“Very nice accommodation at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Castillo Inn at the Beach
22 Castillo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #6 of 60 hotels in Santa Barbara
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice accommodation at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This friendly motel, which is close to the waterfront, offers comfortable, very well furnished units at a reasonable price. The continental breakfast was also fine; to get a bigger breakfast, it is a short walk to Sambo’s, where a full breakfast menu is served.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

455 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Castillo Inn. The location is ideal, close to the beach, restaurants and downtown shopping. Our room was spotlessly clean and very quiet; the bed was comfortable, the towels were soft. The breakfast was very good: fresh scones and muffins, fruit, juice and coffee. There is a nice park across the street which leads to great jogging/walking trails. Dan gave us wonderful service (even personally delivered an extra decaf coffee pack to our room and found my husband's lost jacket). This place is a gem, especially considering the economical room prices.

Room Tip: Get a room with a king bed. The queen bed we had seemed a little on the small side.
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a large clean room with king size bed, small frig, sofa and chair in sitiing area, a desk and a patio. The bath was small but nicely appointed. Our room rate of $100 included a continental breakfast. The coffee was very good and there was a good selection of pastries, muffins, juices, bottled green teas, and fresh fruit. There is self parking, no valet (It is a small property) included in the room rate. The location is an easy walk, 2 blocks from the Santa Barbara Pier. It would be a pretty long walk to State Street, but if you like to walk it wouldn't be a problem.

I also selected this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and the rate. Probably considering the rate and the clean and spacious room I should rate it Excellent. I think the location might be too far away from the State Street area for many people. Also although we didn't miss a pool as we were too busy sightseeing,a hot tub would have been nice in the evening. So I left at very good.

I would definitely stay here again.

When we arrived we noticed homeless people in the park across the street. As it turned out there are homeless people on State Street as well. We didn't feel threatened, but what to warn other visitors in case this is a concern.

Ridgecrest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Having patronized the Castillo Inn at the Beach for nearly 20 years, we can say it more than meets our needs as a clean, very conveniently located and great value motel in a lovely city. The staff, always accommodating and friendly, want your stay to be comfortable. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, with refrigerators. Extra added attraction-----it's quiet !!

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very decent motel-style hotel, with helpful manager Dan who was always there if you had any questions. The Castillo Inn is just a block from the beach/harbor/pier and a 10-minute stroll away from downtown (State St). Our room (24) was spacious enough and had a jacuzzi, comfortable bed, sitting area and patio. Small continental breakfast is complimentary and very nice start of the day (you take it back to your room).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was visiting Santa Barbara just for the weekend for a friends' wedding. When searching for 'reasonable' hotel rates, it was quite a challenge. After searching online, I decided to check out reviews on Trip Advisor and found great reviews about the Catillo Inn - and once again, Trip Advisor came through. The Castillo Inn is a small little boutique hotel/motel that delivers on personal service and charm. The rooms, first off, are very clean (my TOP priority behind the price), large with windows on both sides with shutters for privacy and beautifully updated bathrooms. The furnishings are cozy and warm and comfortable. Even though I missed my ergonomic bed at home, my bed at the Catillo Inn was super comfy! My room was right beside a road but I never once heard traffic. The area is a mix of small little inns and private residences so you really don't have any congested traffic areas. Dan, the owner/manager, was exceptionally polite and after the initial check-in always addressed me by name when I came in. Every encounter with him from making my reservation to check out was positive. In the mornings, Castillo Inn does offer coffee/tea along with fruit and muffins/pastries - which was more than fine for me. The Inn is not harbor front but is only about 1/2 block from the waterfront. State Street is a short drive or 15 min walk away. There are only a handful of rooms and parking is tight but there is one guaranteed spot for every guest - and no matter where you park in the lot, you will only be steps away from your room. So if you are visiting Santa Barbara and want an affordable, clean and comfortable place to stay, close to everything with a friendly and helpful manager, you definitely need to check out the Castillo Inn. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Everett, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We celebrated our 25th anniversary in Santa Barbara - I'd always wanted to go there. It seemed like all the hotels close to the harbor were independently owned (vs. chains that are pretty consistent) - which scared us a bit since we have family members who run their own independent motels and have seen how bad they can be.... But, after some research, my husband chose the Castillo Inn.

We couldn't have been happier! The room was private and beautifully decorated. We loved sitting on the patio facing the park across the street and reading. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

The Front Desk gave us great restaurant suggestions and a helpful map. The Inn is within walking distance of the harbor and it was nice to take a sunset stroll there every evening. We walked downtown the first day and found it just a bit too far. The next day we drove. But, it was still nice to stroll through some of the surrounding neighborhoods and view some great mid-century California architecture we don't get in the NW.

Loved the bottles of juice and yummy scones in the morning. They were just enough to start our day.

If we ever return to Santa Barbara (which I hope we don't have to wait another 25 years to do), we will stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castillo Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!