“Excellent value and great service” 4 of 5 stars

Castillo Inn at the Beach
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   22 Castillo St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101   |
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Santa Barbara
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here with our 2 sons, aged 22 and 18, in July 2012, as part of a two week road trip in the US, mostly in California. We really enjoyed our short stay here, the room was comfortable, the service friendly and helpful and it was good value. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Going on the reviews from Tripadvisor, I booked a room with a patio on the phone with someone named Jacqui a month before our stay. She said that she would email through our confirmation. Nothing ever arrived. I emailed several times, and finally had to call again. They had our booking, but the promised email still never arrived.

We were on a work trip in L.A, and 2 days before we were due to arrive, we knew our meetings would run over into the evening. We called again to try and cancel or move the first night, but were told there was a 48 hour cancellation policy which we had just missed. How were we to know, we never received anything documenting our booking or their policy? My boyfriend tried to explain, but the manager was obdurate. So we had to rush our meetings and drive late in the evening to make their check-in time.

When we got there, we found a VERY ordinary motel at a price of $200 + tax per night. No outdoor or communal area to hang out in, no pool. Our room had low ceilings, the decor was corporate, we did not get a room with a patio we requested a month prior. One small window looked out onto the parking lot of the motel, another small window looked out onto the parking lot of the motel next door. No view. Dark. Grim. Cooped up with no patio. Not our style.

My boyfriend talked to the manager to see if we could check out the next day as we were unhappy. He was again obdurate that we were bound to stay for the two nights, despite the fact we had never received any confirmation of our booking. As we did not get the room with a patio we requested because my boyfriend is a smoker, and there is no outdoor space at the motel, he smoked one cigarette outside on the stairs while talking to me through the open door.

We were so unhappy with the unfriendly sad motel that we checked out the next morning and went somewhere bright and cheerful with a pool and a good attitude. As a courtesy, we called Castillo Inn on the Beach to tell them they could resell the room for the second night we had paid for.

We spoke to someone called Frank, who said that they had already cancelled our reservation whilst still charging us in full for the two nights, and that they had moreover charged us a $100 'cleaning fee' for smoking in the room. We tried to explain that we hadn't done so, but Frank rudely told us that "this monkey business was not appreciated" ! Words fail. Perhaps if they treated their guests with respect, by confirming their booking and cancellation policy, and giving them the rooms they have requested for a reason, we wouldn't have been forced to smoke outside an open door. There seriously cannot have been more than one puff of smoke that chanced to blow inside the room. We are a polite couple and left the room in perfect condition, but were treated as if we had burnt down their precious motel.

This was a really negative experience which cost us over $500 for one night at this overhyped motel, and ruined our Santa Barbara trip. We were only there for 2 nights and didn't have a chance to relax from having to move. There are so many more worthwhile places in SB to stay. Avoid.

Room Tip: Don't stay there, and if you do, don't expect to get the room you request.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I feel we found a diamond in the rough. I'm a bit of a hotel snob (or just a neat freak, either way...). I don't need the Ritz, but I want something cozy and clean, and this fits the bill! I was SHOCKED at the price. SB is not exactly an affordable place to stay, and my husband and I typically stay at the Canary for triple the cost. Now, this is certainly not the Canary, but for the price it was absolutely perfect. Clean, cozy, refurbished, and beds were very comfy!! Also, close enough to downtown/pier to walk.

Also, the room we originally reserved was unavailable due to water damage in a neighboring room. Our room was originally $99 per night (which was already a great price), but because we needed to change rooms (which was the exact same room on the bottom floor instead of the top), the manager gave us the room for half cost. Yes, you heard it, have cost! We paid $100 for TWO nights. Crazy talk.

Very nice place, very nice manager, will absolutely stay again!! Hope you will visit too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We attempt to be frugal in our hotel choices as we spend most time out exploring and only sleep in the room. After seeing good reviews on here and calling to find out that their "winter" rate was well below many of the surrounding hotels, I was convinced that this hotel would work for us. Well it more than works for us! We were pleasantly surprised to enter our room and see the spaciousness--room 12, king bed corner room. We have a one-year-old and are always trying to determine the best place to put his pack-n-play...no problem here! Plenty of room for him to explore and for us to shove the crib in a corner. Room is very nicely updated and well kept. Linens are very soft and comfortable and beds as well. Bathroom looks like it belongs in a much fancier hotel. Great location too--walking distance to the water and bike path, cute playground (ages 1-3), and marina. Shuttle stops just a block away to take you to the wharf, zoo, etc. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Spent one night here and was upgraded without even asking. The room was nicely decorated and very comfortable. It even had a charger for my I phone and a DVD player. The complimentary breakfast was just enough with fresh fruit and a few pastries. The coffee was surprisingly good. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2012
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed overnight on road trip down the coast and just needed a comfortable clean room for the night. The Castillo Inn suited us perfectly. Our family of 4 shared a room with 2 Queen beds - beds & pillows were very comfortable. The man at reception leant us umbrellas & gave us a map and directions of where to walk through town & to a great Mexican restaurant for dinner. A basic continental breakfast was included in the room rate which you collected in the reception area and ate in your room. We were happy with our choice and thought it was great value for a budget hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Thanks to TripAdvisor reviews, we always seem to find that the hotel lives up to it's name. I loved being at this hotel because:
1. Dan was incredibly friendly and helpful. He gave us good information so that we could enjoy our stay in Santa Barbara. Thanks to him, we were pleased with all our choices.
2. Walking into the room, I immediately felt at home not like all hotels. The bedding and decor didn't look or feel so much as the normal hotel deco. There is a filtered water faucet in bathroom which is very handy making coffee or making sure you get hydrated enough.
3. I love the intimacy of the hotel, small, easy to just walk out your door as like a home.
4. Lots of light, two doors, one on the front side with a little patio and tables to sit and drink coffee. and the other door leads right to your car. There are lots of windows with plantation shutters for maximum privacy but also lets in light and still maintains privacy. This was a big point for me as sometimes I feel claustrophobic in a hotel room if it is too dark or too recessed.
5. Room clean and free of any odors or sprays to mask odors. Again, it felt like home to me.
6. My husband and I both slept very well which is not always the case in most hotels.
7. An easy walk to Amtrak train station which we rode up from San Diego County.
8. Walking distance to restaurants, the pier, the harbor.
9. Nice sheltered feeling, kind of off the main drag but yet close to it.
10. Two luggage holders where most rooms only have one and one person doesn't have a place to set their suitcase. Just showed consideration for all the needs one might have.
Last but not least, it was our 20th anniversary and it was certainly memorable and what we had hoped for.
After having stayed here, I would pick Castillo Inn again over all the places I saw while we were walking around primarily because of the intimacy and value for the place which was what we were looking for. Did I say this was a great price and value for what you get!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Castillo Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!