Santa Barbara free travel agency at hotspotsusa.com to book this hotel. We called them the morning of our stay and we were happy with our room. The pool and hot tub were clean, there's always fresh fruit and coffee, they have towels for the pool and even a cabana you can use if you're checking in early or want to use the pool after checkout. Flat screen TV in room, little refrigerator, clean room, small but adequate. Bathroom not fancy but modern enough. We had second floor garden view but also could see the marina. Nice sitting tables in the garden and ample free parking.

• Liked — location, cleanliness, pool
  • Disliked — fancier shower/ bath?
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Encinitas, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

Sorry everyone - this is an OK property, really, but I left here with a bad taste in my mouth. I know SB is pricey, so was not put off by the high room rate here due to it's location near the harbor/beach. I had a two-night stay in March while visiting friends. At first I liked it, but by the time I left, I knew I would not return - there are nicer properties in this price range. At first, I was impressed by the nicely rennovated room, with its generous size and near-new furnishings and decor. I paid top dollar for a harborview room, and was not disappointed by the view or location at the top floor of a 3-story structure (there is an elevator). It's an easy walk to the Harbor and Stearn's wharf. The hot tub was nicely maintained and HOT, which is nice. Now comes the bad: there was no refrierator in my room, although this was advertised as an amenity (there was a space for it, but I guess I would have to call to request one?) The breakfast was OK, but the lobby area cannot possibly accomodate the number of guests staying here. If the two tables inside are taken, you have to sit outdoors (it can be quite chilly in the AM). They only had whole milk for cereal, no low or non-fat. What dissappointed me the most (which is ironic, as I am not a wine enthusiast) was their wine and cheese hour, which I decided to try. Hint to management: if you're going to offer food and wine to your guests, it should be something you'd be willing to serve in your own home. The wine they served was so bad it nearly made me gag. Two-buck Chuck would have been a HUGE improvement. Offering free swill is a tremendous insult to your guests-- you'd really be better off not offering wine at all. Here's an idea - put out an honor jar for $$, buy some cheap drinkable wine, and let people serve themselves on an honor system.

• Liked — Location near harbor
  • Disliked — d'uh, the wine
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Excellent location across the road from the beech and marina in Santa Barbara. The bedroom was lovely but the bathroom was very small and did not have any extractor fan. There is a small pool and jacuzzi but the water in the pool was dirty. The breakfast was very poor and in all we felt that this hotel was overpriced.

• Liked — View from bedroom
  • Disliked — Bathroom and breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

We visited Santa Barbara for Spring Break and when searching for a nice place to stay The West Beach Inn was recommended to us. We stayed in a suite that was very spacious and offered a separate bedroom as well as a kitchen. Our family looked forward to the cheese and wine reception each night by the pool. The beach was right across the street with easy access. We have friends that live in nearby Carpinteria and Santa Barbara. They said that the beach is very safe as well as nearby State Street. We had teenage girls with us and so that was very important. They walked on the beach, rode bikes and always felt safe. Because of the location of The West Beach Inn we walked to most of the restaurants nearby both on the pier and at the wharf.
Overall we had a great time and enjoyed our vacation in Santa Barbara.

• Liked — The size of the room with the separate bedroom and pull out bed in livingroom. The kitchen and diningroom. Perfect for a family of 4 and big enough to have friends visit.
  • Disliked — The room had 1 bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to West Beach Inn? Share your experiences!