“Just got back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 61 hotels in Santa Barbara
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Just got back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband was here for a week of work meetings. So I was able to tag along. I thought thought it was great. We had had a bad experience in our travels and after traveling for 25 hours, we were finally able to get in. The night time gentlemen got us into a room, fairly quick. However our reservations were messed up somehow and he was still able to accommodate us. The next morning after our reservation had been cleared, we were upgraded to the room we initially had been given b/c of the reservation issue. So it worked out well for us. I was able to sit on our patio every morning and do my "sunning" fairly privately. It was great! The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of April 2013 for Spring Break. I made reservations ahead of time through Expedia and got a relatively good price.

The property is located across the street from the marina and diagonal to West Beach. We were able to walk to the beach portion in about 3 minutes and Stearns Wharf (shopping, dining) in about 10 minutes. We also walked up State Street to get to more shopping and dining (about 15 minutes) although I would not recommend that at night.

The hotel was very comforatable. We did the free continental breakfast each morning (nice to sit by the pool for breakfast!) We also went to the wine and cheese thing one or two nights (5-7pm.) The room was cleaned very well and always done before we returned to our room by 4 or 5pm.

The only issue we had while here was that on two separate days the guests upstairs from us were running some kind of chimpanzee circus in their room each morning. However, when I called the front desk they were very helpful and the loud noises stopped a few minutes later.

The hotel has no restaurant, but Sambo's is a few-minute walk for breakfast and lunch and other restaurants are walkable within 15 minutes.

I really liked the grounds of this hotel - lots of tropical flowers and greenery. I highly recommend the property and if we're in Santa Barbara again, this is where we'll stay. It was nice, relaxing and attractive to look at and walk around.

Other notes: The Amtrak station is walkable to this hotel via State Street. It is about a 10-15 minute walk.

Activities/places we did while we were here and would recommend: Santa Barbara Mission, SB Botanic Garden, West Beach, Stearns Wharf, State Street, Carpinteria Beach, UCSB (biked it), Arroyo Burro Beach, Solvang

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
O'Fallon, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very nice and helpful. We had a great view of the harbor. Close to everything.. free breakfast and wine and cheese pairing in the evening. Also free parking. Within walking distance to the wharf. We would end each evening on the balcony with a glass of wine.

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here one night after a long (post-St. Patrick's hangover) drive from Monterey. The front desk staff were friendly and checked me in quickly. They informed me of the continental breakfast and offered some opinions on where I could eat dinner.

The breakfast the next morning was nothing fancy, but definitely sufficient. They had bagels, bread, etc. with cream cheese and jam, cereal, yogurt, pastries with juice, tea and coffee.

I received a "courtyard" room, which I thought was great; off Cabrillo so it's quiet, overlooking the courtyard, but still with a semi-view of the beach and ocean. The rooms are dated, but clean and quiet. My bathroom was a little musty, and after I showered I could see why. While I didn't feel like I had an overly vigorous shower, there was about a gallon of water on the floor when I was done. Crappy shower curtains aside, I thought the place was terrific.

I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Overlook the courtyard with a view of the ocean; 101-112 or 210-212
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The room itself was MUCH smaller than I had imagined it (barely bigger than the bed) but nice accessories in the room and little touches like the dark & milk chocolates, bright green bed comforter, marble bathroom counter, upscale complimentary toiletries, etc.
There were teenagers hanging out in the jacuzzi on Friday night until almost 11pm so we didn't get a chance to use it.
The wine & cheese reception from 5-7 was great! They also offered water, fruit and coffee in the lobby - at any time of day. The "continental breakfast" was just that plus packets of instant oatmeal, orange juice and some boxed cereal - we ate at Sambo's about a block down the road which was much better.
Our room was about $200-210 including taxes, for a Friday night when Jerry Seinfeld was in town, performing at the Arlington Theatre. We booked this hotel through Travelocity for the best rate, and the Front Desk said they do honor a AAA discount but only on weekdays.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor in a Garden Suite - room 204. The window to the hallway outside was nowhe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This Was our first stay at the west beach in. And we are definitely looking forward to coming back very soon. The staff is very friendly, helpful and incredibly service oriented. The only complaint, if I could even call it that is, the wine they served for their free happy hour in the evenings is less then tasty. But that is an easy fix because there are so many great wineries in walking distance to the hotel so go pick yourself up a bottle of your favorite and bring it back to the hotel, Grab a lounge chair by the pool or hot tub and enjoy the view of the beach across the street!

• Stayed March 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our son attends UC Santa Barbara and we have stayed at several properties within the vicinity of Santa Barbara. This property will definitely become our " go-to" lodgings choice when visiting him. A smaller, Santa Barbara-feel hotel the WBI is a great value. The property overall is well- maintained. Intimate pool area, accessible free parking, and within walking distance to the pier and State Street. The inn is just across the street from West Beach. The rooms are renovated and the bed was very comfortable. Decent offerings of a continental style breakfast and wine and cheese in the p.m. The staff was very friendly. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: One building faces Cabrillo. I stayed in the 2-story building and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to West Beach Inn? Share your experiences!