“Clean + friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 61 hotels in Santa Barbara
san francisco, ca
“Clean + friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this based on positive tripadvisor reviews, and it was exactly how others described it: clean room w/fridge (no microwave), nice bathroom (hairdryer tucked in bottom cabinet), friendly staff. Please note that all rooms have doors facing outside, so light sleepers like me who like to sleep in might be woken up by ppl talking, housekeeping carts, kids bouncing balls, etc. At night it's pretty quiet (I unplugged the fridge). This hotel is pet-free, which is great for me, since I have allergies. There's a big park across the street, and the marina is steps away. I used this room as a jumping off point to area beaches (refugio, carpinteria, arroyo burro), so I didn't explore town at all. From the tourist map, it looks like a typical beach tourist town. The closest beach I'd recommend is Arroyo Burro; there's a restaurant there too, but I didn't eat there. There's an Albertson's near by (7 min. driving) on Cliff Rd.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

For a brief visit to Santa Barbara one weekend, I needed a place that, preferably, had two bedrooms & after looking at the past reviews of this property I was convinced the Castillo Suite would suit my needs.
It did not disappoint. I was completely satisfied by this place. The property's largest room is essentially a 2 bedroom apartment with a nice modern bath and a very nice, well appointed kitchen. The pricing of this large suite was comparable to regular rack rate rooms at nearby hotels. Internet was included, as was a modest breakfast. No additional resort fees... thank you management!
I feel this small, boutique Inn offers excellent value for the money and would highly recommend it for my fellow tripadvisor travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This review is long overdue as we stayed there last November (2012) - but - it was such a nice experience the hotel is still on my mind.
What was amazing to me is we had just checked out of the St. Regis in Monarch Beach before arriving... this charming hotel was just as nice, clean, and stocked as the St. Regis! Obviously the Castillo Inn is not going to be as spacious as a luxury resort - but they made the best use of the space in the room to make sure we had everything we needed to stay comfortably.
I'm big on bathrooms, and this one was clean, and you could tell thought was put into making sure the guest felt comfortable.
They have a complimentary breakfast you can pick up in the lobby each morning - again the thoughtfulness shows - it is just the right amount, quality, and selection for most tastes.
I'm not going to post any photos as we stayed in the upstairs room with the balcony and the photos the Castillo Inn posted are honest and let us know exactly what to expect - so no need to post my own.
The owner was also very friendly and made sure to take great, considerate care of the guests.
Did I mention, you can't beat the price for the quality?
Thank you Castillo Inn at the Beach for making our stay there a fond memory :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel was clean, charming and very reasonably priced. Definitely a good value for the Santa Barbara area, which can be pricy. All rooms have a cute little patio and the continental breakfast was quite nice for that sort of thing. The staff was very friendly and we had a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one night in march and were very happy with the place. When you first arrive the parking lot seems a bit small but if you reserve your room you are guaranteed a space. The staff are all nice and tbe manager was nice enough to give us a tourist map of all the good spots nearby. The room was spacious, clean and had some charming decor. The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was a little small but powerful and great to soak in. The patio was semi private and relaxing. The bed was good, however the towels could be a little softer. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and would reccomend it to anyone travelling the area.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed there last night based on TA reviews.......it exceeded our expectations. The location is perfect.....the rooms are very comfortable with all the nice amenities and the staff very friendly and helpful.......add to that, the price is very reasonable for SB. We were lucky to get a reservation a few days ahead as they are normally fully booked.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My trip to California started with a four day stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego in a $500 a night suite that my wife's company paid for.
Then we headed up the coast to San Francisco on my dime. I would never pay $500 a night to sleep, but my wife has become accustomed to a certain level of accommodation, so it is always a challenge to match my budget with her expectations.
The Castillo Inn made us both happy. When we pulled up she slightly snickered at the Motel appearance, but as we entered a spacious, incredibly clean room, I knew I had her (never told her the room was below $130 a night)
This Hotel is conveniently located, the Manager is very friendly and accommodating and in a city of incredibly high prices, this is truly a great bargain.
Highly recommended....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Castillo Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!